Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spain at end of May, Yes, or No  (Read 1365 times)

Offline MarchHare

• SX Member
Re: Spain at end of May, Yes, or No
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 04:31:56 PM »
Just got back from 3 weeks touring Spain over the end of September/beginning October. I followed Ride Magazine's GPS "Grand Tour" route and did about 4,500 miles all in. Weather was great but be prepared for cold mornings! I hit 4 degrees in the North and that wasn't high in the Pyrenees and 7 or 8 was quite common up until 11 or 12 AM. The Ride Mag routes were fantastic and there are just so many superb roads though bear in mind most of them tend to wind up through the hills and mountains of which there are loads in Spain. It's not all about the Pyrenees!

Offline MarchHare

• SX Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 04:33:48 PM »
This sort of thing...

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Tudor Rebel
  • Bike: 2017 NCC-1701
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 06:15:57 PM »
Looks brilliant, yeah forgot about the ride magazine route, think I will do that as well.

Cheers   :047:
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Tudor Rebel
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 06:38:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Darseyno1 [+]
I went in September and camped every night and it was fantastic. I think for to the ten nights that I was there the total bill for camping was 51 euros. Cheap as chips and the sites were fantastic. There are campsites everywhere and easy to find.

Sounds good, was a tad bit, am still a bit worried about rain, as while it’s still ok to ride, it does dampen (yup pun intended) the fun, a bit.

Well she booked now, will decide closer to the time as to camping or not, in most ways I prefer camping on motorcycle tours, as just feels more real.

But hotels/bed breakfast have the upside of a lot less work, and a a few more cold beers
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

Offline Jimbrodie1

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Nantwich
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 09:12:02 PM »
Some one has to have the sensible (re- boring) head on.

But I have also done the Pyrenees 2 years ago and followed the Ride Route (first 3 days anyway) and I've got to say Ralph yes the roads are brilliant but many of them are quite remote and very unpopulated which is great but if you are travelling alone and you lob it mate you could be some time before someone comes past to help you.

If you are going to do the Pyrenees I really would advise getting a buddy to go along with you.

Don't miss the L500 off the 260 best road I've ever ridden although I did wish I was on a Supermoto at times.

:028:

Offline ed

• SX Master
  • Bike: '17 perf tourer
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 01:05:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jimbrodie1 [+]

But I have also done the Pyrenees 2 years ago and followed the Ride Route (first 3 days anyway) and I've got to say Ralph yes the roads are brilliant but many of them are quite remote and very unpopulated which is great but if you are travelling alone and you lob it mate you could be some time before someone comes past to help you.

If you are going to do the Pyrenees I really would advise getting a buddy to go along with you.

Don't miss the L500 off the 260 best road I've ever ridden although I did wish I was on a Supermoto at times.

I rode the Ride magazine tour of Spain last month plus a few of their Pyrenees day trips. I rode alone, staying in hotels and B&Bs. I had an absolutely fantastic time. My best bike trip ever. Yes, you have to be a bit careful being alone in the mountains (especially as there's no mobile signal a lot of the time...). It's  no worse than the Alps though and I've ridden alone over tricky passes between Austria and Italy in thunder and hail storms But it's an adventure and riding a motorcycle is all about taking conscious risks, enjoying the freedom etc. I'm busting to go back in 2020, just need to agree what dates I am able to go and then book my ferry!
PS the SX was brilliant for the job.

Offline sergio71

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 12:45:16 PM »
Hello, I live in Barcelona and I have traveled many times in the Pyrenees, both in Spanish and French.
Here the roads are spectacular, being able to advise you good areas in Catalonia depending on the days you plan to be in this area.
A very advisable route is the Transpirenaica, they are about 900km that can be done in three days perfectly, there are many variants that you can watch online.
I leave you a link where you can download the route.

https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-motociclismo/transpirenaica-en-moto-10055536

For any questions I will be happy to help you.
Sorry for the translation.
Regards

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Tudor Rebel
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 07:23:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jimbrodie1 [+]

I agree would prefer to go with someone, unfortunately when it comes to bikes besides my son, I'm 'Billy no mates' when it comes to motorcycles. cant magic up a biker friend  :006:

*Originally Posted by ed [+]
I rode the Ride magazine tour of Spain last month plus a few of their Pyrenees day trips. I rode alone, staying in hotels and B&Bs. I had an absolutely fantastic time. My best bike trip ever. Yes, you have to be a bit careful being alone in the mountains (especially as there's no mobile signal a lot of the time...). It's  no worse than the Alps though and I've ridden alone over tricky passes between Austria and Italy in thunder and hail storms But it's an adventure and riding a motorcycle is all about taking conscious risks, enjoying the freedom etc. I'm busting to go back in 2020, just need to agree what dates I am able to go and then book my ferry!
PS the SX was brilliant for the job.
Yup I've done the Alps twice now on the Sx, brilliant, I always tend tour alone, besides not having biker mates,  I don't want to have to ride at
someone else's pace, be it slower or faster than mine.

My idea of riding together is 'set up' meet points, then everyone gets there at their own pace.

If some ride the same pace, good, if not good, nothing worse than having your ride changed to fit another.

Im pretty sure in a group of 10, I would be the slowest  :008:

*Originally Posted by sergio71 [+]
Hello, I live in Barcelona and I have traveled many times in the Pyrenees, both in Spanish and French.
Here the roads are spectacular, being able to advise you good areas in Catalonia depending on the days you plan to be in this area.
A very advisable route is the Transpirenaica, they are about 900km that can be done in three days perfectly, there are many variants that you can watch online.
I leave you a link where you can download the route.

https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-motociclismo/transpirenaica-en-moto-10055536

For any questions I will be happy to help you.
Sorry for the translation.
Regards
No that looks brilliant, want to try download that and see if I can get it onto the Garmin!
Thanks

Still need to decide if the tent comes with or stays behind!
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

Offline Streak198507

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 08:41:09 PM »
N240 and N260 into Andorra

best piece of road I have ridden and ive done over half of Europe so far

Offline ed

• SX Master
  • Bike: '17 perf tourer
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 11:01:50 PM »
I've just booked my Ferry too - going on 22 May, returning 7th June. No idea where I will go yet, but based on the tour of Spain that I did last month I'm tempted to skip the Pyrenees, Picos and coasts and aim for central and southern Spain as that was where I found best and quietest roads to ride and towns to stay in.
Can't wait!!!

expletive