Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: z1000sx commuter / running costs  (Read 855 times)

maccmike, burty and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Mr NSB

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Andover
Re: z1000sx commuter / running costs
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 02:48:17 PM »
I'm not a commuter and I do not do many short trips so this may not help.

In 2015 I had a Tiger 800 Xrt and averaged 60 mpg over the 6000 miles I had it. I was getting 200 - 240 miles to a tank with mixed riding. With my SX I have averaged 51.1 mpg over 3000 miles.

Offline shigidar

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2016
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 04:40:07 PM »
I have my 2016 for 3 years now, and from time to time i consider a change just for the sake of a new bike, and i don't see anything on the market (may be except the new BMW -RS, which is way pricier)  that even come close to the mighty  Z1000SX. You can't go wrong with it. If you push it over 7000 RPM all the time you get about 230 k"m from the tank, if you mixed it with "normal" riding it about 300 k"m form the tank. Besides making adjustment to the suspension to fit me, 110 k"g ,  made no other changes, stock seat, stock windshield riding all year but i am In israel so we don't really have a winter  :001: btw i am 55

Offline DavidStonework

• SX Member
  • Bike: z1000SX 2017
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 05:54:47 PM »
Daily 40 mile commute, mixed driving and currently a lot of stop-start through roadworks and queues. Average about 45mpg on that, so around 170miles on the tank without going to fumes.

There are more economical bikes. You're welcome to one. Puts a smile on my face every day.

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 11:19:22 PM »
annoys me that literally everyone is getting better mpg than i am! still love it but mine started flashing at 99miles today! wonder if something is amiss hmm. good thread btw.
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Online Mr NSB

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Andover
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 05:45:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ninjamaster [+]
annoys me that literally everyone is getting better mpg than i am! still love it but mine started flashing at 99miles today! wonder if something is amiss hmm. good thread btw.

‘99 miles to the dash flashing’ is that from what, a full tank , nearly full tank, half full tank? What mpg are you actually getting? And how are you measuring the result? If your 99 miles to flashing is from a properly full tank you would have used 15 litres and that is 30mpg so very low compared to mine. How many litres did it take when you refuelled?

I measure mine from full tank to full tank and I use the fuelly app. When I fill up I also sit on the bike with it upright so I make sure the tank is full. If you fill up on the side stand and don’t get the fuel to the top you will possibly be a couple of litres or more away from a full tank so reducing your range.

Online Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 10:37:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by burty [+]
I commuted daily on mine for the best part of 5 years.  30+ miles each way into London.  160 miles to each tankful, which is about 40 -45 mpg.  It's a pretty good commuter for a combined open road, highway/motorway and town traffic commute.  I've done the same on many other bikes and the SX is up there with the best of them. 

The biggest downside is service intervals are short (probably shorter than your Triumph) at 4000 miles, and quite expensive.  Other drawbacks are the later mirrors stick out a bit too much (early mirrors were better IMHO).  The chain doesn't last well if you ride in all weathers.  And panniers are rubbish for filtering in my opinion.  (Hence why I use a top box).  Also the seat is the first thing to fix.

:461: With the first part but  :431: not second part.

I've done 12000 miles now and still on original chain, only adjusted it myself twice in that time (probably adjusted by dealer in service also) and I recon it's got another adjustment or two in her still.
Before anyone suggests it, I'm not a cleaning fanatic, don't have the time! I commute in all weathers and most of the time she is left dirty for a couple of weeks until I get time to clean her  :019:

I use all WD40 products, chain cleaner, bike wash, wax (not lube) and break cleaner. A generic Halfords polish and just started using ACF50.

Yes chain is not totally rust free, I've always found OEM chains are like that and I won't buy another. All I do is use an Oxford Chain brush and a bit of elbow grease!

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/298716 (this is Motul one, but same thing)

I also find that it's easier to clean and better to wax a hot chain, so best done straight after a ride or run it in first on paddock stand for five minuets before cleaning. I also clean chain before bike, and wax chain after cleaning bike, run it to flick off excess water first and wipe it gently, to clean off excess wax.

Simples  :028:

I do enjoy cleaning bike though, I find it quite therapeutic, or maybe just the chance to get time to myself  :164:

When it comes to it, I will be replacing with a gold DID chain and JT sprockets most likely. Best combination and far better quality than OEM parts IMO, usually cheaper too!
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Online burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
« Reply #16 on: Today at 08:22:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
:461: With the first part but  :431: not second part.

I've done 12000 miles now and still on original chain, only adjusted it myself twice in that time (probably adjusted by dealer in service also) and I recon it's got another adjustment or two in her still.
Before anyone suggests it, I'm not a cleaning fanatic, don't have the time! I commute in all weathers and most of the time she is left dirty for a couple of weeks until I get time to clean her  :019:

I use all WD40 products, chain cleaner, bike wash, wax (not lube) and break cleaner. A generic Halfords polish and just started using ACF50.

Yes chain is not totally rust free, I've always found OEM chains are like that and I won't buy another. All I do is use an Oxford Chain brush and a bit of elbow grease!

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/298716 (this is Motul one, but same thing)

I also find that it's easier to clean and better to wax a hot chain, so best done straight after a ride or run it in first on paddock stand for five minuets before cleaning. I also clean chain before bike, and wax chain after cleaning bike, run it to flick off excess water first and wipe it gently, to clean off excess wax.

Simples  :028:

I do enjoy cleaning bike though, I find it quite therapeutic, or maybe just the chance to get time to myself  :164:

When it comes to it, I will be replacing with a gold DID chain and JT sprockets most likely. Best combination and far better quality than OEM parts IMO, usually cheaper too!

Yes but you have only covered 12000 miles on the chain which is hardly a long life,  how long do you expect it to last?  I have had over 40000 miles out of chains on other bikes used in a similar manner to my SX, and typically I have found the chain on the SX to be finished by about 18000 miles, maybe earlier.
2011 Z1000SX, in GREEN, owned since September 2011.  50,000 miles, MCT tweaked front suspension, Maxton Rear shock, heated grips, MRA dark sport screen, PDoiler, Scorpion Serket Exhausts.

Online Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #17 on: Today at 09:32:43 PM »
Fair play, the answer is I don't really know...

I always thought 10-12k was about right for a chain, changed three OEM chains (all Triumph) in my biking career and I thought the fact the Kawak had made it to 12k and still seems reasonable condition was a good sign.

Never had to change a second chain on any bike, never had them long enough to need to. Always thought I was doing the next owner a favor by replacing with a decent aftermarket chain.

If you've done 40k on a chain then 10-12 sort of feels inadequate now.

I suppose the good thing is the Kawak chain seems to be performing better than the Triumphs I've owned.  :027:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

expletive