Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Plumbing in battery charger  (Read 355 times)

Offline tonyt4

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
Plumbing in battery charger
« on: March 13, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »
I am a bit of numpty on electrics, also anything mechanical, DIY  - just generally a numpty really.
Anyway wanted to put put the per menant connection from my Battery to my Oximiser.  A suitable lead was supplied with charger.  However, can't see that Oxford supplier the connector needed to attach this to the charger lead.  It's obviously just a standard electrical connector but don't know which one to order.  Picture of connector below
thanks
Tony

Offline tonyt4

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
Re: Plumbing in battery charger
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 06:32:04 PM »
try again with the picture

Offline keithzx

• SX Master
  • Bike: z 1000 sx tourer
  • City / Town: south shields

Online Teddybear

• SX Member
  • It's only rock n roll but I like it...lol
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2018
  • City / Town: Northants
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 07:27:16 PM »
I have one of these you should have a red and black ring lead to connect to the + and - on the battery.The leads from the charger plugs into the connector as per your pic the other is the mains lead that goes into the plug socket...I.e. house electric...
Leave it connected when bike is not in use undo connector from the battery click cover over to keep the wet weather out when you want to ride...
Hope that help you... :028:

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 07:59:42 PM »
you shouldnt need to buy anything extra all the wiring comes with the oximiser (at least mine did!). as mentioned the the lead in your pic will have 2 donought shaped bits of metal one with red sheathing and one with black. Connect the red to positive and the black to negative terminal. all you do is unscrew slip the donoughts over and rescrew down.

for what its worth this type of connector is absolutely rubbish compared to the optimate one (i dont know what they call it). Its prone to corroding and bending easily and the connection breaks. im on my third one. The black cover is stiff at first but make sure its sealed closed properly. I've moved mine to under the cowl to keep it away from the elements.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:02:15 PM by Ninjamaster »
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline tonyt4

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 07:47:30 PM »
thank you - had to be something stupid - what i had not noticed was that the existing connector from the charger to two crocodile clips was via one of these plastic connectors   :oh_no:
thanks

Tony

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:17:35 PM »
you live and learn mate.
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline cyanide sid

• SX Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 02:42:38 PM »
Yes the connectors on the old Optimate seem to be better, mine's at least ten yrs old
and still going strong maybe because the connector lives underneath the pillion seat
                            [ Nice and dry ]

Online Teaboy

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 07:48:55 AM »
I don't understand Oxford using such a poor quality unreliable cable connector it spoits an otherwise excellent product, I got fed up of mine not always making contact and upgraded to a din plug and socket now I have an easy to use robust connector that works every time  :028:

expletive