Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: This is how I charge!  (Read 449 times)

Offline stevo

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: XSR900 & T120
  • City / Town: West Wittering
This is how I charge!
« on: November 21, 2018, 03:41:37 PM »
Hi Guys (stay with me this is bike related)!

Recently had a blip with the car when my obc flagged up a battery error. "Replace battery at your earliest convenience". For the record it's a BMW F10.

I did however have a new battery fitted in September of 2016 by BMW. Can you believe those swines at BMW only offer a 2 year warranty on their batteries and wanted £70+ to 'diagnose' the fault (so 2 months out of warranty)!

Instead I took it upon myself to purchase a CTEK MSX 5.0 battery charger / tender. What a brilliant little box of tricks. This, along with my CARLY iphone/blutooth adaptor fault code / programming software was enough for me to clear the fault and re-register the battery to the car to remove the on-screen fault light. Yes, the battery does have to be 'registered' to the car as most BMW electrical systems have what is called an IBS (intelligent battery system) which monitor's the battery voltage levels and adjusts the input voltage from the alternator dependant on the batteries overall condition. And should the battery start to fail the system will start to shut down none-essential electrical systems such as A/C, radio, etc... to keep you on the road for as long as possible. Clever.

After correcting my car I decided to throw my charger on to my bike and, even though I have both bikes on Oxford battery tenders/chargers I wanted to see how well the CTEK charger would work.

After an overnight charge it feels like it has improved the battery strength. I won't say it's a night and day difference but the starting feels stronger and possibly starting 1 or 2 cranks quicker!

Now at £70 sobs it's not cheap (and I bought it one day before Black Friday started ffs) which would have saved me a £10er!  :034:  but my overall assessment is that not all chargers are equal. So if you are looking for a charger or looking to upgrade or replace an old charger I can thoroughly recommend this one.

Stevo

Ps. On a side note, if you're not sure of your car batteries age there is usually a stamped manufacturers date mark on the top of the negative terminal. The upper number denotes the week of the year (so 01 - 04 is Jan) etc.. and the lower number is the year (double digits only).

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: This is how I charge!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 11:15:43 PM »
Nice one stevo.

I've a Noco Genius G3500K that has multiple battery charging capabilities including Lithium. It's also great and thoroughly recommended!
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer