Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Original tyres  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
Re: Original tyres
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
Didn't go fast and didn't lean over either  :038:  :745:

:745: :047: :745: :830:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 05:13:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Brian675 [+]
I think that the original tyres are fine and after 11000 Kms in about 11 weeks, I'm replacing them with another pair (not OEM so it will be an interesting comparison). Here on the Wet Coast of Canada we do get decent precipitation so they get tested in the rain and I think they are fine. Interestingly, they are wearing out at exactly the same rate front and rear and the decision to replace them with the same has nothing to do with brand loyalty but price, as on sale a pair are available for $209 (about 140 pounds sterling). Great bike though and such a wonderful power delivery with no changes to fueling/pipes/air filter et al.

Yes it will be quite a comparison. There have been a few other brave souls on here that have done the same and report much better results than the actual stock.

Theory is that OEM tyres are produced on mass and perhaps by another factory on licence, for the soul purpose of knocking them out cheap to manufacturers.
I suppose they don't actually expect anyone to find the limit in the first few thousand miles  :027:

But off the shelf Bridgestones are better and usually of a newer run and from an in house factory...

Guess you'll let us know :828:

Offline Duffelcoat

• SX Member
  • Bike: SX
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]

Yes it will be quite a comparison. There have been a few other brave souls on here that have done the same and report much better results than the actual stock.

Theory is that OEM tyres are produced on mass and perhaps by another factory on licence, for the soul purpose of knocking them out cheap to manufacturers.
I suppose they don't actually expect anyone to find the limit in the first few thousand miles  :027:

But off the shelf Bridgestones are better and usually of a newer run and from an in house factory...

Guess you'll let us know :828:

Wouldnt that be a trading standards issue if they were selling the same tyre actually made in a different way and or with different materials?  (Considering they are badged the same model part number)

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2019, 11:08:13 PM »
Stock are badged S20n if I remember correctly from memory :006:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:11:30 PM by mdr1970 »
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline Duffelcoat

• SX Member
  • Bike: SX
  • City / Town: Bournemouth
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2019, 09:02:13 AM »
That would cover their bums I suppose...

Dont remember seeing the 'n' on my tyres that came on the bike, but cant remember now...

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2019, 05:17:24 PM »
Produced 'under license' basically meaning that the named manufacturer takes responsibility for the end product and in theory has inspected the facility and are in charge of quality control.

Done properly, think of BMW or Triumph producing their bikes in Thailand or Asia. They don't own the factories (I know both do now but they didn't before) but they make sure the final product meets their quality standards to uphold their brand whilst benefiting from cheaper production costs. That's not suggesting these countries produce poor quality products at all, most are highly skilled competent workers.

Unfortunately, not everyone has such high standards and companies quite often use generic factories to produce their goods 'under license' but in fact have very little control or interest over quality control after their initial inspection run.
The same factory could be producing tyres or products for a number of different brands under similar arrangement's, and quite often on short contracts to only produce one or two runs.

Think of it a bit like sub-contracting.

