Active Topics


Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: SatNav or Smart Phone ?  (Read 2187 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Tudor Rebel

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 594
  • Tudor Rebel
  • Bike: 2017 NCC-1701
  • City / Town: Northampton
  • Country: England
Re: SatNav or Smart Phone ?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 10:08:51 AM »
I too use mine all the time in conjunction with my Packtalk Bold, brillant at warning me of speed, or speed cameras, it’s so easy to creap up on speed, and that little ding in your ear makes you look at the speedo.

Like shandy’s I get all up-to-date alerts of anything and almost everything on the road ahead, to the points it can be annoying, even if extremely helpful

Also (Garmin only) I can stream, music, or say talkSPORT though the sat nav, so can control it via the sat nav, which does not sound like much..until you can.

Plus of course the sat nav gives me handfree phone calling..kinda important on a bike  :745:
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

Offline SteveMat

  • SX Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 222
  • Bike: Green Tourer
  • City / Town: Blackwood
  • Country: UK
Re: SatNav or Smart Phone ?
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 10:22:50 AM »
You can do all that and more on a phone, like voice control of just about everything.  If you were that way inclined, you could even watch tv!

I use Camsam for camera alerts.  Runs in the background and alerts via sound.

Offline Shandy

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 905
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
  • Country: UK
Re: SatNav or Smart Phone ?
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 10:45:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tudor Rebel [+]
I too use mine all the time in conjunction with my Packtalk Bold, brillant at warning me of speed, or speed cameras, it’s so easy to creap up on speed, and that little ding in your ear makes you look at the speedo.

Like shandy’s I get all up-to-date alerts of anything and almost everything on the road ahead, to the points it can be annoying, even if extremely helpful

Also (Garmin only) I can stream, music, or say talkSPORT though the sat nav, so can control it via the sat nav, which does not sound like much..until you can.

Plus of course the sat nav gives me handfree phone calling..kinda important on a bike  :745:

 :430:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline keithzx

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 274
  • Bike: z 1000 sx tourer
  • City / Town: south shields
  • Country: uk
Re: SatNav or Smart Phone ?
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 11:03:18 AM »
always preferred my sat nav , use a garmin ,does the route finding , I can answer the phone through it notifications show up on the screen , shows me  the fixed  speed cameras warnings, will warn me if I am exceeding the speed limits , shows petrol station locations and more , you can also get the tyre pressure warning displayed if you fit the pressure caps  I use a cardo solo rider , or have the schuberth comms on my new helmet, every body has different preferences its what you are comfortable with   

Offline stevo

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 658
  • Bike: XSR900 & T120
  • City / Town: West Wittering
  • Country: UK
Re: SatNav or Smart Phone ?
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 02:53:27 PM »
A dedicated satnav is always best for it's dedicated features... a phone is ok for short jollies, but bear in mind for long journeys a phone (especially on hot days) can easily over heat. They are not designed as 'tour' sat navs. I've personally seen a few iphones and samsungs do this and if not damaged they need a good portion of time to cool down.

Stevo

Offline Shandy

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 905
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
  • Country: UK
Re: SatNav or Smart Phone ?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 03:52:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by stevo [+]
A dedicated satnav is always best for it's dedicated features... a phone is ok for short jollies, but bear in mind for long journeys a phone (especially on hot days) can easily over heat. They are not designed as 'tour' sat navs. I've personally seen a few iphones and samsungs do this and if not damaged they need a good portion of time to cool down.

Stevo

 :460:

Just to add, they don't like the cold either, my iPhone 6 battery drops to 1% from nearly full charge when riding home in cold if it's in the bike holder. Only started happening this winter and I now keep it in an inside pocket  :190:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline Himself

  • SX Member
  • **
  • Posts: 19
  • Adventure Before Dementia
  • Bike: 2018 SX
  • City / Town: Newark, Notts
  • Country: England
Re: SatNav or Smart Phone ?
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 04:00:47 PM »
I used an old mobile phone (Galaxy s5) and a case from Ultimate addons.

Bluetooth connection to the Sena in my Shoei. Riding all over Europe, I use a pay as you go sim from Three. I spend about a tenner a year on data, which give me maps, spoken instructions, real-time traffic, and I use CamSam for cameras.

Navigation ... I tried lots for different reasons .. my 10 pence worth goes ...

Co-Pilot - Good. Offline maps are a bonus but stuck in the 1980s. Can get very annoying with the difference between fixed waypoints that you must go through and waypoint you want to breeze past. Last time I used it there still wasn't an offline map editor so you had to use Google Maps and ITN to do the file conversion.

Calimoto - Pretty good, but was getting expensive. A few fancy features that were excellent (loved the lean angle report), but there was something about UK roads and their mapping that was off. It was constantly telling me to turn left or right when, in reality, I was on the major road and the "turn" was a minor road joining the road I was on).

Finally settled on MyRouteApp - Same development core as Tyre with an outstanding offline (website) route editor. I paid for the gold membership which wasn't expensive - a couple of quid a month from memory - Uses google maps - has route reverse - you can download the maps for an area you are visiting to save data costs, although Three makes this almost unnecessary.

Plan the route on your Pc/Mac at home and save. When you look for the route on your phone - there it is. All that "in the cloud" shizzle is worth it sometimes  :018:

Total investment in the phone, case and membership came to less than 200 quid and I'm still using it over two years later.

Everyone has their preference. I couldn't get past the 500 quid TomTom wanted.

Offline Tudor Rebel

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 594
  • Tudor Rebel
  • Bike: 2017 NCC-1701
  • City / Town: Northampton
  • Country: England
Re: SatNav or Smart Phone ?
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 04:40:39 PM »
And tons of hours having to sort everything out before you leave the house

I’ve tried what you do, I also used three before trying Vodafone, and if I had not downloaded maps I would still have lost navigation, parts of the EU have zero cover for all phones. (And those parts can cover a few hundred miles)

(I still use my Three sim when in the USA)..they the best and cheapest, by far.

You can pick up a old-ish motorcycle satnav or even use a car one just put in a cover and still far better than using a mobil phone.

And a lot cheaper than 200, although I paid close to 400 for mine, I will have it 5 years, so a bargain really.


I still use my Three SIM card when in the USA, they the cheapest and best for that kinda of use by far
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:42:31 PM by Tudor Rebel »
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

Offline NoddyNinja

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 761
  • Bike: Aprilia Tuono V4
  • City / Town: Rossendale
  • Country: UK
Re: SatNav or Smart Phone ?
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 07:17:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by SteveMat [+]
You can do all that and more on a phone, like voice control of just about everything.  If you were that way inclined, you could even watch tv!

I use Camsam for camera alerts.  Runs in the background and alerts via sound.

Is that a App? Can't seem to find it
Enjoying the V4 "ROAR"

Offline Tudor Rebel

  • SX Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 594
  • Tudor Rebel
  • Bike: 2017 NCC-1701
  • City / Town: Northampton
  • Country: England
Re: SatNav or Smart Phone ?
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 07:25:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by NoddyNinja [+]
Is that a App? Can't seem to find it

Waze is brillant, for my money it’s the best app for cameras, be they mobile or fixed
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 07:27:30 PM by Tudor Rebel »
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

 


expletive