Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Member and soon to be owner....  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
Re: New Member and soon to be owner....
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 07:07:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by thehammer [+]
:830:

Test ride yesterday and have to say was blown away by the Z1SX.....great engine and good road manners!  Forgot how nice it was to riding more upright, with power on tap.  So much easier to make progress on, compared to head down arse up sports bike. 

Order about to go in....just deciding on what options to add.  Think i'm going black, but with crash protectors, power socket and heated grips.

Thanks all and keep you posted!

Had my 2nd service recently and tried to sit in the zx6r that was in the show room still trying to pop my hernia back into the right place! Your body will thank you with the choice of bike you made!
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline sc00bie

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Tranent
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 10:58:55 PM »
 :401: if you don't already make sure you protect with ACF50 or similar.
Sc00bie

Offline shuffler3

• SX Member
  • Bike: SX Performance
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 07:38:00 PM »
 :401:Have my black performance model now a couple of months …..love it :028:
Honda CBR600F
Honda CBR1000RR
Kawasaki Z1000SX Performance /Tourer

Offline thehammer

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
  • The Hammer
  • Bike: MY19 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Chester
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 12:28:00 PM »
Finally after a few busy weeks with work, ordered my 2019 SX today.

Gone black, with touring kit plus power socket, crash protectors and Yoshi cans.
Great deal sorted by J&S Accessories in Cheshire.....  Can't wait to get it!  Excited is not even close.

Plan is to perhaps switch the OE tyres fairly as feedback isn't great from reading on here....thinking Pilot Roads as have ran earlier Pilot 2CTs on my Zx10r and love them.

Also going to order a dark screen.  Is power bronze the most popular choice?

Thanks

Hammo

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »
Greta colour choice   :018:
OE tyres will be fine this time of year, but will square off quickly regardless of how & where you ride  :006:
PowerBronze, or Puig are the screens of preference  :028:
Get yourself a Rad Guard as well  :031:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline Teaboy

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
  • City / Town: Nth Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 02:49:22 PM »
You won’t be disappointed with your choice, my recommendations are Evotech rad guard, Puig screen and although tyres are very much a personal preference I went with Dunlop Roadsmart 3s absolutely transformed the bike and wearing really well

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 05:01:51 AM »
 :401:

Evotech rad guard, cheaper than overpriced R&G item and arguably better quality!

If you only intend on doing dry miles then Evotech also do the Tail Tidy of choice, it's one of only two (R&G is the other) that fit with the Kawasaki panniers. Not only looking good and complementing the rear end of the bike, a tail tidy really helps when using a paddock stand.

But if you plan to ride in the rain then DON'T get any tail tidy at all!!!

MDR is right (he usually is  :038:) OE tyre will be fine in the dry warm weather and plenty while your running her in but I'd seriously consider changing soon after that. Decent rubber will completely change the bike, I used Michellin Road 5's and loved them.

After changing the rubber, the next most beneficial thing you can do is get a professional suspension set-up done, this again will really help you get the best feeling out of your SX.

Apart from that, the best advice is to ride her, and enjoy!

Don't for get to post some pictures once you get her home  :830:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline thehammer

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
  • The Hammer
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 01:16:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
:401:

Evotech rad guard, cheaper than overpriced R&G item and arguably better quality!

If you only intend on doing dry miles then Evotech also do the Tail Tidy of choice, it's one of only two (R&G is the other) that fit with the Kawasaki panniers. Not only looking good and complementing the rear end of the bike, a tail tidy really helps when using a paddock stand.

But if you plan to ride in the rain then DON'T get any tail tidy at all!!!

MDR is right (he usually is  :038:) OE tyre will be fine in the dry warm weather and plenty while your running her in but I'd seriously consider changing soon after that. Decent rubber will completely change the bike, I used Michellin Road 5's and loved them.

After changing the rubber, the next most beneficial thing you can do is get a professional suspension set-up done, this again will really help you get the best feeling out of your SX.

Apart from that, the best advice is to ride her, and enjoy!

Don't for get to post some pictures once you get her home  :830:

Thanks Shandy and others.....feeling the love already!

PB Screen, Evotech Rad Guard and Stand Bobbins are ordered and will be fitted once she arrives.   I think as I intend to "tour" on the SX and take a pillion regularly, I'm going to keep the tail as is.  Whilst I have had tail tidies on all my sports bike, the general consensus on here was don't unless as you say, I only ride in the dry.

I'm actually planning on running her in ASAP, and then heading to do NW500 in Scotland as a holiday (weather permitting) so tyres will be fitted post run in I think.

Will of course post pics, and be good to ride out with others at some point!  I used to be an admin on zx10r.co.uk and so appreciate a good online presence, and have made some amazing mates via that.  So hopefully we can do the same.

Speak soon

Hammer
aka Andy

Offline thehammer

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
  • The Hammer
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 08:09:14 AM »
Morning fellow SX owners.....I can now officially say that!!  I picked my new pride and joy up on Saturday, and have already clocked up 250 miles over the weekend....will post pictures shortly!!

First impressions are that I think I may have found my perfect bike and possible regret spending 20yrs on arse up head down sports bikes. Road position is so much better for everyday riding and makes “making progress” so much easier.  In the miles I’ve clocked I reckon my average speed has been much higher than it would have been on my Zx10r. Currently I still have both bikes so may have to take the 10 back out for direct side by side comparison.

Few things I’d point out...
Mine was brand new MY19’ from Kawasaki, and despite ordering black it “had” silver decals with an orange stripe on the side panels.  Look very odd and out of place on the bike.  Needless to say the hairdryer came out within 24hrs and they are no more.

With a pillion (I weigh 75kg and pillion small lady of around 50kg) the suspension is on the comfy side of too soft.  Think we will need to tweak the suspension (as already suggested above) to firm it up a little.

The engine is a little vibey at around 6-7k rpm.....is this normal?  Does make me think the fuelling may need sorting with a PC, but be interested to hear from others?

Anyway.....3 minor points on a what is a fantastic piece of engineering.

Despite running in (and maybe I did exceed the revs once or twice) I have managed to ride quite spiritedly with pillion on and the stock tyres are ok actually.....but weather has been warm, and dry.  But don’t feel confident to really really push.  I need to ride it solo to confirm decision to switch at first service which at this rate will be within the next week.

And lastly....panniers......how brilliantly useful are they ;-) And I actually think make the bike look brilliant so will likely just leave them on.

So 3 days in, and I’m absolutely head over heals in love with the new beast! Let’s hope for long summer evenings, and weekends for the next few months!!!

Offline thehammer

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
  • The Hammer
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 08:31:08 AM »