Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitted the SP Engineering tail tidy today.  (Read 726 times)

Offline Nelix

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Fitted the SP Engineering tail tidy today.
« on: May 01, 2019, 06:20:24 PM »
Followed Jonathan Long's video on you tube, all fine until trying to drop the undertray to access the tailpiece. My undertray simply would not drop as per the video, which I watched, paused, watched several times to ensure I had not missed something, which I had not.

Upshot was I had to work with the undertray in situ which was very difficult, both for accessing the screws to remove the original tailpiece and for routing wiring.

Being a clumsy git, I damaged the original tailpiece whilst trying to separate it.
The SP comes with mini indicators and mini number plate light, once wired up and checked it was a bugger to tidy the wires without proper access to the undertray.

I was not impressed with the SP tailpiece, fit was not great and my number plate would not fit under the LED light without filing it down a bit. A new plate and holes drilled higher up the plate would fix this. LED number plate light does not look as if it will illuminate plate where the plate is at the moment, indeed if at all, which is a concern.

Tbh, I wish I hadn't bothered, albeit the bike does look a lot better.

Offline myz1

• SX Junior
  • Bike: z1000
Re: Fitted the SP Engineering tail tidy today.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 10:34:03 PM »
Lets see some picture
~ Love my Z1000 😊 ~

Offline kernowjim1

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Torpoint
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:20:24 AM »
SP Engineering stuff is generally cheap and nasty - yes you might 'save' a few quid but Evotech and R&G are far easier to work with.

Offline myz1

• SX Junior
  • Bike: z1000
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 09:54:43 AM »
What is there to work with lol?  You install it once and you're done.  Why waste money.
~ Love my Z1000 😊 ~

Offline Raj

• SX Member
  • Simple rule,never give up!
  • Bike: Z800abs,Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Surrey
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 10:28:52 AM »
 I had to drill out the clutch head security bolt out to drop the tray. If you read further on comments on J. Longs tutorial some one else comments. I'might fitting a evotech tail tidy & shad rack at the same time. Will post pics after Saturday. Won't do a tutorial as quit a lot of swearing involved 😂
😎

Offline Raj

• SX Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 10:30:47 AM »
Oppos. Ment to say I'm fitting. 😎
😎

Offline Nelix

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 07:10:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Raj [+]
I had to drill out the clutch head security bolt out to drop the tray. If you read further on comments on J. Longs tutorial some one else comments. I'might fitting a evotech tail tidy & shad rack at the same time. Will post pics after Saturday. Won't do a tutorial as quit a lot of swearing involved 😂

What year of bike Raj?

Offline Raj

• SX Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 10:51:21 PM »
2019 model. I believe the European bikes have the security bolts & not the older or American models.
😎

Offline Scotty001

• SX God
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 11:57:48 PM »
Nelix I know for certain 2016 (EU) and onwards have this security bolt, I can't be sure for the 2011-2016 bikes but I'd be surprised if they didn't also have them.

Offline Teaboy

• SX Master
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
  • City / Town: Nth Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 06:08:34 AM »
No need to drill security bolt it's not on tight just use a large flat blade screwdriver and plenty of pressure on it as you turn and screw comes out easily. Then replace with a normal bolt or Allen screw with a flat washer