Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Looking to do this in July  (Read 986 times)

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Tudor Rebel
  • Bike: 2017 NCC-1701
  • City / Town: Northampton
Looking to do this in July
« on: October 22, 2019, 09:41:12 PM »
Laying here in bed and musing about my tour to Croatia next year, had a quick play on Google Maps and want to do something like this.

Feedback/discuss ...that’s how  the best ideas come along

To Calais 1 day

Calais to Stelvio pass, 3/4 days

To Venice, 1 day

To Croatia, 1 day (another day just mooching about)

To Grossglockner, 1 day

Then to Czech 2 days (another day just mooching about)

Then Calais 3 days

1 day home

So 15/16 days total, can cut it down to 13 but then trip is a lot tighter

Just had a real quick look at this so not set in stone, plus worried that it’s a lot of miles, in a pretty short period.

Open to changing route, plus times, 3 must for me is the 2 Alp passes & Croatia

Would anyone here be keen on something like this?

This as I said is a very rough outline, just laying here in bed musing on the iPad
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: Looking to do this in July
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 12:21:27 AM »
I would not bother with the Stelvio, however the Grossglockner is superb.
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline KD

• SX God
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Warminster
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 04:44:46 AM »
How far into Croatia are you planning on going? If your thinking of getting to Dubrovnik then may I suggest you don't have enough days in your plan.
As Colin has stated... The Stelvio isn't brilliant (But if your set on ticking it off). GrossGlockener is amazing. The Timmelsjoch is nice too.
Regards David.

2018 Kawasaki Z1000SX WJF.
2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRT.

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Tudor Rebel
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 07:40:00 AM »
Not sure how far, I will go into Croatia, I kinda like to plan on the go, nothing set in stone, definitely do not wanting to be chasing a schedule.

Want to do the Stelvio as not done it, plus it’s kinda on the route so be rude not to.

While I don’t want a schedule I’m mindful of time, don’t want to be gone longer than 15/16 days tbh.

Taking that this will be my second tour of 2020.
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

Offline Raginghulk

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000 SX
  • City / Town: Cramlington
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 07:09:11 PM »
I’d second missing out on stelvio.
We did Europe into Italy in September Best passes are in Austria and Switzerland, furnaces was my favourite.
Stelvio was busy, poor quality roads, so many switch backs it became boring and they are so tight you almost need to stop in case traffic is coming the other way.
Of 2 full weeks in Europe and 2600 miles, stelvio was the worst part!!

I hadn’t done it either and wanted to cross it off but after doing it have told anyone that will listen it was rubbish.

Just my view of course 😄
If your not smiling after a ride, go and do it again till you are!!
😃😃😃

Offline ed

• SX Master
  • Bike: '17 perf tourer
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 12:08:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Raginghulk [+]
I’d second missing out on stelvio.
We did Europe into Italy in September Best passes are in Austria and Switzerland, furnaces was my favourite.
Stelvio was busy, poor quality roads, so many switch backs it became boring and they are so tight you almost need to stop in case traffic is coming the other way.
Of 2 full weeks in Europe and 2600 miles, stelvio was the worst part!!

I hadn’t done it either and wanted to cross it off but after doing it have told anyone that will listen it was rubbish.

Just my view of course 😄
I agree, last June I was on a tour of the Alps and Stelvio was on my intended route, but I  decided to skip it the night before as it looked so tight and bumpy and busy on the live webcams and YouTube videos.
  Didn't regret my choice to miss it, there are much better smoother wider climbs. Grossglockner is good, but can get very busy on a nice day.
I didn't enjoy Timmelsjoch either - too bumpy and busy.
I really enjoyed some of the quieter less epic mountain passes - there are many.
I've been to the Alps many times, but after riding in Spain for a fortnight a few weeks ago, I much prefer it to the Alps. Alps weather is very hit and miss too.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:11:04 AM by ed »

Offline Himself

• SX Member
  • Adventure Before Dementia
  • Bike: 2018 SX
  • City / Town: Newark, Notts
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 08:24:57 AM »
We have a similar plan for 2020, although we are cheating and using Bike Shuttle to get to Geneva in one day.

Mont Blanc tunnel to Mugello GP and then Anaconda for the ferry to Split. From there we wander about until needing to be back in Geneva. 16 days.

I was watching AndyManCam on youtube as he filmed a Stelvio - Croatia trip and reached the same conclusion. Stelvio is (was) on the bucket list, but I'm struggling to understand why having watched the video. The one good tip he did mention was to go up early or late in the day. The traffic thins out dramatically.

Now searching for GrossGlockener ... :828:

Offline Himself

• SX Member
  • Adventure Before Dementia
  • Bike: 2018 SX
  • City / Town: Newark, Notts
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 08:29:58 AM »

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Tudor Rebel
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 08:52:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Himself [+]
We have a similar plan for 2020, although we are cheating and using Bike Shuttle to get to Geneva in one day.

Mont Blanc tunnel to Mugello GP and then Anaconda for the ferry to Split. From there we wander about until needing to be back in Geneva. 16 days.

I was watching AndyManCam on youtube as he filmed a Stelvio - Croatia trip and reached the same conclusion. Stelvio is (was) on the bucket list, but I'm struggling to understand why having watched the video. The one good tip he did mention was to go up early or late in the day. The traffic thins out dramatically.

Now searching for GrossGlockener ... :828:

That Bike shuttle pretty good idea, but they do like to nickel and dime you.
Will have a think about using it, as the UK, and France bit is not the best tbh. (imo)

Be quite good to get that far in 1 day, more time riding the places I want to.
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

Online Brickit

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2014
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 11:49:32 PM »
If you are going to Croatia make sure you do the E65 Split to Rijeka coast road. 212miles of smiles. You know you are in the right area when biker cafes start appearing and the boy racers start buzzing round.
In the North East of Slovenia the Vrsic pass is worth a go and to my mind the Timmelsjoch north of Morano is one of the few big name passes that is still worth riding. There are a whole lot of Alpine routes and passes  off the main drags that offer fantastic roads with less traffic and less restrictions. Staying in one place for a few days and talking to the locals can get you some real treats. Somewhere like Morano, which is in Italy, is very pleasant not too expensive and has some great rideouts.