Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyres - No, not which ones should I fit :-)  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Himself

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Adventure Before Dementia
  • Bike: 2018 SX
  • City / Town: Newark, Notts
Tyres - No, not which ones should I fit :-)
« on: March 17, 2019, 04:28:21 PM »
Having ridden about 700 miles on the SX now, in rain, damp and dry conditions, the grin on my face continues to grow.

Initially, I found the Bridgestone Battlax tyres that are fitted - they are the originals with 5500 miles on them - very nervous on white lines. Now I know this, I avoid the white paint if it is anything other than bone dry or I'm ready for shimmy as I cross the centre line while passing cars on the way to work.

In the dry and the wet though, I'm finding the Battlax Hypersports rather inspiring. Have I lost my mind? These are the standard tyres the bike came with and I like them.  :005:

They are getting low on tread. I guess a shorter life is the price you pay for grip, and they will need changing before the tour of Spain in early May. Still 6,000 miles and still very legal isn't bad.

Advice from a respected racer who knows Kawasaki's very well is that Roadtec 01s transform the SX. Considering I'm really enjoying the SX on worn Battlax Bridgestones, I can't imagine how much better the SX would be after the suggested Metzler transformation.

Any thoughts on Battlax tyres anyone ... Have you found premium brand tyres (Roadtec, GTs, etc etc) to be on another level?

Final question: While cleaning off the dirt from this mornings ride, I noticed what I thought was a stone cut in the centre tread of the tyre. Closer inspection shows what these nicks are around the whole circumference of the tyre, but only in the very centre of the tread. Any ideas??

Cheers Himself 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:13:56 PM by Himself »

Online Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
Re: Tyres - No, not which ones should I fit :-)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 02:02:30 AM »
Can't say much about the cuts in tyres, other than probably a patch of harsh gravel you've driven over regularly. Do you have a gravel drive or any roadworks near you?

As for the tyres themselves... pretty much everyone on here has slated the stock tyres and reported a considerably better experience with virtually any other tyre!

I myself went for the new Michellin Road 5's. I commute all year round and unfortunatly do far too many motorway miles  :019:. Therefore the wet weather performance and tyre logivity, especially around the centre of the tyre, means the R5's are best suited for my style of riding.
The additional benifit of the R5's over older Michellins and most other Sport touring tyrs, is the new slick edge and super soft compond. It means that when the weather and road permits, you can really push on still and enjoy some spirited riding.

I'm used to Michellins and how they feel, I also know they deliver the kind of performance I need. Which is why I went for these.

However, many have found other tyres have delivered for them in similar ways. Most of the high end tyres also have their own thread, just ecxplore the search function and feast on all the info there. Most popular are sports touring tyres, especially with those who tour or cover higher than average road miles.
If you tend to do more track time than road miles, then the sportier Michellin or Bridgestones are popular choices.

Having said all that and seeing as you seem to like the stock tyres, those who have replaced with the same tyres have also noticed better feel and more confidence. There is the assumption (and pretty good evidence to support this theory) that the stock tyres are manufactured in bulk and under licence from Bridgestone by someone else, which is perhaps why they wear so quickly and give such poor feedback  :027:. Hence why a new pair from dealer prove to be better, as they will be sourced from, and produced by Bridgestone.

Start your research here: https://www.z1000sx.co.uk/index.php/topic,10012.0.html

:830:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline Himself

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:54:11 AM »
Talking to the tyre guru who lives near me, he believes the tyre is in the early stages of delaminating, so off they come sharpish.

After reading pages of messages on the forum and watching Ryan F9s great videos - they give outstanding levels of information - I settled on T31s, hoping that they will gave similar handling, better wet grip and longer life than a set of S21s would.

S21s would have been an excellent choice if all I did was dry weather riding – Living in England, dry weather only riding would mean 500 miles a year, tops 😊

My last two sets of Metzler Roadtec 01s have been excellent (on my Versys 1000), but I only get half-life out of them before the shoulder is really noticeable. The rear is OK, but the front squares off.

Offline wirral_biker

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX Z900RS
  • City / Town: Wirral
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 10:56:33 AM »
I'm with 'himself'  haven't had any concerns with the OE tyres on my bike.   White lining problem is only probably to wear etc.
Tyres are a very personal thing with users saying try another profile/try another PSI/another make etc etc.    I'd certainly have ( up to now  :002: )
no problem having another set fitted.
P.S.  Yes, I can ride a bike properly !!  :001:

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 03:46:04 PM »
As has been said tyres really are a personal thing. The stock tyres are fine in the dry and i quite actually like them in those circumstances as they are pointy and give the front end this darty feeling that i quite like.

