Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is there such a thing as gloves that work at -1?  (Read 976 times)

Offline Popinman

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
Re: Is there such a thing as gloves that work at -1?
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 07:04:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
+1 for heated clothing!!

I have the Keiss heated inner gloves, which are cheaper than complete gloves and allow you to wear your regular winter gloves over the top.

I also have the Keiss heated jacket which is a real benefit on the motorway in the mid winter doing early morning starts and blood runs during the night  :190:

Having said that, given my money again, I would go for Gerbing instead of Keiss and I would buy the full outer gloves. Inner gloves are good but they keep your hand at an ambient temp, rather than actually warm.
I've also been told that the Gerbing stuff (German made) lasts and works a bit better, from riders who have tried both.

I agree heated clothing can be a faff, but if you've got a medium to long journey or commute, there worth it.

Heated gloves especially, gloves keep your whole hand warm, as opposed to grips that just super heat your palms, and gloves allow you to take your hand off the bar and stay warm too!

Once you get used to wearing the stuff, it will become second nature and you won't mind the extra 30 seconds it takes to plug it in  :018:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1391

Great advice Shandy, thank you. From my limited research it seems the perfect combination is heated grips, heated gloves and hand guards!

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 08:16:07 AM »
+1 for Gerbing gloves. I had my first pair for 5 years before selling them on and buying the short cuff version to suit inside my jacket sleeve, rather than over it. They're great quality and really do the intended job well  :028:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 03:46:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Popinman [+]
Great advice Shandy, thank you. From my limited research it seems the perfect combination is heated grips, heated gloves and hand guards!

:461:

Heated grips are good for when theres slightly colder rides in the Autum or for those early morning starts where you just need something to take the edge off.

Heated gloves are the real game changer and defiantly what you need through the hrsh winter months.

Hand guards are good and bad, just make sure you can remove them in the summer. There good in the winter and cooler days in the spring, they help  by taking off the direct wind chill and give you're heated gloves / grips a chance to work.
But they also stop your hands getting that cooling breeze in the summer, so it's worth taking them off if you can.

good luck and let us know how you get on!  :028:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 03:48:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
+1 for Gerbing gloves. I had my first pair for 5 years before selling them on and buying the short cuff version to suit inside my jacket sleeve, rather than over it. They're great quality and really do the intended job well  :028:

MDR, you're such a  :062: cat!

how'd I guess that you'd make the right purchase first time and go for Gerbing over Keis!  :018:

:037:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Online mdr1970

• SX God
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 06:57:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
MDR, you're such a  :062: cat!

how'd I guess that you'd make the right purchase first time and go for Gerbing over Keis!  :018:

:037:

Oh Shandy, you flatter me so. I'm blushing  :745:

I simply tried before buying. I was at  MotorcycleLive and got to try them against each other before making my choice  :028:

Offline sergio71

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Barcelona

Offline stevo

• SX Master
  • Bike: XSR900 & T120
  • City / Town: West Wittering
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 05:11:39 PM »
Another +1 for the Gerbing Shorties! Fab gloves and well priced. I can also conform that if you don't wanna be tethered to the bike you can buy 2 batteries and put them in your pocket (with a controller) and run them like the bigger gloves and they work just as brilliantly (albeit the overall cost is a bit extra)!!

Offline sooty66

• SX Master
  • Bike: z1000sx 2018
  • City / Town: knaresborough
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 02:24:27 PM »
+1 with foxy,had the acerbis on my hornet,worked well,might take the r&g bar ends off n try them for the colder days on the SX .
Once you've had black,you'll never look back

Offline Duffelcoat

• SX Member
  • Bike: SX
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 02:30:27 PM »
It is always the ends of the fingers that suffer the most and most gloves dont solve this properly (or you lose feel on the bike)

Hand guards (on my last bike) were the things I found made the most difference.

Never tried heated gloves, but they need to work down to the ends of the fingers imo...

Had heated grips on two bikes, and was left thinking they were a waste of money...

Online mdr1970

• SX God
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 03:47:04 PM »