Active Topics

Author Topic: Handling  (Read 786 times)

Offline Harley

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000
Handling
on: 25 Mar 20, 01:53:29
Had my z1000 from new 2019 now done 2500 miles
Had many bikes and love this one but the handling, which I can only put down to tyres is diabolical. White lines and any slight protrusion and it’s all over the place as if they needed replacing. The wear is minimal.
I have heard the occasional comments about tyres but would have thought that it would have been all over the forums
The ones fitted are battlax hypersport s20. Have checked pressures

Offline Ascalon

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx ABS
  • City / Town: Dublin
Re: Handling
Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 20, 02:02:39
Have you done a suspension set up at all?

Have you set the sag for your own weight (in riding gear)?

It is definitely worth the half an hour it would take, with a mate, to get it sorted.

Once you have properly set tyre pressures, and ensure that there is no uneven/unusual wear, then suspension set up should be your next port of call.

Also, check the steering head bearings.

Get a jack underneath the sump, preferably with the rear on a paddock stand, and get the front wheel off the ground. gently move the bars for lock to lock and test for any grainy feeling, or notchiness, as this could also contribute to poor handling.

I have read a few reviews of the 2017 and 2020 bikes that refer to the older models (2010 and 2014) as being slow steering and reluctant to turn in.

I sorted all of the above and run Roadtec 01s and find the turn in just nice.  It's just this side of sharp.

Nullius in verba.
Bike mods: MRA screen, Powerbronze hugger, crash bungs, OEM heated grips, fork sliders, swingarm bobbins, total loss f*cks system.

Offline Harley

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000
Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 20, 02:15:22
Hi Ascalon thanks for reply. Can’t imagine it’s head stock bearings or anything as it’s only a few months old but I will check the suspension set up. If it is this I’d be surprised as it is that bad but will check, when we’re allowed out again

Offline Ascalon

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx ABS
  • City / Town: Dublin
Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 20, 02:19:14
Fair point, but not impossible.

Sometimes manufacturers are notoriously stingy with assembly grease and a combination of things can mean uncharacteristic wear. However, you are correct, it is an outlier at this stage.

I have heard heavy criticism of OEM tyres, so maybe get shot of whats on it and just go for a good new tyre.

All the best.
Nullius in verba.
Bike mods: MRA screen, Powerbronze hugger, crash bungs, OEM heated grips, fork sliders, swingarm bobbins, total loss f*cks system.

Offline Nelix

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 20, 03:08:32
Mine was the same.

£60 pro suspension set up and night and day.

Offline Westy23

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Ninja 1000sx
  • City / Town: Ware
Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 20, 04:16:00
Can i ask who you used for £60.?

Offline Darseyno1

• SX Master
  • Bike: Kawasaki sx 1000
Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 20, 05:04:36
I have set my suspension up as good as I can for my style or ridding. I had the tyres swapped for Michelin pp5's. The back one is a 55. I have no issues with tracking the white lines or groves in the road and count the bike a really good handling machine.
"ye must be born again"

Offline Teaboy

• SX Master
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
  • City / Town: Nth Lincolnshire
Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 20, 06:13:37
Up the rear preload soften the front fit a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and enjoy

Offline Nelix

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 20, 07:06:26
*Originally Posted by Westy23 [+]
Can i ask who you used for £60.?

A dealer in Scotland who fortunately have a suspension guru working for them.

Offline dreameruk

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2019
Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 20, 08:49:40
I have a 2019 bike and am in no way shape or form an experienced rider, but I thought the same.  Had a suspension setup done which made a big difference, and also changed the stock tyres which transformed it (a puncture brought forward my decision to change tyres, but I think I would have done it anyway).  Much more settled, completely confidence inspiring, no more horrible wanderings, and feel much more connected with the road.