Active Topics

Author Topic: paddock stand problems  (Read 601 times)

Offline aljaxon

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2018
  • City / Town: hull
paddock stand problems
on: 25 Feb 20, 07:55:17
my rear paddock stand which ive used for years with no problems on my zx6r zx9r gtr1400 wont work with my sx
it has hooks and the tops of the stand foul the mufflers before the hooks have made proper purchase of the bobbins.
ive looked on ebay for smaller hooks or L shaped "hooks" to support the swing arm but none seem to be available with my pin diameter. 12.7mm

has anyone else come across this and found a solution? (apart from buying another paddock stand.)

i can imagine xtra large diameter bobbins might work or if i extended them outwards past the mufflers (might get a bit scary ie bolt bending) or fit some steel tubing over the bobbins to increase the distance to muffler but again a bit dodgy as the hooks wont be held in the bobbins grooves. or get someone to cut and weld my present hooks.

any other/better ideas?
Z1000SX 2018
ZX9R 1998
RD250A 1974
PUCH M50 SPORTS
PALOMA D.A.S.L

Online NoddyNinja

• SX Master
  • Bike: Aprilia Tuono V4
  • City / Town: Rossendale
Re: paddock stand problems
Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 20, 09:23:05
Use the "Search" function, rear bobbins or rear stand
Will bring up thread with good info
Think solution is Kawasaki oem bobbins
Enjoying the V4 "ROAR"

Offline aljaxon

• SX Member
Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 20, 09:15:44
i always search first before posting on any topic but didnt find anything apart from the L brackets for swing arm which i cant source for my stand.
unless the kawasaki bobbins are 60mm in diameter or more (which looking at the pictures seems doubtfull) my stand tops will foul before the hook takes hold

i either take the mufflers off or buy another stand or drill mine out to take readily available 17mm pin L brackets. doubt the stand is up to it tbh.

ive found some 10-13mm diameter pins (the seller was that vague) and will try them. if i could raise the height of the back end by 15mm my stand would work

so would a big hammer dent to the underside of the muffler......

Z1000SX 2018
ZX9R 1998
RD250A 1974
PUCH M50 SPORTS
PALOMA D.A.S.L

Offline KD

• SX God
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Warminster
Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 20, 10:27:06
You need something like this ...

Regards David.

2018 Kawasaki Z1000SX WJF.
2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRT.

Offline MarchHare

• SX Member
Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 20, 07:28:34
I tried various solutions but never really found a satisfactory one. I have a few paddock stands of different lengths and adjustability but all foul the rear number plate/mudguard when positioning or require the bike to be upright in order to place the paddock stand in position. I have the Kwak bobbins fitted which are fine but, in order not to foul the silencer are necessarily very short.
I had sort of settled into holding the bike upright whilst inserting the stand then levering it up but then had a major issue when it slipped off and stuck the paddock stand pointy bit right through my Akra carbon fibre sleeve. Not a happy moment! (note; resleeve kit direct form Akra is £200. Painful but £800 cheaper than a dealer supplied replacement end can!).
Anyway, I now use an Abba stand. A little more involved to fit than a paddock stand but does the job safely and securely. For chain lubing I have a little £35 eBay roller thing which is a doddle to use on the rear wheel and, again, has no real downside risk.

Offline aljaxon

• SX Member
Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 20, 10:07:00
yeah on both my ninjas you knew one false move and the carbon fibre akra silencer was totalled.

5 mins to take the mufflers off. problem solved

but if those swing arm L brackets fit-  then jobs a gud un.
Z1000SX 2018
ZX9R 1998
RD250A 1974
PUCH M50 SPORTS
PALOMA D.A.S.L

Offline aljaxon

• SX Member
Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 20, 01:00:03
im a builder and fairly strong but i simply could not get the bike on the paddock stand with the L-shaped swing arm mounts.
with the hooks everything is loose and helps the pivot/leverage but with the L mounts it adds rigidity.

as per recommendations on here  :828:i got an abba stand - the basic one is it superbike?
takes a tiny bit longer to put on the stand than a conventional hooked stand plus you cant move the bike around once supported unlike  the ones with wheels.

but it works and there's no heart in the mouth hook through the muffler moments :047:
Z1000SX 2018
ZX9R 1998
RD250A 1974
PUCH M50 SPORTS
PALOMA D.A.S.L

expletive