Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain care  (Read 1548 times)

Offline ZX9R

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
Chain care
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:22:56 AM »
Interested in some opinions on this.....

I recently posted about finally cleaning the rust off my OEM chain and applying MUC OFF Extreme chain lube which compared to WD40 lube gave no fling.

Shandy already recommended the WD40 Wax and I agree that the WD40 chain cleaner seems pretty good.

This was both entertaining and interesting:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DVnPYdcbcAe0&ved=2ahUKEwjPsIvEkaLiAhUuUBUIHZbcCkAQ3e4CMAN6BAgGEBE&usg=AOvVaw1AcMULZo_gkdzNjcy6PlHE

What do you use?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:26:42 AM by ZX9R »

Offline Rockape737

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Hedge End
Re: Chain care
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 03:48:18 PM »
 :460:, liked the video, food for thought.

Offline NoddyNinja

• SX Master
  • Bike: Aprilia Tuono V4
  • City / Town: Rossendale
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 07:22:46 PM »
Interesting
Recently cleaned my chain with Muck-off, then lubed with WD40 chain wax. Couple weeks of wet rides and chain was rusty as hell.
Cleaners again today with Muck-off, removed all rust with scouring pad, applied ACF50 to inhibit rust and lubed with anti-fling chain lube. Will report back in a few weeks
Enjoying the V4 "ROAR"

Online Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 09:25:51 PM »
I just my scottoiler xsystem but add a mix of acf50 and scottoiler into it. Some minor rust spots on the side plates but otherwise all good.
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline ZX9R

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »
That's 2 in a row for a bit of ACF50 in the mix. Never considered that on the chain before, makes sense though.

On the rust issue I've never come across this to such a high degree before. The odd spot here and there, but then only ever had aftermarket chains on second hand bikes. Rumour has it that aftermarket chains have a protective coating that OEM don't - I have no proof of that though.

I remember a mate complaining about the same issue on a new triumph a few years ago. The OEM chain rusted badly even with proper maintenance :027:.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:13:30 AM by ZX9R »

Offline Streak198507

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 08:17:17 AM »
I always fit Renthal chains and sprockets to my bikes and can honestly say they have never rusted, when I had my ZX9R I took it out in early March when lots of salt about, put it away for a week without washing it ( stupid boy ) got it back out and the lower part of the side stand was a lovely fuzzy rusty orange colour but the chain and sprocket were perfect they hadn't been affected at all

Offline Harrycaine

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Sussex
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 09:58:47 PM »
Great video, thanks for the link.

I deeply dislike cleaning and lubing chains . After swapping about with various lubs over the years I have gone to Gear Oil a couple of years ago. It works pretty well and is quite cheap.

It's all a bit mad , if you told a car driver once a week they'd have to jack up the car clean the differential gears and re-lub they'd say you are mad. It is disappointing that manual lub and clean is still needed in 2019...the bike has inertial measurement systems ffs. I must say one of (the few) advantages of the BMW F800 I had was the belt drive.

HC

Offline fallenwout

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2018
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 12:02:27 AM »
Clean with diesel fuel 2-3 times a year. I use those square brushes while on a stand running in 1st gear while flooding it with diesel (yeah yeah, i know it is not safe, i will loose my fingers. Those brushes are long enough). For the inexperienced, if a body part gets between the chain and sprocket, you will loose it. CAUTION.
 Lube with cheap spray grease once a month. I get at least 15000km out of my chains. Been doing it for 10 yrs now. You will not change my mind  :004:
My previous z1000sx got 21000km when i left it at the store, never had to replace my chain on that one
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 12:06:14 AM by fallenwout »

Offline ZX9R

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 07:22:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Harrycaine [+]

I deeply dislike cleaning and lubing chains .

It's all a bit mad , if you told a car driver once a week they'd have to jack up the car clean the differential gears and re-lub they'd say you are mad. It is disappointing that manual lub and clean is still needed in 2019...the bike has inertial measurement systems ffs. I must say one of (the few) advantages of the BMW F800 I had was the belt drive.

HC

+1
It's a particular PIA when touring with only a side stand.
Out of interest, what did you find so bad about the F800? I've never ridden one but known a couple of owners who quickly changed them - found them a bit boring I think.

Offline kernowjim1

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 02:28:02 PM »
I've been thinking of going back to the manufacturer recommended method of chain cleaner and then gear oil (EP80 or 90).  There was a video on Youtube, the Canadian guy fortnine or something and he compared the different methods in a comprehensive experiment and basic gear oil scored highly in the prevention of rust etc and didn't fling off too badly, certainly much cheaper.