Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Error code 12 - air pressure sensor fault  (Read 428 times)

Offline skelton1100

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
Error code 12 - air pressure sensor fault
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:36:46 AM »
This might be useful if others experience the same.......or maybe I was just unlucky; no-one else seems to have had this issue.
Riding back from Cornwall to Twickenham in the summer, in the middle of the journey the fuelling felt wrong; like a misfire / fuel starvation that was intermittent. When I stopped for fuel the bike would start then stall, dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree. Managed to coax it back to Twickenham with lots of revs and a complete lack of mechanical sympathy.
Well done to Kawasaki to let you see your own error codes without needing a laptop and software - "12" on the dash means an issue with the #1 mass air flow pressure sensor. Great. Six months after the warranty expired, this happens. The part is £167 from Kawasaki, $22 shipped for a secondhand one from a breakers in Florida. Guess which one I chose?
Fitting this sensor solved the issue. I did the plugs (not sure why?!) and the coolant while I was there.
Moral of the story - if you're mechanically competent - don't be scared to have a go at a job like this yourself. Turns out pretty straightforward to get the fairings, tank and airbox off and back on. Changing the sensor is easy. Have patience, a workshop manual and lots of tea.

Offline trivster

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marazion
Re: Error code 12 - air pressure sensor fault
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 01:16:47 PM »
did you ask Kawasaki if they'd honour a replacement sensor? Six months out of warranty is not long and if you'd had your servicing done by them then they should have covered it.

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: Error code 12 - air pressure sensor fault
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 04:37:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by skelton1100 [+]
This might be useful if others experience the same.......or maybe I was just unlucky; no-one else seems to have had this issue.
Riding back from Cornwall to Twickenham in the summer, in the middle of the journey the fuelling felt wrong; like a misfire / fuel starvation that was intermittent. When I stopped for fuel the bike would start then stall, dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree. Managed to coax it back to Twickenham with lots of revs and a complete lack of mechanical sympathy.
Well done to Kawasaki to let you see your own error codes without needing a laptop and software - "12" on the dash means an issue with the #1 mass air flow pressure sensor. Great. Six months after the warranty expired, this happens. The part is £167 from Kawasaki, $22 shipped for a secondhand one from a breakers in Florida. Guess which one I chose?
Fitting this sensor solved the issue. I did the plugs (not sure why?!) and the coolant while I was there.
Moral of the story - if you're mechanically competent - don't be scared to have a go at a job like this yourself. Turns out pretty straightforward to get the fairings, tank and airbox off and back on. Changing the sensor is easy. Have patience, a workshop manual and lots of tea.

:460:  :828:
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer