Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Consumption  (Read 979 times)

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
Re: Fuel Consumption
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »
I'm doing mostly town riding and getting about 41 to 42mpg.

Did about 120 miles spirited riding on A and B roads during, firebike recently and got. 52mpg,

Offline Swansea Jack

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX(2018)
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 11:10:35 PM »
Trouble with keeping an eye on mpg is usually it means trying to improve on the previous tankful. With me it would reduce my riding pleasure. I tend to ride the way I enjoy most and the money I spend on fuel is what it is. But then I don't commute and just ride for pleasure. If I want to spend less, I ride in my usual style but don't go so far! Riding is sport to me (I'm retired) so going easy on the throttle is rarely on my to do list. I've never got more that about 40mpg in my petrol vehicles although my new diesel 4x4 seems to get more even when pushed. Make the most of the pleasures of fossil fuel power, guys - electric nightmares are not far away! :005:

Offline ed

• SX Pro
  • Bike: '17 perf tourer
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 12:10:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Swansea Jack [+]
Trouble with keeping an eye on mpg is usually it means trying to improve on the previous tankful. With me it would reduce my riding pleasure. I tend to ride the way I enjoy most and the money I spend on fuel is what it is. But then I don't commute and just ride for pleasure. If I want to spend less, I ride in my usual style but don't go so far! Riding is sport to me (I'm retired) so going easy on the throttle is rarely on my to do list. I've never got more that about 40mpg in my petrol vehicles although my new diesel 4x4 seems to get more even when pushed. Make the most of the pleasures of fossil fuel power, guys - electric nightmares are not far away! :005:
Good points and great reminder why we chose to ride a Z1000SX rather than drive a Toyota Prius or Nissan Leaf. The petrol exists, let's give it a good send off by using our great motorcycles to burn it for the purpose of enjoyment!

Offline Fair Weather

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Tenbury Wells
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input, I'm retired so I just ride for pleasure, but will be happy with 45mpg.
If it looks to good to be true, buy it.

Offline sanda5506

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Walsall
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »
There are so many variables in this subject. I personally have seen everything from 38-55mpg

Offline Fair Weather

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Tenbury Wells
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 01:52:53 PM »
Has anybody tried a bigger engine sprocket to see if consumption is improved.
Is it even possible to fit a bigger one? is there room?
If it looks to good to be true, buy it.

Offline maccmike

• SX God
  • 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 02:45:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fair Weather [+]
Has anybody tried a bigger engine sprocket to see if consumption is improved.
Is it even possible to fit a bigger one? is there room?

This was one of the most popular mods to earlier SXs, 16 tooth being the most common. Seems the 2017 on bikes don't take kindly to it though, but dropping the rear appears to be OK. Jury is out on it's effect on fuel consumption, some have noted an improvement and others not.

Offline unclefester

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Knebworth
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 05:22:35 PM »
If you want better consumption, use the torque and keep the revs down / be smooth on and off the power.

It'll be cheaper and more effective than changing stuff.

Offline Swansea Jack

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX(2018)
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 10:55:39 PM »
If you want better consumption, 650's won't disappoint  :038: Thous are more about the ride methinks. Arm wrenching thrust and smiles the size of  :001: come at a price. I think that's why many of us have an SX. :007: Unless of course you like to tour two up.  Can't imagine I'll be riding mine gently, often.  :164: Still, if you plan to save a few pennies, the throttle is the key!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:07:15 PM by Swansea Jack »

expletive