Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help with seized rear axle nut  (Read 633 times)

Offline Dicky-Art

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: SX LFF 2015 RnB
Help with seized rear axle nut
« on: July 13, 2019, 01:13:10 PM »
Help Help away in a week! 2015 model with 8,000 miles and probably only had the axle nut/spindle out once since new.

The tyre garage couldn't get the spindle nut off. The hex drive was about to round the nut.
Used a 1m breaker bar and a ratchet gun. I was there with them and we decided best to stop before the hex got rounded totally.

I have had blow torch on it; release agent on it; tapped it square on to try and break any corrosion weld. Drilled purchase for a drift to knock it round.
Nothing!

Help needed I'm away for a couple of thousand miles next week and the tyre prob won't last!

Is it the corrosion reaction between dissimilar metals? Over torqued on? Just plain old corrosion? Don't think it's my incompetence? I'm a mechy fitter and worked on bikes and cars all my life but this is the first Kwaka with these eccentric chain adjusters I've had.

How did anyone remedy the situation?
Advise much needed and very much appreciated. Cheers

Offline Dicky-Art

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
Re: Help with seized rear axle nut
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »
The amount of torque I can apply indicates it was over torqued by the last tyre change person.
A breaker bar and 12mm Allen socket rounded the nut. Even after grinding a larger allen socket down from 14mm to hammer in still rounds it.
I can't be the only one that has a seized rounded nut. Mind you the nut isn't hardened and I presume the shaft is.

Maybe weld a M12 bolt in the socket head and use an impact driver!?? Thoughts please.

Offline kernowjim1

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 05:40:42 PM »
Wow that really is tight.  Personally I'd drill it out and discard the entire axle bolt and get a used one from eBay etc - a new axle assembly from Kawasaki is about £90.  I wouldn't even consider using the bike with the old tyre in case of a puncture etc.  Good luck!

Offline cyanide sid

• SX Pro
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 09:01:47 PM »
You could always try drilling it at 9 and 3 oclock to take 4-5 mm steel pins  making a tight a fit as
possible then try turning it off with a breaker bar set below and above the pins .
Hope this makes sense .
If that doesn't work maybe drill it out like kirnowjim1 says

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 11:31:27 PM »
Have you tried tapping the other side? It might just brake any corrosion holding it in place.  :003:
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline Dicky-Art

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 06:42:37 PM »

Eventually got it out! knocked the next size ground down allen key in and welded that to the nut but it started shearing, so welded an impact driver to it.
6' scaffold pole and breaker bar with me bouncing on it! Everything came out easy after that and nothing else seized, shaft not corroded and spacers/washers all good. Ordered the parts hope they arrive before Friday!

No need for it to be torqued so high. Never use a power impact driver to tighten!

Offline cyanide sid

• SX Pro
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 10:01:40 PM »
Bugger me that was one over torqued nut , good job you can do a bit of welding

Offline 1952paul0

• SX Member
  • always kawasaki
  • Bike: Z1000 SX touring
  • City / Town: worthing
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 06:22:04 AM »