Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Which bike after ER5  (Read 821 times)

Offline Teaboy

• SX Member
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
Re: Which bike after ER5
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 07:19:45 PM »
Z1000SX worth the extra money l doubt you will find a similar age/mileage 900 Tracer or Crossdresser for less money than an SX
I’m sure you will get on fine with an SX very forgiving easy ride but great fun, panniers with no naff scaffolding frames ideal for some touring. Don’t know where you are in Lincolnshire but can recommend Robspeed in Grimsby for a good deal and good service

Offline Firefly

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 06:57:24 PM »
I’ve heard that place is good, however I popped into Wheels Peterborough and they seem really genuine. I’ve also heard there’s a good place near Ipswich? Chris Walker is a great person but apparently you don’t get such a good deal???

However, I’ll give them all a chance next spring when I’m ready to buy

Offline ronbug

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2018
  • City / Town: GIVATAIM
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 08:19:47 PM »
i agree i left my 700 tracer, i  commute on a daily basis my SX 126km a day
a great fun and comfort
Ron

Offline DavidStonework

• SX Member
  • Bike: z1000SX 2017
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »
Crossrunner is awful in my opinion. Lazy engine, uncomfortable.

Test rode tracer 900, liked it quite a bit I thought. Then got on the SX. No contest. Tracer is a crude toy compared to SX.

My commute is 40 minutes or so on every flavour of road except motorway. Can't see me ever wanting to change from this superb machine (except to upgrade to a newer model one day!)

But - no bike suits everyone. Test ride one yourself. I reckon you'll buy.

Offline Firefly

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 10:19:45 PM »
Is the 2017-18 model significant better than the 2015?

Offline Swansea Jack

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX(2018)
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 11:35:55 PM »
When we move up from a 125cc to our first 'big bike', it's often a 600. Blows us away for a while then, as you say we outgrow it. Up to a 1000cc now the roads can only take so much power so you are unlikely to reach a ceiling. However bhp comes into play. The SX boasts an extra 25 over the Tracer. This is what gives it the edge. I had a GSX1250 for a while but top end was poor - it was a bit breathless at speed. The SX just keeps going. I had a Hayabusa before the SX - silly high power but much of it unusable on the roads. The SX is pretty much an optimum road bike in my view. I doubt many of us could ever outgrow it. The torque is more or less 'all you need' too. The only other contender might be the GSXS1000F but it is a bit small. The Tracer is useful if you are tall but as pointed out, the SX
is more bike. Some will say you don't need a thou....well a lot of the time that's true but get in fast traffic, be forced to overtake quick or just keep up with your mates, you would not want anything less than a Z1000SX once you have one.  :038:

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 11:55:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Firefly [+]

Short answer for me is yes. The led lights, dash and the looks overall being favors for me.

Offline Mr NSB

• SX Pro
  • Bike: Z1000SX WJF
  • City / Town: Andover
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 10:31:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Firefly [+]
*Originally Posted by Ninjamaster [+]
Short answer for me is yes. The led lights, dash and the looks overall being favors for me.

A yes from me also. Just the looks alone swung it for me. I thought the previous models had a odd looking nose. The LED's are a great upgrade in my opinion.

Online Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 11:33:11 AM »
Again, if you ride at night the led lights are a huge bonus, I wasn't keen on the stick out indicators on pre 17 bikes which put me off and the rounded nose wasn't to my taste either. Imo you get a lot more for your money with a 17+ bike there were a few upgrades. (taller stock screen, built in gear indicator, gear change indicator, wider seat, 20mm wider mirrors, slightly wider body for more wind deflection & cornering abs, six-axis IMU  providing cornering ABS and lean-sensitive traction control.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 11:49:03 AM by Scotty001 »

Offline DavidStonework

• SX Member
  • Bike: z1000SX 2017
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 09:45:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Scotty001 [+]
Again, if you ride at night the led lights are a huge bonus, I wasn't keen on the stick out indicators on pre 17 bikes which put me off and the rounded nose wasn't to my taste either. Imo you get a lot more for your money with a 17+ bike there were a few upgrades. (taller stock screen, built in gear indicator, gear change indicator, wider seat, 20mm wider mirrors, slightly wider body for more wind deflection & cornering abs, six-axis IMU  providing cornering ABS and lean-sensitive traction control.

Yes to all that. Particularly the lights which are the best road night lights I'm aware of. I ride country lanes and lit roads on my way home in the dark frequently, full beam lights the whole area, dipped is still very strong. Weather protection/wind deflection is brilliant. I reckon I am degrees warmer in the winter on this bike than on my previous V Strom (and the horrible GSX 750 I had for a short while) due to the amount of bike in front of me. Gear indicator if you like that sort of thing, gear change indicator is an irrelevance to anyone who knows vaguely what they're doing, surely. Mirrors are good, decent vision but not barn doors and easily flipped in to squeeze between the bus and the skip lorry that don't want to let you to the front of the lights. Looks sharp, rides sharp, even more so post-17 if you can afford it.