Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Insurance mileage restriction  (Read 986 times)

Offline Mr NSB

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Andover
Insurance mileage restriction
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:38:55 PM »
My insurance is due for renewal in 10 days and I believe I have reached my annual mileage on my policy, though I cannot see anywhere in the documentation what the restriction is. I think it is 6000 miles but it could be 6999.

When I was talking to my current insurer (Carole Nash) about my renewal quote I asked about the mileage restriction and the advisor said if I have reached my limit I shouldn’t ride the bike until I talk to them about upping it. They would charge £37.50(I think) admin fee and would calculate the extra insurance cost. I wouldn’t mind paying the extra but object to the admin fee.

Anyway during the call he said was going to find out what my limit was once we finished the quote which I forgot about when we finished the call and now they are closed.

On the policy there is this clause which isn’t too clear whether it is a problem or not.

E068 Mileage Endorsement
Your premium is based on the vehicle's annual mileage, as declared to your broker/agent at inception of this policy. If you exceed this limit within a 12 month period, your policy may be invalidated and in the event of a claim, cover would be inoperative.

Does anybody have any experience of this?

Offline plodgeman

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2012SX
Re: Insurance mileage restriction
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 09:04:07 PM »
It is a feature of all motor vehicle policies now but I am not convinced they really know what they are talking about. For example, I recently renewed my car insurance which included 30,000 business miles and 5,000 private - the premium was £356 fully comp. I left the job I had so contacted the insurance company and told them 10,000 private only………….£347!  :023:
WTF?
I have also been told by my bike insurer that I would not be covered if I exceed my stated annual mileage although they have not asked for the current figure - previous companies have. This is a similar situation with using it for commuting and if you are unemployed.
Ultimately they will tell you that the policy premium is based, among other things, the level of risk relative to the mileage.
Just another way to upsell I am afraid.

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:02:24 PM »
Did you actually declare the mileage on the bike  :187:
I never do, so fall to see how they'll know if I exceed it by a little here and there.
Of course they might check MOT records in the event of an accident, but that's typically at a different month for my bike purposefully
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline Mr NSB

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 11:17:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
Did you actually declare the mileage on the bike  :187:
I never do, so fall to see how they'll know if I exceed it by a little here and there.
Of course they might check MOT records in the event of an accident, but that's typically at a different month for my bike purposefully

I have never declared the mileage in the past but this was a new bike and insured as such so the mileage is a giveaway. Next year it wouldn’t be a problem 😉

Offline KD

• SX God
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Warminster
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 04:56:49 AM »
Hi Neil.
Is the mileage limit not on on your 'Statement of Fact' sheet ???
Regards David.

2018 Kawasaki Z1000SX WJF.
2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRT.

Offline Mr NSB

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 05:26:33 AM »
There is no mention of it at all David.

Offline KD

• SX God
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 02:48:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mr NSB [+]
There is no mention of it at all David.

:027: should be somewhere. I was looking at mine earlier when I put the first comment on.
Regards David.

Offline Mr NSB

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »
Talked with a customer advisor at Carole Nash today and the mileage limit is a guide to base the insurance quote on.

If you stated your annual mileage would be 6k and did 10k then you may have a problem if you made a claim but a 1000 or so over wouldn’t have any affect they say.

The advisor did say some policies will have a restriction which is normally agreed for high value or certain high performance bikes. He has made feel like I ride a slow old banger 😀
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 11:16:44 AM by Mr NSB »

Offline KD

• SX God
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 12:38:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mr NSB [+]
.He has made me feel like I ride a slow old banger 😀

You do don't you ....  :164:
Regards David.

Offline thehammer

• SX Junior
  • The Hammer
  • Bike: MY19 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Chester
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 08:39:59 AM »
Just switched from Swinton to Bikesure, as wanted a good multi bike policy to include the SX and existing 07’ Zx10r. 

Mileage restriction was part of the policy, and had to send back a signed declaration of the current mileage of the bikes along with my proof of NCB.  I went for 3k on SX and think 1k on the 10r, as likely I will sell this within the next year or so.

FYI - Bikesure were brilliant (they are the same company as Adrian Flux who I used for my cars for years)!  Existing insurance for 10r was just under 200.  Bikesure did multi bike for both, with all modifications on both bikes fully listed and it was 360.  Going on prices I was being quoted for SX on its own, this was very good!