Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pannier Removal  (Read 791 times)

Offline Beetlejuice

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Pannier Removal
« on: September 20, 2019, 02:27:02 PM »
Hi all,

apologies if this has been discussed (i'd be amazed if it hasn't) but i have searched and can't find anything under the heading of this thread so . . . .

Is there a knack to removing the panniers please? I fully understand how to removed them but when I slide the panniers back to lift them off, I then spend the next 10 mins trying to unhook them - they are a total pain in the rear to get off.

When I picked the bike up in June this year, the dealer was showing me the panniers and he had the same trouble but did say that some people remove sticky pad that inserts in the grab handle (I assume for vibrations) to make it easier? Does this work?

Just to note though, I do have the Shad rack on my bike - would the rails be impacting on the removal at all? It doesn't seem to be but wondered if any others with the Shad rack also had problems since fitting it?

Cheers
Beetle

Offline M711

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx XT660X
  • City / Town: Devon
Re: Pannier Removal
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 05:54:00 PM »
Hi Beetlejuice....I have the Shad mounting 3p system on mine with Shad panniers....it's only a matter of seconds to remove them for me.  There is a knack to it tho.  :028:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 06:03:26 PM by M711 »

Offline kernowjim1

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 08:48:05 PM »
They are meant to be tight, the plastic shims fitted stop them rattling about, I'd leave them on because without them the rattling will drive you nuts.  They do loosen up over time making them easier to remove and replace but you have to show them who's boss most of the time anyway.  Maybe try a bit of silicone spray lube on the mounting points before you put them on next time and they should come off easier then.

Offline Teaboy

• SX Master
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
  • City / Town: Nth Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 09:51:15 PM »
My RH pannier slid on and off smooth as silk from day one but the left one went on easy enough but was an absolute nightmare to get off. On close inspection it was easy to see the problem slight quality issue with the lug moulding, could see where they were rubbing. Solution a few light strokes with a fine file and pannier glides on and off perfectly  :046:

Offline HP1

• SX Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »
Mine were an absolute bastard to get on or off, until those pads fell off. Now they go on and off nice and easily, but they rattle over bumps.
Not Kawasaki/Givi's finest moment.

Offline Teaboy

• SX Master
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
  • City / Town: Nth Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 09:08:57 AM »
Leave the pads in carefully clean up the lugs will slide on n off and not rsttles

Offline Beetlejuice

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 02:44:52 PM »
cheers everyone, i'll leave the pads in and maybe take a closer look at the mounting points on the panniers to if any need a slight rub  :028:

Offline tilaus803

• SX Member
  • Bike: z1000sx 2018
  • City / Town: Järvenpää
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 03:21:33 PM »
I have same kind of problem after fitting shad rails. Before pannier glides on and off perfectly. I think front part is kind of stuck. I think pannier don't go high enough to release bag. Did You solve this problem some how?

Offline Brian675

• SX Junior
  • Bike: 2019 ZX1000
  • City / Town: Mission
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 06:24:22 PM »
When I got my panniers, they were thrown in free on the deal, the only thing that didn't come were those little pads and I refused to pay $42 for four bits of plastic. So I used some paper to make templates and than used a plastic off the top of a mouse pad (taking off the foam) and used superglue to put them into the rails. Initially they were too loose, but adding another layer made the panniers slip on and off easily with no rattling. There is a technique though to removing them, but as I do it every day, you just get a technique through habit. Excellent panniers though totally waterproof unlike those on a Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Offline tilaus803

• SX Member
  • Bike: z1000sx 2018
  • City / Town: Järvenpää
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 08:47:14 AM »
Thanks. If problem continues i try that fix.