Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ambient temperature.  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Tudor Rebel
  • Bike: 2017 GreenTardis
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Ambient temperature.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 09:00:26 AM »
I think I shrivelled up and died a little reading this thread  :190:   :745:
Kawasexy

Offline SEANSX

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Brightlingsea
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 09:39:06 AM »
Who cares mine is all wrapped up and warm for winter sorry  :190:

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 09:52:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by SEANSX [+]
Who cares mine is all wrapped up and warm for winter sorry  :190:

Drove in today due to the pouring rain here, but rode in yesterday and found it funny watching my neighbors shivering & struggling de-icing their cars as I carefully rode down my street  :164:  :008:

I choose not to set off in the pouring rain if I have the choice :112: but don't mind riding in it, or getting caught in it going home  :027:  :028: I actually don't mind the rain, it's the car spray I hate!  :004:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline fallenwout

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2018
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 12:08:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by nimmz [+]
That one is for air temperature entering the engine through the air intakes. I think
No, that is in fact the one that measures the outside temp on the dash. I had my left fairing off, forget to plug in that sensor and my outside temp got stuck at something like -30.

The outside temp has interference of the engine's heat, that is why it goes up when you stand still for a while.

Offline nimmz

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000sx orange
  • City / Town: Devon
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 04:20:38 AM »
My mistake I really should put my glasses on when looking for things, now where did I leave them

Offline Swansea Jack

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX(2018)
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 07:15:47 AM »
I hope Kawasaki are reading this thread. It could be a health and safety issue. Setting off with an air temperature indicating well above freezing when in fact the engine heat is misleading the rider, could result in personal injury. If my car sensor is in a 'safety conscious' location, why cannot my SX be? We do expect certain levels of accuracy on our display digits (eg mph). The ambient temperature gauge clearly does not consistently comply.
 :430:
Still, in the real world, most bikers are sensible sort of guys and use a bit of 'common'...don't they?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:25:40 AM by Swansea Jack »

Offline unclefester

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Knebworth
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 05:03:22 PM »
I wouldn't rely on that sensor for anything other than AIR temperature which is almost nothing to do with ground temperature. 

Better off using that common sense and keeping your eyes on the road looking out for shaded areas that hold nasty surprises.

For me, it's about as much use as a clock on a bike.

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by unclefester [+]
I wouldn't rely on that sensor for anything other than AIR temperature which is almost nothing to do with ground temperature. 

Better off using that common sense and keeping your eyes on the road looking out for shaded areas that hold nasty surprises.

For me, it's about as much use as a clock on a bike.

I find my clock on the dash really. Useful!  :002:

Offline Swansea Jack

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX(2018)
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 08:24:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by unclefester [+]
.......AIR temperature which is almost nothing to do with ground temperature. 

It is actually - when it's 15C in the air, frost is unlikely. When it's 3C in the air, it's quite possible. My point is, if there is a temp gauge it is to give some indication otherwise why put it on? Quite simply, the sensor is too near the engine. When my car shows 3C, it is 3C. There is even an audio warning to tell me to take extra care. Seems a simple thing to arrange to me. Anyway as Kawasaki employ a numpty to design this feature I will continue to use my instinct as I have always done on bikes without an air temp reading. Technology should work, otherwise, what's the point!

Here's to the numpty   :192:......... :002: 

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 07:09:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Swansea Jack [+]
It is actually - when it's 15C in the air, frost is unlikely. When it's 3C in the air, it's quite possible. My point is, if there is a temp gauge it is to give some indication otherwise why put it on? Quite simply, the sensor is too near the engine. When my car shows 3C, it is 3C. There is even an audio warning to tell me to take extra care. Seems a simple thing to arrange to me. Anyway as Kawasaki employ a numpty to design this feature I will continue to use my instinct as I have always done on bikes without an air temp reading. Technology should work, otherwise, what's the point!

Here's to the numpty   :192:......... :002:

It may not be in an ideal location, but where would you put the sensor where it is not affected by heat from the engine or exhaust?

The best place I can think of is in/under the left hand mirror. But this isn't going to be suitable as owners need to remove or replace them.
2011 Z1000SX, in GREEN, owned since September 2011.  50,000 miles, MCT tweaked front suspension, Maxton Rear shock, heated grips, MRA dark sport screen, PDoiler, Scorpion Serket Exhausts.