Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Light handling at high speed  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Looey

• SX Member
Re: Light handling at high speed
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 10:06:59 AM »
I don't think you can say "that's not how it should feel". It will depend how you're riding it, as this is a Sports Tourer that's specifically designed for just that, so will have its limitations.

Under normal circumstances and normal riding, these are well planted good handling bikes, but you start properly pushing it on fast bumpy roads (especially on stock suspension settings) and you'll soon find it moving around and have the front end feeling a bit nervous at higher speeds (I mean like fast bumpy sections at 120+ mph)

I live on the IOM and regularly do brisk runs over the Mountain section, and just adding some rear preload totally transformed it over some of the fast bumpy sections.

My bike's a 2015SX with only 1,900 miles on the clock (Michelin Pilot tyres), so doubt very much there's a fault or has tired suspension ?.

Offline Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Bike: XR34 and TZ350
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 10:28:05 AM »
Just a thought - but have a look at this as its easy to do - once sorted, I have had mine at way beyong road legal speeds as a MCUI travelling marshall and no issues at all on a proper roads-closed circuit (NW200) so had bumps and gradient lines.  However, on the SX at speed you also need to make sure your weight is well forward which is more difficult due to the upright position.  The change to decent tyres makes a massive difference too.  https://www.z1000sx.co.uk/index.php/topic,8675.0.html 
However, one thing I would caution as an ex racer and as an IAM instructor - stick to reasonable speeds on public roads and save the fast stuff for track days.  Sorry but have to include the health warning.

Rgds Steve
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:39:33 AM by Rocky the Dog »
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline Looey

• SX Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 05:53:22 PM »
Some good valuable info there.

Thanks Dad  :001:

Offline tonyt4

• SX Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 02:06:29 PM »
and there's me coming up from a Versys 650  - scares the S~*t out of me when it takes off at 7,000 rpm
 :830:

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 04:24:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by tonyt4 [+]
and there's me coming up from a Versys 650  - scares the S~*t out of me when it takes off at 7,000 rpm
 :830:

Like with anything you'll get used to it the more you use it :164:

I found when taking off and maintaining high speed for brief period the steering feels quite light. Subsequently reduced the throttle and heard a 'thunk' and realise that I had actually done a mini wheelie for a while!
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline sc00bie

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Tranent
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 08:13:44 PM »
Can feel a little light but I can't fault how well it holds the lines even when it is riding the grooves with a bit of a wiggle... have given the bars a bit of a shake at speed but never felt it would tank slap, I think its well mannered IMHO

Just as Looey said - I find if the rear suspension is too soft it will also cause similar feel, I'm still playing with suspension settings and I think that's key along with tyres, like most have already said.

Give it a little time..

Happy riding   :830:
Sc00bie