Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 subframe  (Read 263 times)

Offline ZX9R

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
2018 subframe
« on: June 23, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »
Hi all,
I've been doing a bit of searching on the forum and elsewhere regarding rear subframe strength/attachment issues.

Unless I've missed a post somewhere, the problems reported seem to be on pre 2014 bikes?

There is also some suggestion that post 2014 bikes have a "beefier" subframe?

Can anyone confirm either of these?

Having said that I also noticed that many owners have used aftermarket topbox/pannier combinations and seem to regularly carry pillions and luggage with no issues.

The reason I ask is that my son (pillion) and I leave for a shortish (10day/2500ish mile) European tour in a few days.

For his safety and confidence I bought the bike (new 2018 ) with the Kawaski topbox option so we will be using that and a tankbag for luggage.

I'm aware of the maximum overall load and rider, pillion and luggage come in with at least 15kg to spare but obviously for safety reasons I want to ensure all is well with the bike.

If necessary I'll dismantle the back of the bike and torque the relevant bolts - time permitting, but would welcome experiences or opinions on this.

Just to add, no problems so far on a 200+ mile test run with both of us and the planned luggage.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 12:20:13 PM by ZX9R »

Offline Teaboy

• SX Pro
  • City / Town: Nth Lincolnshire
Re: 2018 subframe
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 01:14:35 PM »
Just done 2800 miles round Europe on 2018SX fitted with Kawasaki panniers and Shad 39 litre top box with no issues

Offline ZX9R

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 01:46:22 PM »
 :828: Teaboy,

Probably worrying about nothing. It does look like pre 2014 and not a huge number of people with issues so far. I guess just taking my 14yr old is making me extra cautious.

How did you find the seat? Personally I haven't found it any worse than previous bikes yet but then none of them have been particularly comfortable long distance on motorways etc.

Offline Teaboy

• SX Pro
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 01:51:54 PM »
No problems with seat longest day was 300ish miles with a fuel stop and coffee stop could have kept going quite comfortably, can't comment on pillion comfort but young n fit the boy should be fine.
Where are you heading for?

Offline ZX9R

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 02:07:54 PM »
Ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam (about 200 miles south from home) then the Hartz Mountains for a few days. On to Vianden in Luxembourg for another few days then home via Amsterdam again. The longest day will be about 320miles from the ferry to the Hartz, mostly Autobahn.

For the boy's first trip I thought a bit of time in each place rather than all out touring might be best. Don't want to put him off  :018:

Where were you?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 02:11:02 PM by ZX9R »

Offline Teaboy

• SX Pro
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »
Sounds a good trip, I'm in Lincolnshire my recent trip was retracing my Dad's WW2 step France, Belgium, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany and back through France great trip with fabulous weather can recommend Czech fabulous roads and scenery

Offline ZX9R

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 03:13:48 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't mind the Czech Republic at some point. I've heard Romania is interesting as well. Not been that far East yet just the usual Western Europe trips up to now.
That sounds like a good tour though and with purpose behind it. Makes it even more worthwhile  :028: