Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Shad top box rack & Evotech tail tidy for 2019 SX  (Read 988 times)

Offline Raj

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Simple rule,never give up!
  • Bike: Z800abs,Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Surrey
Shad top box rack & Evotech tail tidy for 2019 SX
« on: April 15, 2019, 09:33:16 AM »
Hi Everyone. I have a Shad top box rack to fit on my 2019 SX. I am just wondering if anyone have a combination(shad rack/evotech tail tidy) fitted on their 2017-2019 SX? Kind Regards. Raj
😎

Offline myz1

• SX Junior
  • Bike: z1000
Re: Shad top box rack & Evotech tail tidy for 2019 SX
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 12:06:01 AM »
I have the 007plate.com fender eliminator with the box and it works fine.

I can't say for sure about the evo but it should work
~ Love my Z1000 😊 ~

Offline Raj

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 09:27:07 AM »
Hi Myz1,thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention my bike is a tourer,it has the side panniers as well. I know the evotech tail tidy will fit the tourer,not sure about the shad rack with the tail tidy. Only reason posted the help on here was,someone might have done it already & if I'm fitting the rack,might as well do the tail tidy at the same time. Regards Raj
😎

Offline Raj

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 12:41:22 PM »
Hi All. Thanks, I fitted a evotech performance tail tidy,shad top box rack combo with GIVI mono lock plate to fit my GIVI V47 topbox onto. With a little mod all fitted perfect. Really pleased, it's looking great.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:43:59 PM by Raj »
😎

Offline MarchHare

• SX Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 08:18:40 AM »
Just a couple of thoughts on installing the Shad rack on the 2019 model; I did this yesterday and it is far more complicated than the instruction sheet suggests. I wanted to keep the original rear mudguard/lights as I want as much protection from spray and mud as I can get so had hoped it would be as simple as the instructions suggested. However there are two key bits of info missing, firstly there are 2 cross head screws fixing on the tail unit between the metal subframe and the plastic underlay. You have maybe 5 or 6 cm clearance between the two so you really need a small right angle screwdriver to get these out. The instructions don't mention these and without removing them you can't remove the tail unit to install the rack bracket.
Secondly the bracket which you install between the tail unit and the under tray has a hole in the middle to route the tail light wiring through. The instruction fail to highlight that in order to do this you have to disconnect all these wires at their connectors and free them from their fixings in the tail unit before feeding them through the bracket.
Lastly reinstalling the original tail unit involves fitting 4 spacers and 6 washers between the under tray, the bracket and the tail unit. For this you really need about 6 hands. I finally did it by dealing with one bolt, spacer, washers, brackets and tail at a time. However it was still an absolute pig of a job that involved regularly chasing spaces and washers around the garage floor.
On a more positive note, the completed job provides a great solution. I have the Shad SH58X expandable top box which works really well. I like to use the box with panniers but travel with the box more or less empty and use it to store riding kit when parked. The Shad solution is the only one I've found that allows this.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:25:57 AM by MarchHare »

Offline Raj

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:20:58 AM »
Nice Job there. Defo need an extra hand. The instruction are pants,had to figure it out,not too difficult. My install was really an experimental one,but worked out brill. I've got a Ireland tour coming up & the three box's will be welcomed. Happy days!  :001:

😎

Offline Raj

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:23:34 AM »

With the panniers!
😎

Offline Beetlejuice

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 12:36:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by MarchHare [+]
Just a couple of thoughts on installing the Shad rack on the 2019 model; I did this yesterday and it is far more complicated than the instruction sheet suggests. I wanted to keep the original rear mudguard/lights as I want as much protection from spray and mud as I can get so had hoped it would be as simple as the instructions suggested. However there are two key bits of info missing, firstly there are 2 cross head screws fixing on the tail unit between the metal subframe and the plastic underlay. You have maybe 5 or 6 cm clearance between the two so you really need a small right angle screwdriver to get these out. The instructions don't mention these and without removing them you can't remove the tail unit to install the rack bracket.
Secondly the bracket which you install between the tail unit and the under tray has a hole in the middle to route the tail light wiring through. The instruction fail to highlight that in order to do this you have to disconnect all these wires at their connectors and free them from their fixings in the tail unit before feeding them through the bracket.
Lastly reinstalling the original tail unit involves fitting 4 spacers and 6 washers between the under tray, the bracket and the tail unit. For this you really need about 6 hands. I finally did it by dealing with one bolt, spacer, washers, brackets and tail at a time. However it was still an absolute pig of a job that involved regularly chasing spaces and washers around the garage floor.
On a more positive note, the completed job provides a great solution. I have the Shad SH58X expandable top box which works really well. I like to use the box with panniers but travel with the box more or less empty and use it to store riding kit when parked. The Shad solution is the only one I've found that allows this.
Thanks for this - I'm picking up my new 19SX on Saturday and will have this to do straight away. Cheers  :031:

Offline MarchHare

• SX Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 12:41:53 PM »
Love that lid!

Offline MarchHare

• SX Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 12:44:48 PM »
I would also make sure you thread lock the front and rear bolts.