Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyre age?  (Read 815 times)

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
Tyre age?
« on: November 08, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »
Hey chaps

I can get a set of 01s front for 98£ and rear for £100. Both are new but the kicker is that the front was manufactured in 2017 and the rear in 2016.

They're both new 2nd hand (i. E. Pre owned but unused) I know it depends on. How they were stored etc but would you be overly concerned to put these on your bike?

I'm. On 1.6k and still ife in my OE tyres so they will sit appropriately in. My. Garage waiting.

On a car tyre I wouldn't be so concerned with those dates but not. Much experience with motorcycle tyres.

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Re: Tyre age?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 06:20:25 PM »
My current Tyres were an evilbay deal. I got them £180 delivered  :028:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • What's a corner?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:22:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
My current Tyres were an evilbay deal. I got them £180 delivered  :028:

Damn, can't find them at that price!

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 07:03:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ninjamaster [+]
Damn, can't find them at that price!

Forget my price, I got lucky. Mine were also second hand, but new  :002:
What I meant was if you're happy with the price, buy them!  :028:

Offline maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 07:56:29 PM »
Hey chaps

I can get a set of 01s front for 98£ and rear for £100. Both are new but the kicker is that the front was manufactured in 2017 and the rear in 2016.

They're both new 2nd hand (i. E. Pre owned but unused) I know it depends on. How they were stored etc but would you be overly concerned to put these on your bike?

I'm. On 1.6k and still ife in my OE tyres so they will sit appropriately in. My. Garage waiting.

On a car tyre I wouldn't be so concerned with those dates but not. Much experience with motorcycle tyres.

A tyres shelf life is supposedly 5 years so personally would have no problem with those.

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • Topic Author
  • What's a corner?
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 09:07:53 PM »
Oh. Well bloody sold!

Damn so annoyed with myself for not pulling the trigger lol

Offline KD

• SX God
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Warminster
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 09:48:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by maccmike [+]
A tyres shelf life is supposedly 5 years so personally would have no problem with those.

:461:  :460:
Regards David.

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 11:48:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by maccmike [+]

*Originally Posted by KD [+]

:461:  :460:

Ditto!  :001:
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 12:40:01 AM »
Oh. Well bloody sold!

Damn so annoyed with myself for not pulling the trigger lol

Never mind,

If it makes you feel better, I would NEVER buy tyres on EvilBay. I only go to trusted shop, buy new and get them fitted while I watch.

I have only ever bought one pair of tyres mail order and that was from a trusted shop but the time spent trying to find someone to fit them wasn't worth the deal.

Tyres are what keep you connected to the road, if you're going to buy premium tyres for maximum protection, get them done properly so they can perform for you as they should!!

Online prices and so forth keep tyres prices down relatively reasonable anyway so tyre shops have to rely on reputation and service to maintain their business. This makes the fitting charges worth the money as you know you should be getting the right service by someone who knows what their doing. find a dealer that's reasonably priced and good reputation that you trust and you'll find they will look after you too.

I now go to the same tyre shop for Chain and break pads, I've also got a good deal when taking the wife's car there too.

you're not that far from me Ninja, If you ever find yourself this side of the crossing then Watling tyres, Swanley is where I go. Or Universal Tyres in Dartford are owned by the same people, but I've never been.

Each to their own and this is my opinion only, but I think there's just some things you shouldn't take a risk on.

If their sold on EvilBay, it's for a reason...that's the way I look at it  :827:
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 06:41:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
Never mind,

If it makes you feel better, I would NEVER buy tyres on EvilBay. I only go to trusted shop, buy new and get them fitted while I watch.

I have only ever bought one pair of tyres mail order and that was from a trusted shop but the time spent trying to find someone to fit them wasn't worth the deal.

If their sold on EvilBay, it's for a reason...that's the way I look at it  :827:

:431: but I couldn't agree less!
I only buy tyres online and have had a few from evilbay, including the brand new set I'm on right now, bought off a guy who sold his R1 as his wife is pregnant and now forbids riding. They have replaced the rear that was new and a part worn from ebay that I got 8K from!  :oh_no:  :038:

Whatever makes you feel comfiest is fine, but there are deals to be had elsewhere!!!