Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Error code 12 - air pressure sensor fault  (Read 878 times)

Offline skelton1100

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
Error code 12 - air pressure sensor fault
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:36:46 AM »
This might be useful if others experience the same.......or maybe I was just unlucky; no-one else seems to have had this issue.
Riding back from Cornwall to Twickenham in the summer, in the middle of the journey the fuelling felt wrong; like a misfire / fuel starvation that was intermittent. When I stopped for fuel the bike would start then stall, dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree. Managed to coax it back to Twickenham with lots of revs and a complete lack of mechanical sympathy.
Well done to Kawasaki to let you see your own error codes without needing a laptop and software - "12" on the dash means an issue with the #1 mass air flow pressure sensor. Great. Six months after the warranty expired, this happens. The part is £167 from Kawasaki, $22 shipped for a secondhand one from a breakers in Florida. Guess which one I chose?
Fitting this sensor solved the issue. I did the plugs (not sure why?!) and the coolant while I was there.
Moral of the story - if you're mechanically competent - don't be scared to have a go at a job like this yourself. Turns out pretty straightforward to get the fairings, tank and airbox off and back on. Changing the sensor is easy. Have patience, a workshop manual and lots of tea.

Offline trivster

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marazion
Re: Error code 12 - air pressure sensor fault
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 01:16:47 PM »
did you ask Kawasaki if they'd honour a replacement sensor? Six months out of warranty is not long and if you'd had your servicing done by them then they should have covered it.

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 04:37:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by skelton1100 [+]
This might be useful if others experience the same.......or maybe I was just unlucky; no-one else seems to have had this issue.
Riding back from Cornwall to Twickenham in the summer, in the middle of the journey the fuelling felt wrong; like a misfire / fuel starvation that was intermittent. When I stopped for fuel the bike would start then stall, dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree. Managed to coax it back to Twickenham with lots of revs and a complete lack of mechanical sympathy.
Well done to Kawasaki to let you see your own error codes without needing a laptop and software - "12" on the dash means an issue with the #1 mass air flow pressure sensor. Great. Six months after the warranty expired, this happens. The part is £167 from Kawasaki, $22 shipped for a secondhand one from a breakers in Florida. Guess which one I chose?
Fitting this sensor solved the issue. I did the plugs (not sure why?!) and the coolant while I was there.
Moral of the story - if you're mechanically competent - don't be scared to have a go at a job like this yourself. Turns out pretty straightforward to get the fairings, tank and airbox off and back on. Changing the sensor is easy. Have patience, a workshop manual and lots of tea.

:460:  :828:
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline skelton1100

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 12:25:55 PM »
Update.......all has been fine for about 500 miles since the last episode. But - I was out at the weekend and felt the fuelling was "out" again after a long run then being in London traffic; pulling the clutch in caused a stall rather than returning to idle. Subsequently cleared itself. No error code registered but I can tell something was amiss before it cleared itself.

With a trip to the TT due on Wednesday week, then a c1800 mile North Coast 500 trip coming up in August, I'm not filled with confidence. Love this bike but it's being slightly ruined by this gremlin.

Anyone got a Kawasaki 57001-1700 harness adaptor they can lend me? Need one of these to check the input and output voltage from the sensor itself. Any discrepancy would mean a harness / ECU issue. Deep joy.

Offline skelton1100

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 02:07:35 PM »
a further update........

On the Saturday before the TT trip, a trip to Boxhill revealed the issue had started again, less serious so got home OK, but error core 12 showing again.

So, tank and airbox off again, managed to check the input voltage to the sensor without the wiring adapter that the manual says you need - 5v exactly, so all OK. I checked the wiring and earths back to the ECU as best I could, found no issues.

I cleaned the air filter (clutching at straws but if you Google "MAF sensor contamination" you'll see why), re-assembled with yet another sensor (I had a new one via the wonders of the internet - available via Aliexpress from China, an identical part to the one Kawasaki would supply for $14 including shipping - just Google part number 21176-0111).

I did 800 miles on the TT trip, no problems. Hopefully no further updates required. We'll see.