Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Over revving  (Read 352 times)

Offline Nickynoo

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
Over revving
« on: November 08, 2019, 07:15:25 PM »
Evening. I am after some advice if poss. I bought my second model a few months ago and really pleased with it.
The only thing is when I slow down and close the throttle it tends to over rev at about 1500 rpm for a couple of seconds before returning to tick over speed of 1200.
Has anyone else noticed this? This is a 2019 model. My 2014 model never did this.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline kernowjim1

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
Re: Over revving
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 07:46:42 PM »
Quite normal, my 2018 does the same.  I presume it's an anti-stall set up on the ECU - nothing to worry about.

Offline yorkie

• SX Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 09:07:18 AM »
Likewise, mine (2019) does exactly the same.

Offline SteveMat

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Green Tourer
  • City / Town: Blackwood
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 09:13:39 AM »
I think I read somewhere that it's something to do with down shifting and the clutch?  I.e. it's meant to do it.

Offline HangoverIan

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2019
  • City / Town: Dorking
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 10:59:57 AM »
I've noticed that when I'm slowing down and downshifting, the bike seems to hold the revs. Not sure I've worked out the exact behaviour yet but on several occasions, once I shift from 4th to 3rd it stops doing it.
Maybe it's trying to be helpful but it's a feature I could happily do without.

Offline kernowjim1

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 11:47:10 AM »
it's a common feature of modern vehicles in general - we have a 2019 Fiesta ST and when idling in neutral and you then press the clutch pedal the revs jump up in preparation for moving off, all without touching the accelerator  - it's the computer age!

Offline HangoverIan

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2019
  • City / Town: Dorking
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 12:24:34 PM »
Yes, these wretched computers are ruining everything! I enjoy the art of rev-matching to achieve smoother downshifts and what happens: the bike's doing it for me.  :003:
At least my 2019 model doesn't have a quick shifter so I still need to pull the clutch in when changing gear.

Offline ed

• SX Master
  • Bike: '17 perf tourer
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 01:18:05 PM »
On my 2017 model, on the rare occasions that I  come to a halt in a high gear like 4th, I have wondered why the idle speed is raised. But then I remember that it always does that and the revs drop when you knock it down to 2nd or 1st. I think it's trying to recognise that you never change into / out of higher gears with low revs so this will make the change smoother if you don't make an effort to match the engine speed to roadspeed and gear?