Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi all....thinking about buy a Z1000SX  (Read 1236 times)

Offline AndyR

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
Hi all....thinking about buy a Z1000SX
« on: November 20, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »
Hi all,

New member looking for a bit of advice as a older rider returning to two wheels after a good few years. I'm currently in the market for a bike I can use for weekend blasts and longer tours into Europe. I've already looked at BMW's offerings but whilst excellent they are rather expensive. So whilst looking for alternatives I stumbled across the SX. Yesterday I test rode a 50 mile old 2018 bike and found myself questioning its suitability. Having slept on the idea I wonder if I've been a little hasty with my initial verdict.

I found the bike to have a rather snatchy throttle, the bars and pegs a bit too vibie at times and the weather protection was lacking at higher motorway speeds. The seat could also be a bit more comfortable. The more I think about it I'm sure most of these issues could be resolved.

Any thought or advice? I'm struggling to get the beautiful green machine out of my mind (and don't really want to pay almost twice as much for a BMW).

Cheers,

Andy

Offline jupialto

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2015
  • City / Town: Raamsdonksveer
Re: Hi all....thinking about buy a Z1000SX
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 08:58:08 PM »
Well, being a moderate user I can surely recommend the SX. Only thing you will have to improve is the seat, as it wears you out during longer stints.
For the rest: perfect smooth riding!

I'd say : GO!

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 09:01:19 PM »
Hi Andy they truly are, great do it all bikes. The seat can be fixed by after market version, the weather protection via aftermarket screens that are taller.

There are some vibes on my bike but they are barely noticeable and if. You fitted heated Oxford grips they have a thicker grip.

I'm. Surprised by the sbatchy throttle comment, I find mines not snatch enough!

Ignore the stock tyres they are crap

Have you considered asking for an extended test ride?
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline DavidStonework

• SX Member
  • Bike: z1000SX 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
Hi Andy. Lots of similar discussions on here, but nothing like a personalised response. Mine's a 2017 so in theory rides exactly like your 2018.

Bikes are very personal. Some have commented on vibration - I've never found that to be the case. I don't find the throttle snatchy, although if you've not ridden such a powerful bike much it may be the very quick response that you're experiencing. Having ridden similar BMWs before trying and buying an SX I found it far more responsive - maybe that's just a different side of the same coin. I suspect you'd get used to it quickly and love the on-tap power in pretty much any gear at pretty much any speed. I find weather protection the best I've ridden other than the FJR blood bikes. That said, it's a sports tourer not an out-and-out tourer, so more aerodynamic than many in that bracket, and arguably therefore more fun to ride. You're higher than on some competitor bikes which I guess catches the weather a bit more. Some people have replaced screens, and also seats to add comfort. I don't feel the need for either.

It sounds to me like you need to give it another test ride. You're right about the price, it's a remarkable amount of bike for the money. Mine's about a year old. I still find it hard to see what else I would have bought, and have never been dissatisfied.

Enjoy choosing - nice problem to have.

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 09:50:09 PM »
Everything can be accommodated for the individual on this bike, quite easily and cheaply  :028:  :038:

As others have said, I'm VERY surprised to hear about a snatchy throttle response, as that's definitely not normal for this bike!!!!
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline stevepzsx

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2015 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Downpatrick
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 10:17:04 PM »
Hi Andy like you I'm and older rider (58) returning to biking after a 17 year absence.  Quickly realised I was not up to riding a sports bike any longer and bought a 2015 ZX, which I love.  It's the easiest bike to ride I've ever had, great for weekend blasts but I also intend to use it for longer trips if I can.  I haven't found the throttle snatchy, but it seems quite low geared I think and until I got used to it I'd be looking to change up when in 6th already.  Longer term I'll probably fit a more comfortable seat but overall it's a great bike.
Go back for another look and try and get a longer test ride if you can.
Probably some good deals around at this time of year too.
2015 Z1000SX tourer in green, Akro carbon cans, Evotec tail tidy, MRA tinted screen, rim tapes, front and rear fender extenders.
1998 Yamaha Thunderace in blue, completely standard.

Offline trivster

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marazion
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 10:19:17 PM »
Hi Andy

I had exactly the same concerns as you on the first outing.  I went back and tried it again and had a different point of view.  The SX grows on you.  The vibration or buzziness which is typical of an inline four, diminishes markedly with mileage.  My 2018 is now at 4000 miles and there is no buzz whatsoever.  It's a great bike, I can from a Tracer 900 and before that, a 1200 Explorer.

Offline Captain-Failmore

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2017 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 11:38:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by stevepzsx [+]
it seems quite low geared I think and until I got used to it I'd be looking to change up when in 6th already.
I do this literally every time I ride the bike  :745: but having been a 2017 owner for just 1 month ish I am NOT surprised by the snatch throttle remark because I have had that same thought a few times while riding, but as people have said I have concluded that it is just ultimately a combination of the huge torque of the machine, a well built responsive throttle control system and my own lack of finesse. P.S. While I'm sure BMW's parts are not cheap either Kawasaki will no doubt try to make up that difference in price of bikes by selling you headlight units from time to time when a LED bulb blows and maybe some of their reasonably priced plastics. :112: 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:47:55 PM by Captain-Failmore »
YNWA 96

Offline Buster Ray

• SX Pro
  • Buster Ray
  • Bike: z1000sx 2015
  • City / Town: Swinton/S. Yorks
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 07:28:09 AM »
I don't think they are snatchy but can be a bit on/off on fueling on very low power, I think this is because of the Euro 4 compliance which makes them run very lean and turns off the fuel a bit quick on very low demand. A lot of newer bikes ar elie this, teh worst example anecdotally seems to be the Z900RS.
2015 Touring, Red and Black. Custom Seat. Bagster Tank Cover, Puig DB Black Screen, Heated Grips, Telferizer Screen Mount, Evotech Rad Guard. De-Catted, Letxek Headers, Leo Vince Cans, Re-Mapped, Evotech Tail Tidy, Ermax Colour Coded Rear Hugger, R&G boot guards, frame caps, engine covers and crash bungs
Sent from a phone, using my thumbs.

Offline AndyR

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 05:48:49 PM »
Thanks all for your helpful responses. I do think I need to give the bike another go so will see if the dealer is willing to let me have another go (don't think he was to pleased with my negative feedback). I could probably do with with a longer on the bike and may wait until the weather warms up again.

In terms of improving wind protection what do you suggest is the best aftermarket screen?

Still can't get the green beauty out of my mind!

Cheers,

Andy

expletive