Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spain at end of May, Yes, or No  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Tudor Rebel
  • Bike: 2017 NCC-1701
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Spain at end of May, Yes, or No
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 08:20:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by ed [+]
I've just booked my Ferry too - going on 22 May, returning 7th June. No idea where I will go yet, but based on the tour of Spain that I did last month I'm tempted to skip the Pyrenees, Picos and coasts and aim for central and southern Spain as that was where I found best and quietest roads to ride and towns to stay in.
Can't wait!!!

That’s so strange those are the exact days I wanted to go, but had to change as missus is away (work) from 2 June to the 5th.

Had the ferry all sorted and had to change dates..we would have ended up on same ferry!
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

Offline MarchHare

• SX Member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 10:39:59 AM »
One or two other observations; most restaurants don't open until 8.30 or 9pm and most hotels (away from business districts) don't serve breakfast until 8.30. As someone who likes to get an early start and eat about 7 or 7.30 pm this took a bit of getting used to. In the end I got the late start, it can be bloody cold up to lunchtime and biking in mid/late afternoon is much more pleasant. However I tended to get stuff from a supermarket for a meal in the evening and usually skipped lunch.
Coffee stops are plentiful and its nearly always 1 Euro for coffee and "Americano" seemed to be widely understood if you don't want just a teaspoonful of pure caffeine in a cup!
I found there was a good availability of hotels around £35 a night and the cheaper hotels were often more welcoming and friendly though English was rarely spoken. This was not really a problem except when it came to them explaining parking availability. This varied widely, some hotels had private car parks but wanted to charge but mostly free parking was fairly easy to find. The greatest challenge is likely to be in historic centres where all street parking is restricted. In this case I found that bike parking in green marked bays was allowed but parking on the pavement was not. One hotel let me park the bike in reception! In bigger towns there was quite a lot of bike bays and a quick "drive around" on Google Earth before hand helped find it.

Offline gavuk

• SX Member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 11:32:04 AM »
In 2017 did the coast of West France to northern Spain in early June and was roasting hot. We returned on the Santander to Plymouth Brittany ferry. Small hotel we stayed in was fab with a fixed menu (written in Spanish and no-one in our group had any Spanish and staff spoke no English.. luckly a Spanish man staying on business from Barcelona came to all our rescues). Food and wine (included in the meal as one bottle per person) was about 10€ for 3 courses!!
Best ride was hotel (sorry can't recall exactly where it was) to Pamplona was about 40 mixed miles of riding bliss.
Wherever you go you'll love Spain.
Enjoy

Offline Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Bike: XR34 and TZ350
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 02:17:05 PM »
I used to live in Gibraltar and the weather mid to end of May is pretty much perfect for riding.  Also if you are down that way the roads round Ronda and Granada are awesome - just watch out for Spanish drivers on the mountain bits - there is a tendency to cut corners - which provides the occasional unwanted shock to the system. 

Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline ed

• SX Master
  • Bike: '17 perf tourer
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 07:32:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocky the Dog [+]
I used to live in Gibraltar and the weather mid to end of May is pretty much perfect for riding.  Also if you are down that way the roads round Ronda and Granada are awesome - just watch out for Spanish drivers on the mountain bits - there is a tendency to cut corners - which provides the occasional unwanted shock to the system.
Yes great roads around there- I stayed one night in Ronda last month right by the bull ring and the bridge over the gorge.

My biggest fright from Spanish drivers was when speeding  car behind set off the speed related traffic light in a village. I stopped at the red and he nearly ran into the back if me- tyres chirping drew him to my attention. It was an old boy in a battered Skoda...

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Tudor Rebel
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 10:32:54 PM »
I lived in Spain for around 3 years, but never rode a bike there.

Really looking forward to this, booked a hotel in Santander for the first night.

Still undecided if I should take camping gear or not, if it’s gets cold be a bit crap at night, but I do prefer camping.

On the other hand going to Croatia the month or so after, so could get my camping fill there.
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Tudor Rebel
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 09:12:47 PM »
Only another 193 days to wait  :745:
KawaGreenSexy Goddess