Say for example, Kawasaki produce a new Z1000SX and throughout testing they have been using a few different tyres but decided to go with Bridgestone S22's. They enjoy a nice relationship with the manufacturer already and have probably been provided with a nice healthy supply of new S22's for testing. This benefits both Kawasaki and Bridgestone, as Bridgestone will effectively get some free product testing.
They sign a contract with Bridgestone to supply the tyres for all new Z1000SX's. As a part of that contract, Kawasaki need an initial run of 5,000 units to fulfill their initial projected worldwide sales (an estimated number). Bridgestone will have agreed a certain time frame of which to deliver those units to fulfill their part of the contract, or risk financial penalties.
Bridgestone won't want to interrupt their current production line, producing high quality products for individual worldwide orders, that's their bread and butter after all.
Therefore Bridgestone turn to one of their already 'pre-approved partners' which could be based anywhere in the world, and contract them to produce the 5,000 unit order for Kawasaki.
Bridgestone will want to keep costs down as the price for the tyres will already have been agreed with Kawasaki as part of the contract, and at no doubt heavily discounted against what they would normally charge, so they can outbid the competition and maintain their relationship with Kawasaki.
Therefore the sub-contracted partner will be under pressure to produce the high volume of units as fast and as cheaply as possible, so they can make money themselves whilst also fulfilling their contracted timetable with Bridgestone. The first few hundred will be inspected by Bridgestone to make sure they are so called on par (but likely slightly less is acceptable) with their own standards and from then on probably only inspect a random few as production continues.
As a result you are left with perfectly adequate tyres, for the most part, but don't compare to the 'in house' produced units over longer periods / harder use. Some are worse than others and some manufacturers worse than others.
Considering new bikes are ridden gently during the run-in period and generally by tentative new owners who don't want to drop their new pride and joy's, consumers don't usually find out until it's time to change and therefore Kawasaki or Bridgestone don't care.
Dealers love to charge you for a new set "fitted with your next service shall we, sir??"  :celebrate: and are encouraged to do so by both Kawasaki and Bridgestone as they all know that's when you're most likely confident enough to start 'pushing on' or 'making progress' as those of you AdQual members will say  :001:
The first service for most owners won't occur until after a year of riding (the average annual mileage for UK bikers is less than 5k, and that's similar throughout the Western world, sadly) so they probably won't notice the difference much.
It's only those of us hardened all year bigger mileage bikers who will mutter a complaint or two, but usually not loud enough to make a fuss  :oh_no:

Also as MDR stated, an added letter 'n' or slight design difference will probably cover the legal bit. But it would also help the manufacturer differentiate between which ones we're produced where.  :164:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 05:36:11 PM by Shandy »

Offline mooster199

• SX Member
  • Cornish Soldier
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2019
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »
My experience with the original tyres:  I picked up the bike on the 1st of March this year (2019) and have covered around 3700 miles.  The weather was pretty kind at the beginning of the year and really throughout for biking.  I do use the bike for commuting from time to time also  and it has been wet on occasion.  In the dry the tyres work pretty well, I do enjoy getting stuck into a good corner and have shredded the side grip a bit on the rear.  On a bright day with good road temps the tyres (in my opinion) work pretty well considering they are a compromise between performance and durability (Kawasaki obviously want to supply a tyre with a big brand name for little cost).  I bet if I stuck a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tyres on it would really corner, so I am satisfied with the dry performance of a stock tyre, BUT here comes the rub...…. In the wet they are quite literally awful , borderline dangerous.  They are so unpredictable that you feel like you want to fit stabilisers, they track with the road at the best of times but ion the wet they are constantly threatening to wash out from under you, I have lost count of the "whoa!!!" moments I have had in anything more than damp road conditions.  Roundabouts are a death trap, you could be simply going around at very slow speed and the whole bike seems to slide laterally like its on grease or ice.  They do seem to be quite susceptible to picking up cuts and punctures (2 in 7 months, both rear) as well.  I will be switching to Metzeler Roadtec.01's as soon as these are toast, which hopefully will be soon...…...

Offline Teaboy

• SX Master
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
  • City / Town: Nth Lincolnshire
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2019, 09:28:44 PM »
3700 mls on stock tyres they must be close to knackered

Offline mooster199

• SX Member
  • Cornish Soldier
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2019
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2019, 02:40:38 PM »
Getting There.....  :008:

Offline tissei

• SX Member
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2019, 09:08:44 PM »
I've stumbled upon this review of the z1000sx, it seems one of the few journalistic "professional" review to give a proper comment to the front end that comes stock and tyres.
Props to the reviewer, because it concentrated on the critical aspect of the stock bike as sold, that's what a review is also for, and summarize some of the ride feelings of many:

"The Z1000SX required firm and consistent steering input [...]
Perhaps the Bridgestone S20s are responsible for this feeling. I felt they performed poorly in the wet, threatening to give up, particularly in low-speed turns. Things were better in the dry but aggressive steering and mid-corner line adjustment could easily result in a nervy, juddering warning through the bars.

"When I told the technical guy my thoughts on the front end, he also pointed the finger at the tyres and admitted he'd heard other 'reports like this'. "

anyway I link it here if can be of interest:
https://www.visordown.com/reviews/first-ride/first-ride-2017-kawasaki-z1000sx-review