Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What Next?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
What Next?
« on: May 15, 2019, 04:48:35 PM »
Hi all,

Struggling to get used to the idea of life after the SX, but it’s now over  :019:

My beloved SX has been taken away to her final resting place (4th D scrap yard, Swindon  :230: ) after officially being declared a cat H write off.

I now need your help with deciding what next...

Unfortunately another SX is not an option, despite seriously considering another, the decision was taken out of my hands in the end.

Being below the average age of a litre bike owner in the UK, living in a London/Kent border postcode and now a fault claim against my name. All makes insuring another SX or any other litre bike a near impossibility.

Therefore I’ve been looking at smaller capacity bikes with touring/commuting practicalities.

With a list of about 20 bikes from various manufacturers, based mostly on price and practicality, I popped in to see my dealer yesterday.
( wife begrudgingly became my driver for the day and immediately pointed out that I spend far too much time at the dealer, when I was greeted on first name terms by most of the staff  :745: )

Anyway... he said one thing, which immediately whittled the list down to three and then two.
‘Which bike do you want?, no point buying a bike based on price!  :187:

The third place bike was the Suzuki V-Storm 650, I couldn’t get over how practical it was and the great finance offer on. Suzuki also gives emergency services members an additional £500 off on top of current offers!
However, dealer quickly pointed out that although a very capable bike, the engine is bland and the whole bike is a bit of a ‘pipe and slippers’ affair. It does everything but without any passion and I’m buying a new bike, not just a finance package.
I also don’t like the aluminium panniers... I’m never going to go around the world on a V-Storm   :827:

So I’m now torn between the Yamaha Tracer 700 GT or the Kawasaki Versy’s 650  :087:

Both have great finance options available but only until end of May, so I gotta be quick!
Yamaha are offering 2.9% finance and I’m sure we all know that Kawasaki are offering a free tourer upgrade on the 650 as well as the SX.

Once finance is taken into account, both are very similar priced and should cost roughly the same to tax and insure, so that’s the head satisfied. Just need to satisfy my heart now...

Obviously I’d like to stay with the Kawasaki brand and I also think the Versy’s is the better looking and more practical bike.

On the other hand I’m informed that the Tracer has a nice perky and sporty engine, which means I can have more fun with it  :046: it’s also slightly better equipped with a comfort seat and more powerful engine.

Both will be new 2019 models btw.

So opinions please...

I’ll be hoping to return to another SX in the future, after repairing my NCB for a few years and hopefully passing my RoSPA assessment.

In the meantime, I’ll be selling a few pieces I managed to get off my SX before she went, I’ve definitely got some panniers to sell (2016 plasma blue) with one key. Pannier inner bags and possibly a few other bits, look out for a new topic with those soon.

:828: everyone for your help in advance and I look forward to reading the replies!

I’ll be sticking around on the forum, just because it’s such a great forum, and I might still be able to offer some advice to some people but I won’t be as active as I have been.
It’ll also be nice to keep up with the development of the SX and everyone’s opinions.
I’ll be sure to let you know when I’m back on another SX!  :830:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline Nelix

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Re: What Next?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 07:04:40 PM »
Marks and Spencer loans are at 2.8% at the moment, if the Kawasaki finance is not great.

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 07:33:38 PM »
 :828: but I’m looking at PCP deals and there’s actually very little in it between Yamaha and Kawasaki finance once deposits, mileage and estimated final value are put in.

It’s purely about the bikes now.

I should also mention that my dealer is multi franchise and capable of selling me any of the bikes mentioned, so there’s no bias there

Offline Nelix

• SX Pro
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 07:39:16 PM »
Personally, I would stick with Kawasaki, especially with the free touring kit.

Have you spent any time trying to hunt down a decent quote for insurance?

Offline kernowjim1

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 07:40:02 PM »
I’d most likely take the Tracer 700 as it’s more recent than the other two and is good value,most of all the parallel twin 700cc motor is great fun.

Offline Nelix

• SX Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 07:40:49 PM »
I sat on an MT09 yesterday, tiny bike.

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 08:05:37 PM »
Hmmm... well thanks guys, I was expecting a flood of people telling me to take the Versy’s!
Brand loyalty obviously isn’t a factor, which I like and appreciate the honesty  :028:

However, I’m still not sure  :187:

There actually quite sensible reply’s...

Jim,, you’re absolutely right and probably the better choice, however that’s the head speaking again.

Nelix, I agree, the MT/ Tracer range is small in Dimension terms, but is that a good or bad thing?

Trouble is, I haven’t had the chance to compare both bikes side by side yet as they didn’t have a Versy’s in, just the new 1000cc one which is very big!

I’m still technically on bed rest at the moment (fractured collarbone) but this is keeping me going, so I’ll keep asking for your opinions please!
(Trying to convince the wife that I’m fit enough for a small test ride  :164: )
 :828:

Offline kernowjim1

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 08:29:25 PM »
What about the new Tenere 700?  Same motor as the Tracer 700 but tuned a but different - looks like an amazing bike, about a grand more than the Tracer 700 though.  The Tracer 900 is a good bike and you can often get a deal - very lightweight and punchy.

Offline Nelix

• SX Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 11:16:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
(Trying to convince the wife that I’m fit enough for a small test ride  :164: )
 :828:

If she goes on top, should be fine. :008:

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Tudor Rebel
  • Bike: 2017 NCC-1701
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 11:34:26 PM »
Hi Shandy

Missed the post about the accident, really sorry that happened but glad you on the mend.

Sure what ever bike you get will be great, think I would go for the Tracer, but I also really like the versy..

Would not go PCP, but I’m sure you know what’s what.
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

expletive