Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Luxembourg or Eifel  (Read 312 times)

Offline ZX9R

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
Luxembourg or Eifel
« on: April 15, 2019, 08:44:29 AM »
Any advice gratefully accepted.

My 14yr old son and I are planning a European trip this summer. This will be his first Bike pillion trip abroad.

Having been to the Hartz Mountains on a number of occasions myself we plan to have the first few days there but then I'd like to do something I haven't done before.

We'll be making our way back via the Euro tunnel so thought about either Eifel or Luxembourg as I've heard good things about both (already done the B500 and Koblenz/Mosel area).

Any experiences of either including decent biker friendly hotels would be great (unfortunately won't have time to both on this trip).

Thanks in advance.

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: Luxembourg or Eifel
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 03:54:37 PM »
I dont know about the Eifel but Luxembourg is fine. It's obviously tiny and easy to go through. It has pretty good roads and Luxembourg city is cool.

I suppose it would depend how much time you have, the Eifel would provide many more opportunities.
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline ZX9R

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 09:27:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by whyhaveone [+]
I dont know about the Eifel but Luxembourg is fine. It's obviously tiny and easy to go through. It has pretty good roads and Luxembourg city is cool.

I suppose it would depend how much time you have, the Eifel would provide many more opportunities.

Only planning 2 nights in either place so 1 full day of exploring. The bulk of the holiday will be in the Hartz.

Offline DDHughes

• SX Member
  • Bike: Green Tourer
  • City / Town: South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 05:49:59 AM »
Hi ZX9R.

We have been to Luxembourg for 2 of the last 3 years. The east of the country has some cracking roads and scenery. We have stayed at the "Auberge Aal Vienen" in Vianden. It's an old hotel and steakhouse on the cobbled street in a town with 7 or 8 restaurants and a cable-car up to the castle. The hotel has two big garages to secure bikes overnight and is on Booking.com for about £75 per night for a double.

Just south of Vianden, following the river, is Echternach, a bigger town on the German border. There's a 12th century monastery, (founded by a Geordie), even more shops, restaurants and hotels, and a town square that always hosts car shows, bike shows or beer festivals at the week-ends.

Luxembourg city is split into two by a great ravine, from memory all the big shops and squares are on the north side and the older town is on the south side.. Personally, I'd stick to the pretty villages. hills and forests to the east and leave the big shops to the women-folk. (No offence intended)

Remember that petrol is very cheap in Luxembourg too, something to do with tax concessions. Regular visitors will tell you that you know when you've crossed into Luxembourg, cos the 1st thing you'll see is a massive great petrol station with 36 pumps in use !

Offline ZX9R

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 09:01:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by DDHughes [+]
Hi ZX9R.

We have been to Luxembourg for 2 of the last 3 years. The east of the country has some cracking roads and scenery. We have stayed at the "Auberge Aal Vienen" in Vianden. It's an old hotel and steakhouse on the cobbled street in a town with 7 or 8 restaurants and a cable-car up to the castle. The hotel has two big garages to secure bikes overnight and is on Booking.com for about £75 per night for a double.

Just south of Vianden, following the river, is Echternach, a bigger town on the German border. There's a 12th century monastery, (founded by a Geordie), even more shops, restaurants and hotels, and a town square that always hosts car shows, bike shows or beer festivals at the week-ends.

Luxembourg city is split into two by a great ravine, from memory all the big shops and squares are on the north side and the older town is on the south side.. Personally, I'd stick to the pretty villages. hills and forests to the east and leave the big shops to the women-folk. (No offence intended)

Remember that petrol is very cheap in Luxembourg too, something to do with tax concessions. Regular visitors will tell you that you know when you've crossed into Luxembourg, cos the 1st thing you'll see is a massive great petrol station with 36 pumps in use !

Thanks DDHughes. Much appreciated. I'll look into the hotel, sounds ideal.  :031: