Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Super Unleaded  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Teaboy

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
Re: Super Unleaded
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 08:06:49 AM »
How much of the super unleaded improved performance is between the ears? Could anyone tell the difference in a blind side by side test
I have my doubts

Offline Swansea Jack

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX(2018)
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 08:18:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Captain-Failmore [+]
... 99 RON performs noticeably better than standard 95 RON.

That's what my bike seemed to indicate yesterday. Seemed to get to higher revs smoother and quicker. How is it better for you?

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 08:23:13 AM »
I put a tank in once a month, but for its cleansing properties.

Does higher octane fuel give more power?
Octane does not offer any better fuel mileage, increase engine horsepower, or make the engine start quicker. ... Because higher octane gas burns slower, it is more resistant to knock when subjected to higher RPM and cylinder pressures. Compression ratios also factor into cylinder pressures.
If anything it will simply make your bike run a bit hotter unless you have the hardware and tuning to extract the benefits. Kawasaki built this bike to run on lower octane fuel...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:39:34 AM by mdr1970 »
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline Swansea Jack

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX(2018)
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 08:42:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
I put a tank in once a month, but for its cleansing properties.

Does higher octane fuel give more power?
Octane does not offer any better fuel mileage, increase engine horsepower, or make the engine start quicker. ... Because higher octane gas burns slower, it is more resistant to knock when subjected to higher RPM and cylinder pressures. Compression ratios also factor into cylinder pressures.
If anything an engine will simply make your bike run hotter unless you have the hardware and tuning to extract the benefits. Kawasaki built this bike to run on lower octane fuel...
Where does your info come from? Are pre 17 bikes the same as current models? Not questioning your opinions here but I am confused as some say what is happening cannot possibly happen.  :187: Official Kawasaki quote would be useful.

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 09:20:20 AM »
I used to ask this question all the time and got confusing answers from everyone and everywhere. My mate races in the Ducati Cup and pointed me in this direction. Googling the same question now will give you loads of info comfirming my previous comment.
I also asked the guy who remapped my bike after I changed my headers.
Here's more info: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0210-paying-premium-high-octane-gasoline
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:21:56 AM by mdr1970 »
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline Fair Weather

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Tenbury Wells
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 09:41:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ninjamaster [+]
Sounds like our other halves would get on well then!  :008:

:745: :745: :745: :745:
If it looks to good to be true, buy it.

Offline Captain-Failmore

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 10:34:39 AM »
I am not going to argue against anyones science, webpage or friend who knows the facts, all I go by is what I have felt, (and I HAVE felt smoother running.) As I said I am in it for the cleaners but 99RON runs smoother to me no question, extra power?.. nah, just a bit more responsive and smooth.... like your SX has had a coffee.
YNWA 96

Offline survi

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2017
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 04:20:58 PM »
I was reading once test unleaded vs super vs vpower, test was to drain all fuel out of motorcycle I mean 100% than pump it with couple liters and put it on dyno, there was only couple horse power on super unleaded to normal but don't think you could feel it, and there is weird thing on vpower was less horse power than on super but a bit more than on normal. They didn't test cleaning purpose, but when I was driving every week to other city I was making in every weekend different fuel and results was that on super I was having less fuel consumption :)
Z1000SX 2017 Tourer Candy Burnt Orange | Kawasaki sliders | WILKUJ automatic chain oiler | Bodyguard PPF | Ventura rack + SHAD SH58 | R&G tail tidy + LED indicators | Arrow headers + Scorpion Serket

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 05:09:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Captain-Failmore [+]
I am not going to argue against anyones science, webpage or friend who knows the facts, all I go by is what I have felt, (and I HAVE felt smoother running.) As I said I am in it for the cleaners but 99RON runs smoother to me no question, extra power?.. nah, just a bit more responsive and smooth.... like your SX has had a coffee.

+1  :461:

I use Shell V-Power 90% of the time, when not I’ll always choose the premium option.

I agree it’s mostly in the mind but that’s half the point.

I take comfort in the fact I’m feeding her the best she can get and will therefore run better, smoother and more economical. How much of that is true I don’t know  :027:

But I do believe if I look after my bike, she will look after me!  :092:

Sounds crazy  :112: but some truth to it I think. Properly maintained and fed, she will run better, stay in better condition and therefore less likely to go wrong.

Also if I refrain from thrashing her and ride smoothly she’s less likely to throw me off.  :830:

Nuts I know, but it’s working for me!

The difference between a tank full of regular fuel and premium is usually no more than a pound or two at most. I think the cost is worth it for the cleaning and protection properties alone.

Ps I only use regular unleaded in the car and that runs like crap!!  :008:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline Zen56

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 2017 SX Orange
  • City / Town: Todmorden
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 06:24:56 PM »
Not sure you'd notice the difference on a bike but I ran a Ford Fiesta 1600 on super. Cost was approx 10% dearer but I got 10% better mileage. Worked out at same cost overall!