Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Paddock Stand Woes  (Read 3293 times)

Offline kernowjim1

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
Re: Paddock Stand Woes
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 05:39:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by yorkie [+]
I think the knack with a paddock stand is that you have to be confident and commit to the lift in one swift & smooth action.

Agreed, I used to hold up the bike with my left hand and then start the paddock stand motion with my right hand, then stand on the end of the paddock stand with my right foot, levering the bike up and stand in place.

Offline walmsleyr

• SX Pro
  • Bike: z1000sx 2017
  • City / Town: n.lincs
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »
I have the oxford stand to go on bobbins its a fiddle to get the stand under the number plate and hooked on the bobbins and then a heavy push to get the bike lifted had a couple of scary moments :006:
HONI SONT QUI MAL Y PENSE

Online Harrycaine

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Sussex
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 09:37:31 PM »
Mixed messages from everyone so I have just bought the ABBA adapter I needed to do that anyway. See how I get on with the the extra faf of that, may also buy chain oiler to spread out the need to lift the bike in the first place.

Chap at work with a Versys also struggles to get it up, sometimes he has to get his wife to help, and she holds onto to it firmly and pulls as well, that way it usually comes up ..... :007:

HC

Offline rivertone

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2017
  • City / Town: Castleford
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 12:20:10 PM »
I'm saying nowt.

Offline ZPETE

• SX Pro
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 07:09:14 PM »
Abba stand gives much better access to wheels, chain etc and easy, safe  one person operation. {practise makes perfect) Also, the front adaptor gets  both wheels off the ground and means you can drop forks or check head bearings etc. which you can't with paddock stands.

Offline MarchHare

• SX Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 07:12:44 PM »

Offline Streak198507

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 10:03:14 AM »
wow something so simple being really overdone here

set your paddock stand distances at the start ( get someone to hold bike straight )

Bike on side stand, insert left side of paddock stand near bobbin, left hand pull bike over and with right hand move paddock into position, easy push down on stand and up pops back end. Have done 100's of times on my own with zero issues. Make sure paddock stand V's are set perfect at the start, if your stand distances aren't correct you will always be faffing about to get it right. Just to add it worked the same with my 20 quid Ebay cheap shite stand and my 80 quid decent stand I had no issue with either once gaps set up

Offline Harty

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2019, 07:45:43 PM »
I use a 1Jac bike lift, and I wouldn't be without it. Yeh the initial outlaw is a bit pricey but they very quickly pay for themselves in servicing/tyres etc.

www.1jac.com

Online Harrycaine

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Sussex
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »
I have used paddock stands for years with no problems but with my stand and new Z I can't get it up. The bike is just to heavy. I now have new adapters for my old ABBA stand and that works fine but a bit of a faf for weekly or more chain lube ( I will do 10k miles all weather per year) ... should have bought a lighter bike ... should have bought a BMW

HC
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:50:31 PM by Harrycaine »

Online Nelix

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2019, 08:00:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Harrycaine [+]
I have used paddock stands for years with no problems but with my stand and new Z I can't get it up. The bike is just to heavy. I now have new adapters for my old ABBA stand and that works fine but a bit of a faf for weekly or more chain lube ( I will do 10k miles all weather per year) ... should have brought a lighter bike ... should have bought a BMW

HC

The Z weighs less than my 8th gen VFR800 did.