Most people here (and perhaps everywhere else) rave about the roadtec 01's. I have a pair 500ish miles in and i think i'm an exception to that majority. I don't like them, better in wet than stock obviously, definitely not bad in the dry either but i found steering is slower. The bike is more stable in longer tight corners and i don't have to correct mid corner as much but its (for me) lost that 'flickability' that i quite enjoyed. They've let go on me once so far mid corner due to user error (too much throttle too much lean and too cold a tyre! :oh_no: :192:) and it was progressive-ish and then when they hook back up it wasn't violent.

I haven't tried the road 5's yet but i know the pr4's i had on my 2017 ninja 650 really were a revelation. They made the front end feel soo much lighter, coming to a turn they would just 'drop in' and hold it and bike felt much more agile and i felt much more confident on them. I don't drag knee's or go mental on the road so I've never experienced the creeping that others mention with the PR4's.

for the summer my OE bridgestones with 2.5k are going back on, considering the centre is made of chocolate i doubt they will last that long. Then it will be back to the roadtec's finish them off and debate PR4, PR5 or if profile of M7RR's are different to the Roadtec 01's will consider them too.

Nb: in the cold and wet i found the OE tyres made my cajones want to migrate upwards for safety reasons.....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:51:44 PM by Ninjamaster »
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Online maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 05:49:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ninjamaster [+]
As has been said tyres really are a personal thing. The stock tyres are fine in the dry and i quite actually like them in those circumstances as they are pointy and give the front end this darty feeling that i quite like.

Most people here (and perhaps everywhere else) rave about the roadtec 01's. I have a pair 500ish miles in and i think i'm an exception to that majority. I don't like them, better in wet than stock obviously, definitely not bad in the dry either but i found steering is slower. The bike is more stable in longer tight corners and i don't have to correct mid corner as much but its (for me) lost that 'flickability' that i quite enjoyed. They've let go on me once so far mid corner due to user error (too much throttle too much lean and too cold a tyre! :oh_no: :192:) and it was progressive-ish and then when they hook back up it wasn't violent.

I haven't tried the road 5's yet but i know the pr4's i had on my 2017 ninja 650 really were a revelation. They made the front end feel soo much lighter, coming to a turn they would just 'drop in' and hold it and bike felt much more agile and i felt much more confident on them. I don't drag knee's or go mental on the road so I've never experienced the creeping that others mention with the PR4's.

for the summer my OE bridgestones with 2.5k are going back on, considering the centre is made of chocolate i doubt they will last that long. Then it will be back to the roadtec's finish them off and debate PR4, PR5 or if profile of M7RR's are different to the Roadtec 01's will consider them too.

Nb: in the cold and wet i found the OE tyres made my cajones want to migrate upwards for safety reasons.....

Sounds to me the Pirelli Angel GTs would suit you better, I've gone back to them after a set of Roadtec 01s for similar reasons. Like you say though, personal choice at the end of the day.

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 06:03:36 PM »
I thought the angel GT had a similar rounded profile to the roadtecs and so assumed they would feel similar in terms of corning and left to right transitions? If my assumption is in correct happy to put them on my shopping list.
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 07:18:58 PM »
The Angels are definitely sportier in the way they feel in my experience  :028:
I'd happily have another set and probably would have had already if I hadn't got such good deals on my 01s  :002:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Online KD

• SX God
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Warminster
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 07:55:55 PM »
 :461: I'm going back to the Angel GT's once I wear the R5's out.

Love the GT's in torrential rain across Wales and in the dry. I replaced them at the start of the next season. They weren't worn out and I got over 8000 miles out of them .
Regards David.

2018 Kawasaki Z1000SX WJF.
2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRT.

Offline Himself

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 09:46:22 PM »
To quote the tyre guru I mention earlier...

"The tyres you have are probably S20. They are (most likely) the OE version and you are the only person I have met who likes them. The S21 and the new S22 are brilliant but the T31 will last a lot longer and in the wet weather test I did last year they came out equal with the Road 5 and only just behind the Roadtec 01. The S21 won the Performance Bikes tyre test last year. It got that many points on the track session that it won the overall test. The S21/22 are pure sport tyres and are ok in the wet. If you only ride in the dry then the S21/22 are a great choice but if you do ride in the wet then the T31 would be better. "

I found the Roadtec excellent in the wet, but as NinjaMaster said ... "The bike is more stable in longer tight corners and I don't have to correct mid-corner as much but its (for me) lost that 'flickability' that I quite enjoyed."

And that is how I found my Versys on Roadtecs - Great bike, but in the bends, it was heavy - stable and predictable, but heavy.

Hence the T31s. Most likely to feel like the S21 but with wet weather grip and longer life.

Tyres are massively personal and everyone loves their bike with new tyres, pretty much regardless of what brand they are. I'll report back when the T31s have a thousand miles on them.

Thanks for the thoughts and information

expletive