Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sat nav connection  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Teaboy

• SX Master
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
  • City / Town: Nth Lincolnshire
Re: Sat nav connection
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 06:42:44 PM »
Scotty it's never good to jump to to conclusions I don't have heated grips on my bike.!

Offline ZPETE

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »
ok, I have completed the job.
I am not keen on the snap close piggy back connectors, so i removed the bullet connectors from the grips, stripped back about 1cm and the same on the sat nav lead, then twisted wires together with flux, a dob of solder and i am left with a 1cm tinned tail that fits perfectly into a red ballet connector.
I now have grips and sat nav on shared, switched aux outlet. All works great and makes a neat job. sorry, no pics as that is beyond my computer skills :087:
Just ordered a Telferizer screen mount, so should be good to go for a test run early next week :830:
 :828: To all of you for your input, everyone so helpful on here. :028:

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 09:42:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by KD [+]
Ninjamaster and Teaboy ... You need to give accurate information for the model year of bike that the OP is asking about. NOT YOUR BIKE

ZPETE as you already know ... On the 2015 the only aux bullet connectors are under the left fairing, it doesn't have the aux bullet plugs for the power socket under your headlight.
Reference the piggyback scenario ... Scotty knows his stuff.
The EASIEST other way would be to extend the cables for the HEATED GRIPS or the SATNAV straight to the battery. If you have the oxford heated grips they are designed to be straight to the battery. Not sure about the OE heated grips.

:431:
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline Teddybear

• SX Member
  • It's only rock n roll but I like it...lol
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2018
  • City / Town: Northants
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 08:25:29 AM »
I will be wiring up my tomtom when I get a minute too...not looked for these aux connectors yet but on my previous bike only option was to connect direct to the battery...couple things I done might give another option..
I got an extension cable for my optimiser charger,plug already connected to the battery.I soldered the Tomtom power lead to the Male part of the extension lead cut to length and used this by plugging into the female battery plug....the lead has a inline fuse already to protect your unit but sure I read the Tomtom unit had an internal 2amp fuse very tricky to change in the round bar connection the sat nav slides into....so all i done was change the inline fuse for a 1.6amp so that failed first....never had any issues work great over the summer then just unplug when not required...I left it connected all the two week I was away...think connection to the sx is easier but with check the aux fuse in fusebox just incase...hope this makes sense... :490:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:27:13 AM by Teddybear »

Offline gipsymagpie

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2016
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 10:17:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZPETE [+]
I am not keen on the snap close piggy back connectors, so i removed the bullet connectors from the grips, stripped back about 1cm and the same on the sat nav lead, then twisted wires together with flux, a dob of solder and i am left with a 1cm tinned tail that fits perfectly into a red ballet connector.

Leaving aside the red ballet connector  :745:, it's time the UK auto electrical world ditched those horrendous clippy splice things.  The Americans have had Posi-Taps for ages and they're awesome.  No soldering or exposing wires; just screw them on and they make a needle thin hole in through the insulation (which pretty much self seals when you move gadgets to your next bike).  I bought a box on a trip to the states (delivered to hotel) and since they're reusable I've made the box last 5 bikes.  I think one guy imports them to UK (Kojaycat?)

It makes it dead simple to get a switched live for a auxillary fuse box (either self made or bought).  Just Posi-Tap into the tail light/side light/heated grip line and run a bit of wire.   

I only use them of course because I am rubbish at soldering...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 10:25:01 PM by gipsymagpie »

Offline Scotty001

• SX God
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by gipsymagpie [+]
Leaving aside the red ballet connector  :745:, it's time the UK auto electrical world ditched those horrendous clippy splice things.  The Americans have had Posi-Taps for ages and they're awesome.  No soldering or exposing wires; just screw them on and they make a needle thin hole in through the insulation (which pretty much self seals when you move gadgets to your next bike).  I bought a box on a trip to the states (delivered to hotel) and since they're reusable I've made the box last 5 bikes.  I think one guy imports them to UK (Kojaycat?)

