Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replacement Battery Confusion  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Popinman

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
Replacement Battery Confusion
« on: February 09, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »
Hi guys.

Sorry. Not posted for a while!

I need to replace my battery in my 2018 model, which is OEM YTX9-BS. When I look for a lithium replacement on Sportsbikeshop it says that the Shido replacement is not the LTX9-BS. Is this wrong or am I missing something?

Cheers!

Offline Gothrick

• SX Member
Re: Replacement Battery Confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 03:27:54 PM »
Don't know if there are any vast differences between Shido and Skyrich Lithium batteries but the Skyrich website gives the following information: -
Skyrich HJTX9-FP-WI
Equivalent battery models : YTX9-BS, YTR9-BS
£78.00 delivered price

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 04:20:09 PM »
I've a JMT lithium in mine that I've had for two years now.

Double check size and AH and CCA.

One example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lithium-Ion-Motorcycle-Battery-YTX9-BS-HJTX9-FP/dp/B00MY87CA2
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 04:21:08 PM »
Also, why do you need to replace a battery that is only (at most) a year old?
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline Popinman

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 04:29:02 PM »
Cheers guys.

New one needed as fried current one by leaving the ignition on for several days while it was sat in the garage (yeah, I know, muppet). Tried charging and leaving it on Optimate, but it just won’t keep a full charge and has died once on start up.

Handbook says 12v 8ah, but this for e.g. says it’s right for my model, but is 12v 3.5ah https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/248673

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Tudor Rebel
  • Bike: 2017 NCC-1701
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 04:30:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by whyhaveone [+]
Also, why do you need to replace a battery that is only (at most) a year old?
Was wondering this myself, would have thought still be under warranty..unless damaged by user
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

Offline Scotty001

• SX God
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 12:42:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Popinman [+]

Handbook says 12v 8ah, but this for e.g. says it’s right for my model, but is 12v 3.5ah https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/248673

Thecnically that better will work  (but it has a lower capacity than kawasaki reccomend)
It will now work very well or for verry long. It will not be any good for short journeys, and will go through many charge cycles.

The 3.5ah means it will hold a charge of 3.5amps for 1 hour before it is flat. On a short journey you will use more amp hour firing up the ignition, turning the bike over and running the electrical (lights, tacho, ecu......) than you will be able to put back into the battery through the bikes charging system. do multiple short journeys and the battery will never recover enough energy through the bikes charging system and the battery will go flat quickly and it won't be long till you can't fire the bike up.

If your only doing long journeys then the bikes charging system will be running long enough for the battery to recover and charge back up so its in good health and will turn the bike over when the ignition is fired up.

The more amp hour the battery capacity the better. The more shorter journeys you will have before there isnt enough amps to fire the bike over. The likleyhood is you will have a longer ride which will replenish the battery to full again before the battery is discharged too much.

The more amp hour you have in a battery that will fit in your bike the better.

The next thing is cca's (cold cranking amps)
Again the bigger the cca the better. This is the power force in turning a bike over (a good cca is needed especially in cold weather when the battery is cold too, we know that cold temperatures limit the efficiency of batteries)

A low cca will make the ignition feel sluggish and weak, needing you to hold the ignition button  in longer, you will hear the bike starter motor turn over more times before the starter motor ignights the sparkplugs and fire the engine into life.

A high cca will result in the engine firing up in an instant when you press the ignition button.

On some bikes a low cca will ruin the bike (for example on my old sprint rs a low cca would screw the sprag clutch (a £800 engine out repair job)

Again like the amp hour you want as many cca as you can in a battery that will fit in the bikes battery component and has the correct + / - configuration.

oem equipment this is generally what the manufacturer recommended as the best minimum to have, but patent parts can have better features (such as higher amp hour and higher cca's which will be better (well the cca's will definitely be a better thing to have) the amp hour depends on the type of riding and electricals you run off of the battery.

For my last 3 bikes when I have needed to replace the oem battery I've gone for a motobatt, they are slightly smaller, the ones that will fit in the battery compartment had much higher cold cranking amps and also a higher amp hour rating. Motobatt are gel batteries too and cheaper than oem.  There are other manufacturers out there so do look and get what's
Going to fit and get the highest cca and highest ah you can (it has to be 12v as that's the electrical system you bike runs on)

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 07:47:46 AM »
Why not just replace with OEM?  They are available for half that price.

https://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/yuasa-ytx9-bs-motorcycle-battery.html

And honestly, if looked after, it should last at least 4 years.
2017 Z1000SX, in black.  Roughly 70000 miles and 8 years on SXs.

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 10:26:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Popinman [+]
Cheers guys.

I'd never get anything under the original batteries AH or CCA.

As mentioned, a lower CCA can badly affect starting components.

Offline Scotty001

• SX God
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 10:50:33 AM »
Comparison of the OEM Yassu & The Motobatt i mentioned in an earlier post
Yassu                                                Motobatt
Part Number:  YTX9-BS                     Part Number:  MBT9XU
Voltage:  12v                                    Voltage:  12v
Capacity:  8Ah                                  Capacity:  10Ah
CCA Rating (EN):  135A                    CCA Rating (EN):  160A
Weight:  3Kg                                     Weight:  3.4Kg
Length:  150mm                               Length:  151mm
Width:  87mm                                  Width:  87mm
Height:  105mm                               Height:  110mm

If there is enough room to safely fit a battery with the height of 130MM you could look at a Motobatt MBTXU
Part Number:  MBTX12u                   
Voltage:  12v                                   
Capacity:  14Ah       (6Ah more than Oem)                         
CCA Rating (EN):  200A    (70cca More than Oem)               
Weight:  4.4Kg                                 
Length:  150mm                           
Width:  87mm                             
Height:  130mm