Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wheel removal  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • Topic Author
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
Wheel removal
« on: November 25, 2018, 07:01:48 PM »
Guys decided going to have a go at removing my wheels for replacement tyres. Any hints and tips? I've read through as many posts as i can find.

Things that concern me include:

1. Rear caliper, remove or not? If not does disc just slide in on refitting? Or do you have to go from. Slightly above and slot in?

2. Looks like there is some kind of bracket attached to the rear caliper or something on the inside of the swing arm (this big black piece of metal). What is it and how is it attached?

3. I belive there are 2 spacers on each side of wheel. Is each side different so I Dont. Get confused incase I loose track.

4. Does each spacer only fit one way?

Ta
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline KD

• SX God
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Warminster
Re: Wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 08:35:26 PM »
Seriously...

Find someone to help you the first few times. So you learn from them.

Regards David.

2018 Kawasaki Z1000SX WJF.
2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRT.

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • Topic Author
  • What's a corner?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 08:37:44 PM »
Will do Thanks.
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 11:56:06 PM »
I've only removed the rear wheel once a while back, so this is from memory.

1. The manual says remove the caliper. But is it actually necessary?
2. It's the torque link. Bolted.
3. They are different each side!
4. Not sure. Take photos.

I'll be finding out later this week.  :038:
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • Topic Author
  • What's a corner?
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 11:57:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by whyhaveone [+]
I've only removed the rear wheel once a while back, so this is from memory.

1. The manual says remove the caliper. But is it actually necessary?
2. It's the torque link. Bolted.
3. They are different each side!
4. Not sure. Take photos.

I'll be finding out later this week.  :038:

Thank you. I saw a post somewhere on here with an exploded diagramme but can't find it anymore. Will keep searching.
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline ed

• SX Master
  • Bike: '17 perf tourer
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 12:24:57 AM »
It's flippin awkward to remove the rear wheel. I gave up and took bike to local tyre place and they struggled too, but managed in the end. It's the oddly mounted caliper that's the biggest hurdle. Had no problems on my previous Hondas - can take wheel out in moments and reinstall equally fast, but the z1000sx is a bit of a pig in this respect...

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • Topic Author
  • What's a corner?
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 12:41:26 AM »
Thanks Ed.... Going to give it a bash a D see how far I get.
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Online maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 09:04:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ninjamaster [+]
Guys decided going to have a go at removing my wheels for replacement tyres. Any hints and tips? I've read through as many posts as i can find.

Things that concern me include:

1. Rear caliper, remove or not? If not does disc just slide in on refitting? Or do you have to go from. Slightly above and slot in?

2. Looks like there is some kind of bracket attached to the rear caliper or something on the inside of the swing arm (this big black piece of metal). What is it and how is it attached?

3. I belive there are 2 spacers on each side of wheel. Is each side different so I Dont. Get confused incase I loose track.

4. Does each spacer only fit one way?

Ta

You don't have to remove the rear caliper, but it makes the job a lot easier and only takes seconds. From the right side you will see 2 Allen bolt heads, 6mm Allen key if my memory serves me correctly, remove them and the caliper will come away. Tie it up out of the way without dangling it on the hose. Do not press brake pedal.

Remove 2 spring clips from each end of axle. Manual says new ones should  be fitted each time but don't think anyone does. I haven't. Now loosen axle nut, 8mm and 12 mm Allen keys I think. Remove axle, I usually have a piece of wood under the wheel to take the weight. Push wheel forward and lift chain off rear sprocket then slide wheel out rearwards. Spacers are handed so make sure you keep them in relative positions.
Refitting is reversal of above. All fasteners should be tightened to the correct torque. There is a sticky under maintenance with the correct figures. This is quite important on a bike as a lot of fasteners screw into alloy.

Front wheel is fairly straight forward, remove calipers, remove axle, 14mm Allen key. I use this draper drain plug tool.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002BUTBW/?coliid=I1P298ESJ6N47M&colid=EMQAOD6337BI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It isn't too difficult, but If you have never done anything like this before, like Dave says I would get some help first time or two.

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • Topic Author
  • What's a corner?
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 10:00:50 AM »
Thank you Mike!
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline kellyboy

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2014 Z1000sx abs
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 12:48:58 PM »
Just my 2 pennyworth having done the rear wheel removal 3 times in the space of 10 days in September! I found the easiest method as follows.
1. Once bike on a suitable stand get a piece of wood that will slide under the rear tyre. No brute force needed just a  mild intereference fit.
2.Remove the spring clips either side of the axle but do not loosen the axle.
3.Remove the caliper (2 bolts as stated above)
4.Slacken off the axle clamp bolts.
5.Put the 6mm allen key ( I think thats the size ) in the eccentric adjuster and turn it so it loosens the chain but only so far that it allows the chain to derail.
6.Re tighten the axle clamp bolts. Not too tight just enough to clamp the axle again.
7.Now undo the axle and remove.
This method keeps the axle in perfect alignment for subsequent re assembly which was the process I found to be the most frustrating when I did it on my own. Reassembly, once you put the wheel on the supporting piece of wood is not such a strain when you are trying to get the axle thro the spacers,axle and brake caliper mounting plate is not such a trial.

Hope that helps. :002:

expletive