Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: North Coast 500 - looking for suggestions/help/advice  (Read 2207 times)

Online Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
Re: North Coast 500 - looking for suggestions/help/advice
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2019, 04:02:18 PM »
 :828:

In the final planning stages now.

Everyone is on board with the van hiring idea, so I'm booking that soon as well as accommodation.

One change we decided on was visiting a distillery on first day wasn't a good idea. It's our longest day anyway in terms of miles and a two hour stop for tour and probably longer to eat lunch wasn't ideal. Also decided against carrying around a bottle of whisky for the whole week  :oh_no:

we are going to fall in line with consumerism and do the 'Famous Grouse Experience' near Crieff on our last day instead Means a slight detour but we'll stop for lunch here too and then pass through Perth on way back to Edinburgh. Nice touch as I lived in Perth, Australia from 2008 - 2010, we'll probably stop for a coffee too.
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline goggy

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2017 sx
  • City / Town: carnforth
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 08:44:57 PM »
Hi shandy im going on the 11th of may any tips would be great thanks

Offline Streak198507

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2011 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2019, 09:39:15 AM »
Just a heads up regarding the ferry

We arrived in Mallaig last June with thoughts of getting the ferry into Skye only to be told we would have to wait about 6 hours until there are any unbooked spaces left. It is a very popular ferry

We just left as Mallaig is small with nothing to do so we weren't waiting, it may be an idea to book ahead to be safe

Online Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2019, 03:43:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by goggy [+]
Hi shandy im going on the 11th of may any tips would be great thanks

:028: Enjoy!

You're actually going before me, I'm not going until end of June, so maybe you can give me some tips when you get back!

I've planned most of my routes now and the best tool I've found so far is Google Maps!!

Have a good look at the roads and actual surface before planning your routes!

I've been using a book borrowed from my dad, that he forgot he had  :oh_no: It's called AA Biking Britain with a foreword by Charlie Borman (a sales exercise no doubt  :164: ) but it's actually written by the deputy editor of Ride magazine and their road test team.
Gives their recommendations on basically the best of the best roads in the UK!
Complete with biker friendly hotels, fuel stops and places to eat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bikers-Britain-Great-Motorbike-Rides/dp/0749573961

In terms of routes, the biggest problem I've had is actually planning fuel stops, especially up along the North West corner, but I suspect there's more there than listed online and likely to be a local garage or two. Just make sure you fill up whenever you get the chance, remembering how thirsty the SX gets when pushing on!  :007:

Other than that, just make sure you book hotels in advance. I've managed to find somewhere at all our planned stops, except Fort William so far, and now I'm struggling.

We've also changed our start/finish location from Edinburgh to Moffat, based on corroborated recommendations of the A701. There's also a great bikers hotel/Inn and it's apparently where the guy who invented tarmac is buried! Feels only right to pay our respects, seeing as that invention gives us so much joy!  :028:

Looking forward to reading about your adventures, and hope you have a nice time!

Are you going alone or with a group? And final advice is to prepare for all weathers!  :190:

I'm toying with the idea of filming our trip, not sure if you want to do the same  :027:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old