It makes it dead simple to get a switched live for a auxillary fuse box (either self made or bought).  Just Posi-Tap into the tail light/side light/heated grip line and run a bit of wire.   

I only use them of course because I am rubbish at soldering...

Personally id not be keen one using that either. More below......

But if your taking the feed from the brake light feed up by the light the better and simpler option is a piggy back Y connector with bullet connectors, this way your not cutting into the bikes loom in any way.

With Posi taps you're still puncturing the insulation, it doesn't mention that its fully water proof (from the video I've seen there is no seals on these either to stop water ingress and water tracking down the wire and into the posi tap), it says only a small pin prick in the insulation (but the video on webbike world shows a huge gaping hole that would need to be repaired and made water tight when removed, also id be concerned that your not making a connection with every strand or conductor wire. There's a chance by screwing and clamping down the posi toap you could damage some of the conductor wires by over tightening. if you want to T off of a line you be better off by cutting the wire stripping the insulation back putting a T piece heat shrink over once end of the bikes wiring inserting the bare end of the accessory down the T piece, then getting your bare end of T off wire and twisting it around one of the other bare ends and crimping on bullet connectors, pull the T piece heat shrink into the right position and shrinking it down. (THIS IS OF COURSE IF YOU DON'T WANT / CANT SOLDER WHICH IS ALWAYS THE BEST PRACTICE)

Offline Beetlejuice

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 01:50:56 PM »
I came across this thread while looking for sat nav hard wiring, my question is:

I have the 2019 model and have 2 aux connectors behind the fairing - does it matter which one I use for the sat nav hard wiring please? I have already used one of them for my usb socket but hadn't thought about there being any difference (usb socket works fine).

Just thought of a 2nd question:

If I have my usb socket and sat nav wired in, is there another aux connector for heated grips should I want to fit these later?

Thanks
BJ

Offline Scotty001

• SX God
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 03:41:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Beetlejuice [+]
I came across this thread while looking for sat nav hard wiring, my question is:

I have the 2019 model and have 2 aux connectors behind the fairing - does it matter which one I use for the sat nav hard wiring please? I have already used one of them for my usb socket but hadn't thought about there being any difference (usb socket works fine).

Each aux wire is marked up in the fuse box if it is for the heated grips or for Aux. BUT as your only connecting a sat nav and usb sockets there isnt much to worry about which way around as both use so little power. The wire for Heated grips needs to be a little more robust than that of sockets and sat nav as it draws a little more load.

*Originally Posted by Beetlejuice [+]
Just thought of a 2nd question:

If I have my usb socket and sat nav wired in, is there another aux connector for heated grips should I want to fit these later?

Thanks
BJ
There are only the 2 Aux connections, but as i mentioned above using a sat nav and usb sockets they will use so little power (unless you are plugging in heavy load drawing appliances into the usb sockets.) There is no real issue connecting them both into the same aux wire using a piggyback wire (simple to make up yourself) then connect the heated grips into the specific heated grip aux wire.

a Piggy back wire is simply a way of making 2 aux connections that fit into 1 using wire and bullet connectors

Offline Beetlejuice

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2019 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Scotty001 [+]
Each aux wire is marked up in the fuse box if it is for the heated grips or for Aux. BUT as your only connecting a sat nav and usb sockets there isnt much to worry about which way around as both use so little power. The wire for Heated grips needs to be a little more robust than that of sockets and sat nav as it draws a little more load.

There are only the 2 Aux connections, but as i mentioned above using a sat nav and usb sockets they will use so little power (unless you are plugging in heavy load drawing appliances into the usb sockets.) There is no real issue connecting them both into the same aux wire using a piggyback wire (simple to make up yourself) then connect the heated grips into the specific heated grip aux wire.

a Piggy back wire is simply a way of making 2 aux connections that fit into 1 using wire and bullet connectors

:828:

expletive