Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Just wanted to say hello  (Read 733 times)

Offline Texen

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: SX Tourer Green
Just wanted to say hello
« on: October 12, 2018, 02:41:33 PM »
Hello everybody, I'm Tex. Just put a deposit down on a 2018 Tourer in green so I wanted to say hello to my new family here on the forum.
I haven't taken delivery yet - it should arrive by next weekend hopefully so I'm excited for the new bike, but sad to say goodbye to my ol' girl (see below). Have had her for about 7 years and she's done me proud but I cant wait to get out there and tour on the SX

The SX I've bought has the usual tourer package plus fairing protectors and heated grips, but does anyone else feel there's anything essential that needs to be added? Thanks

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Re: Just wanted to say hello
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 02:55:30 PM »
 :401: to the forum and your pending SX  :031:

Tourers are not my thing, but that's a cool pic  :028:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 03:22:37 PM »
 :401: to the forum Tex, if fairing protectors include tank pad and knee pads then no need to worry about getting those to save wearing the paint down or getting scratches on the tank.

I'd 100% recommend a rad guard !! (Why they don't come factory fitted i have no idea) to be extra cautious a fender extender for the front mud guard too. (the cost of a rad that been punctured by a thrown stone is ridiculous and can leave you stranded and without a bike for a while)

If your touring id also recommend a 12v charger / USB charger, there is already a spare power source tucked in the wiring loom on the left hand front fairing for this. This is in addition to the power source for heated grips in the same location, both are fused with fuse ways in the stock fuse box and fully marked up.  DON'T buy the  Kawasaki one, save a fortune and get one from fleabay / amazon , I have a dual 2.1a 5v USB outlet with integrated volt meter which cost £12 from amazon. Fitting is simple enough.

Essential or not is your choice but the stock screen isn't great, many have opted for a puig screen as a replacement and it makes a real difference on air flow.

Headlight guards may be useful, a thrown stone at the headlight unit will be costly if it gets damaged, the headlight guards from powerbronze are a good fit and not costly (you can also get a discount through this forum.

Take a look through John Longs youtube channel, he has lots of good how too's including removing fairings
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEHm28TAVN2nSc6biq4-eV_NXzDM60xsc

There is plenty of info in this forum, including PDF documents on most common torque settings and service schedule charts, after marked cans and tyre choice polls.

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 05:17:33 PM »
Welcome. Lots of info on the forum.

I would recommend you get a rad guard front fender extender and USB outlet.

Follow. John. Longs video about the USB socket it's what I did don't pay kawi 80 quid plus fitting for. Something that you. Can do in 5 mins. For. A. Tenner!

I got a. Power bronze screen but more for aesthetics many. Like the puig one.

NB of you fit similar lights to your SX I would be interested in a link to what product you used, always wanted a disco bike  :031:

2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline NoddyNinja

• SX Master
  • Bike: Aprilia Tuono V4
  • City / Town: Rossendale
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 07:57:06 PM »
 :401: +1 to mods suggested already
Enjoying the V4 "ROAR"

Offline Texen

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 09:39:54 PM »
 :828: for the advice everyone. I will defo look into getting a rad guard. LED wise - yeah I probably will do some subtle green glow effects at some point because I always go to the Honda Goldwing light parades with my folks (dad has a Wing, mum has a Spyder) and they're always good fun.

Online sooty66

• SX Master
  • Bike: z1000sx 2018
  • City / Town: knaresborough
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 08:14:52 AM »
 :401:  :031: +1 with the mods suggested,just fitted R&g headlight protectors which are an excellent fit,if a little pricey,but at a fiver under a grand to replace the headlight,they’re quite reasonable !!
Once you've had black,you'll never look back

Offline Texen

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 11:49:02 AM »
Took delivery yesterday, very happy with the new ol' girl.

However Hunts (Manchester) did ring me in the morning to explain that it has a paint chip and a few scratches on the tank so they've ordered the fancy green Kawasaki paint and they'll collect the bike off me in a couple of weeks to get it re-sprayed. Pretty decent service from Hunts to be fair.

I'll get on the case of a radiator guard sometime over the winter. Probably also get a downpipe grill too.

Tell you what though, I really struggled yesterday to get the revs any higher than 5k when I went out for a ride. It just seemed to be desperate for me to change gear. Is this just the way these bikes are or do you think it's because it's still kinda new (only 1150 miles)?

Offline Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 12:11:35 PM »
It's probably down to not knowing the bike, the engine characteristics and still being very familiar with your previous bike and how it ran.

I came from a V twin and a  tripple, I'd been riding the v twin for a few years and due to the characteristics of that engine it never really went above 6k rev, but the SX has a "buzzier" engine and revs higher. It will feel strange at first but you will soon become acustomed to the nature of this engine and the higher revs that it is happy to be at. It can really kick in and 6k+ revs and had a nice little scream to it (something you may not be used to from your previous bike)
When it's fully bed in have some fun and just let it rev right up before changing gear you will notice the difference.

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 06:05:49 PM »
Looking good! Like the boots btw

You'll get used to it, the kick around 6 to7k is true so be careful if not used to it, surprised me the first 1 or 2 times,. I got to 7k and it just took off lol a bit Vtech-ish

They're awesome bikes.
2017 ninja 650 SOLD