Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gear Indicator Fitment - How To  (Read 179 times)

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
Gear Indicator Fitment - How To
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:35:48 PM »
Hi all,

Finally managed to fit a gear indicator today, I picked it up on this forum last month.

Couldn’t find a guide on here, I got the job done by reading bits and pieces of other posts. I thought I’d put it all together with  some pictures to help anyone else thinking of fitting one.

Firstly it’s pretty easy, once you know what you’re looking for. I’m a real novice and hold my breath every time I attempt anything considered to be DIY  :034:  so if I can do it, you can  :028:

For reference I have a 2016 SX and the gear indicator is an ‘IDEA’ one with the correct plug already connected. Most can be bought ready to ‘plug and play’ but like I said I got this one second hand off the forum, so I have no idea of its history or where it came from. Although it looks suspiciously like the one available from Kawasaki.

Anyway...

First step is to remove both seats.
(6mm Allen key needed)

Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
Re: Gear Indicator Fitment - How To
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:46:13 PM »
Next you need to locate the diagnostic plug.

Underneath where the riders seat would be, Looking towards the back of the bike it’s on right hand side.

Remove the black metal cover, two screws.
(25 torx key needed)
And remove the right hand connector, the smaller of the two.

Then remove the cap, a small flat screwdriver will help.

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:24:20 PM »
Next you need to start thinking about where you want to put the gear indicator and where to hide the wires.

You can do it the ‘proper way’ by removing the fairing and fiddling around trying to route it along the main wiring loom under the tank blah blah blah.... :087:

If you do, there’s plenty of YouTube videos how to remove the tank and stuff, you won’t find them here  :431:

I wanted it neatly on the dash, without all the fuss...

Loosen the piece of black plastic on left hand side of the bike. Remove 1 screw (4mm Allen key) just under where side of seat would be and gently pull it away from the bike. There’s one plastic lug and two hooks holding it in place after the screw’s removed.

Leave the plastic loosely hanging out.

You now need to remove the plastic surrounding the dashboard, you can get away with only removing half.
Remove two screws on the left hand side (4mm Allen key) and gently pull it back. You can feed the wire in behind so that it ends up where the screen mount is. Your gear indicator will sit there nicely  :062:

From here, you can start feeding the cable back towards the connector under the bike seat.

I squeezed it down between the tank and left hand fairing.

You then hide it behind the plastic bit removed earlier

and into the under seat area, following existing cables.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:29:50 PM by Shandy »

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 10:06:59 PM »
Nearly done... :038:

Plug her in!

Connect your gear indicator to your SX by plugging into the connector located earlier.

I put some black electrical tape around both ends, no particular reason, just thought it would protect the connection better. You can see from pictures how dirty it gets under seat  :034:

I packed the connector back under the rear of my bike, before replacing the metal cover and tidied up the slack by pulling it into space under the seat and putting twisty tie around it.

Finally test before replacing the seats.

The gear indicator should come on when you turn on the ignition but doesn’t show gear changes until the engine is running.
I tested it while my bike was on paddock stand because you need to release the clutch with engine running. A quick ride around the block will tell you if it’s working or not, if you don’t have a paddock stand.

Finally, the display will stay in place but I fixed it down using a piece of 3M sticky pad.
I also secured the wire with a cable tie loosely around existing cables in the front of the bike below left handlebar.

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:13:35 PM »
You’re all done!  :047: :046: :047: well done  :028:

Hope this helps and enjoy your new gear indicator!  :062:

:431: if I’ve missed anything, feel free to add to this or note any of your own experience  :828:

Also add pictures of your gear indicator fitted!

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 10:54:42 PM »
 :460: :047:

Offline Brickit

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2014
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 02:30:43 PM »
 :460:
Just one word of warning about routing wires round the bike.
I put in a feed for the sat nav and after a while the steering felt a bit odd. Full lock one side wasn't quite as free and easy as the other.
Of course, I hadn't secured the wire properly above the steering stops, it had dropped down and was getting seriously pinched. Luckily nothing blew.
Now I try to follow existing cable routes where possible, overdo the securing bit and use cable ties not sticky tape.
 :430: