Active Topics

Author Topic: Hel brake lines ABS  (Read 1659 times)

Offline voyager

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Bath
Hel brake lines ABS
on: 13 May 20, 06:02:48
I see that Hel are now advertising a 5 line set for all years of the SX.
What are the lines and how do these connect up?

Thanks in anticipation.
You're not seriously gonna believe this man, are you? ARE YOU? HE ISN'T EVEN FROM 'ROUND HERE!

Offline Foxy

• SX Master
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
Re: Hel brake lines ABS
Reply #1 on: 14 May 20, 09:35:09
I've got that setup on mine but fitted it a few years ago so will have to have a look to confirm but it was a 5 line kit. There are feeds to a union block on the front right hand side of the frame, to the ABS pump, front and rear calipers. The front was easy to fit but the rear to the ABS pump was a pig to fit if I remember rightly.

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
Reply #2 on: 15 May 20, 06:54:36
The 5 lines are:

Front master cylinder to the solid line to the abs servo, joining close to the headstock on the frame.
From a second solid line from the abs servo, on the frame, to the joint at the forks.
Two separate lines, from the forks, one to each caliper.
The fifth line is from the joint block on another line from the servo inside the frame above the swingarm bearing (ish),  to the rear caliper.

That last one is a bit of a bugger to get to as Foxy stated.  I found that I could access it with a long extension bar through from the left hand side of the bike.

All of the solid lines have a flexible component close to the servo, but are not in these kits.

I am curious as to why you ask the question.  Are you questioning if the kit is correct?

Non Abs models would have fewer lines (4 presumably).
2017 Z1000SX, in black.  Roughly 70000 miles and 8 years on SXs.

Offline Foxy

• SX Master
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
Reply #3 on: 15 May 20, 07:57:32
Did yours bleed OK Burty? I'm still not 100% happy with mine and have tried all the tricks in the booking including replacing caliper seals front and rear (not done the master cylinder yet). They're OK with regular use but if I leave it a few hours / days there is definitely a soft first pump?

Offline voyager

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Bath
Reply #4 on: 15 May 20, 08:41:05
Thanks I was wondering if there was line going to the ABS from the rear (and front) I've recently replaced the rear piped line to the ABS block and its pain do

Presumably you can just replace the lines that dont lead to the ABS.

*Originally Posted by burty [+]
The 5 lines are:

Front master cylinder to the solid line to the abs servo, joining close to the headstock on the frame.
From a second solid line from the abs servo, on the frame, to the joint at the forks.
Two separate lines, from the forks, one to each caliper.
The fifth line is from the joint block on another line from the servo inside the frame above the swingarm bearing (ish),  to the rear caliper.

That last one is a bit of a bugger to get to as Foxy stated.  I found that I could access it with a long extension bar through from the left hand side of the bike.

All of the solid lines have a flexible component close to the servo, but are not in these kits.

I am curious as to why you ask the question.  Are you questioning if the kit is correct?

Non Abs models would have fewer lines (4 presumably).
You're not seriously gonna believe this man, are you? ARE YOU? HE ISN'T EVEN FROM 'ROUND HERE!

Offline burty

• SX God
Reply #5 on: 15 May 20, 08:41:53
Hi Foxy,  To tell you the truth I did mine nearly 5 years ago now as part of a significant set of work on my bike.  I did replace all the caliper and m/c seals at the same time and I recall the result being a night and day improvement over the old.

I imagine that I had to spend some time bleeding and probably I would have tied the lever back overnight at some point.  But due to other work on the bike (I did a full suspension rebuild and various other work, and the bike sat for a while) at the time I probably bled the brakes several times over a period before getting the bike out.

Offline burty

• SX God
Reply #6 on: 15 May 20, 08:57:17
*Originally Posted by voyager [+]
Thanks I was wondering if there was line going to the ABS from the rear (and front) I've recently replaced the rear piped line to the ABS block and its pain do

Presumably you can just replace the lines that dont lead to the ABS.

I would be tempted to replace all of the flexible lines.  I don't think leaving any of the flexible lines un-replaced is good practice to be honest and may not represent significant saving.

Offline burty

• SX God
Reply #7 on: 16 May 20, 03:53:19
Here's a couple of shots of the connector on the rear brake line.

It's bolted to the frame using the bolt bottom right.  On my 2011 bike I managed to remove this bolt using a long extension bar from the left hand side of the frame.  This gave me enough slack to pull the block out and remove the connector.  There is less room on the later bikes due to the water reservoir on the left hand side above the swingarm pivot now being partially in the way.  I think you should still be able to still get at it in a similar manner.

Online maccmike

• SX God
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Reply #8 on: 16 May 20, 04:00:55
Just replaced the brake lines on mine, removing the rear shock makes the job so much easier and it is only 2 bolts.

Offline bobw

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2014 Green MEF
  • City / Town: Southampton
Reply #9 on: 25 May 20, 03:17:14
Just to hijack thread I have a full set of HEL brake hoses kit number HBF 4770 for Z1000SX  in black carbon look with chrome/silver ends for sale in items for sale section £100 posted UK only bought kit and not had time to fit and now bike is sold.This kit replaces all front and rear flexi hoses to connect to ABS frame based  connectors.
Better to arrive 10 minutes late in this world than 30 years too early for the next.

expletive