Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Quad lock utilizing the sat nav mount.  (Read 655 times)

Offline Nelix

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX.
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Quad lock utilizing the sat nav mount.
« on: April 20, 2019, 06:27:25 PM »
First of all thanks to Olivious the Drummer who answered my query of how he had mounted the quad lock case to the sat nav bracket. I have simply followed his idea and added a little bit more peace of mind.

You will need a Quadlock case to suit your phone and these (come in pairs)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-Lock-Adhesive-Wall-Mount-Twin-Pack-Mount-Only/372643957980?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Oblivious simply stuck on onto the sat nav bracket and whilst I am sure the adhesive is strong enough to to the job I wanted a "failsafe" as it were.
It would probably be possible to source a bolt and nut to do this properly, but the nut would neat to sit flush inside the mount for the case to fit. Being a tight git, I found another solution.
There is a hole slightly off centre in the sat nav bracket, remove the adhesive tape and align the mount with the hole, making sure the mount is also aligned so the case will sit straight, and stick it down. (I didn't and it is slightly misaligned, apparently I'm now also OCD.)
I got a small cable tie and checked that the fat end would not go all the way through the hole in the mount. I then made a loop with the tie, passing the loop end through the mount so it left a U underneath.
I passed two thicker cable ties though the sat nav plate holes at either side, then through the loop underneath and tightened all three up. This way if the adhesive should fail the cable ties will hold it.

Offline hwassall

• SX Junior
  • City / Town: Sunbury-on-Thame
Re: Quad lock utilizing the sat nav mount.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
Thanks Nelix and to Oblivious for this tip. Have done the same though with a countersuck bolt through the middle.

Offline Nelix

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 10:49:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by hwassall [+]
Thanks Nelix and to Oblivious for this tip. Have done the same though with a countersuck bolt through the middle.

I could not find a bolt to fit alas.

Offline hwassall

• SX Junior
  • City / Town: Sunbury-on-Thame
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 11:00:40 AM »
It's an M5 slotted countersunk head bolt in case you do find one in the future.

Offline Nelix

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 05:56:52 PM »
Ta.

Offline Ninja1000

• SX Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 06:27:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by hwassall [+]

This is exactly what I did previously. However, I found few instances where the phone turned slightly and I could feel that with vibration, it would slowly turn at high speed. So I had to remember to keep checking and adjusting.

Whereas if you get a Quad Lock mount with Lever, phone will stay attached to the mount securely. So in the end I ended up buying Terfereizer screen mount + RAM Double Socket Arm and Quadlock Ball Adaptor which has a Lever. Ended up spending more with this experiment but worth it. Although this option is a secure option, I found that it is fiddly to put the phone on the mount before a ride but the viewing angle is a preferred one for me but one can live with it if its a small phone. Its a worthy compromise as I don't want to lose an expensive phone and most importantly it won't fall off at high speed potentially preventing it from hitting other other vehicles and/or people.

Offline Olivious the Drummer

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000sx Tourer
  • City / Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 09:31:06 PM »
Good options both! I will have a look to add some additional security to mine now lol!
Keeping it shiny side up!