Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Roadtec 01 Vs PR5  (Read 2313 times)

Offline sanda5506

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Walsall
Roadtec 01 Vs PR5
« on: September 23, 2018, 09:39:25 AM »
Has anyone used both the PR5 and the Roadtec 01 that can give their direct opinion on which is best. Changing my tyres on Monday morning from stock and stuck between them both, I appreciate that either tyre will be an improvement

Offline Gothrick

• SX Junior
Re: Roadtec 01 Vs PR5
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 07:18:46 PM »
Can't give you any direct feedback but Ride magazine did a group tyre test earlier this year using a Z1000 SX as test mule and they scored the Roadtec 01's best overall, slightly ahead of the PR5's. Certainly influenced my decision to buy the Metzelers and would highly recommend them. Have a look on the inter web the article might be available on their website.

Offline sanda5506

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 08:02:21 PM »
Yeah I saw it mate. I always take their stuff with a pinch of salt though and prefer the opinion of fellow riders if I'm honest. However saying that either tyre will be great compared to the stock rubber so I'm sure whatever way I choose to go I will be happy. There seems to be alot of love for both across the forums

Offline Dutchie

• SX Junior
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 06:20:33 AM »
Hello,
Had the Roadtec on my sx,  I would suggest to take a look at the Continental Road Attack 3 (55 hight).
Feels much more confident,  no tipping point as the Roadtec 01.

Cheers
Rene

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 06:57:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dutchie [+]
Hello,
Had the Roadtec on my sx,  I would suggest to take a look at the Continental Road Attack 3 (55 hight).

Cheers
Rene

Tipping point  :187: what are you talking about  :027:
I'm close to the end of my second set of 01s and have a third ready to roll, this time with a 55 to try. They are very well balanced tyres and perform well in all conditions, including on track. Depending on how you ride you can expect closer to 8K from a rear and 10k on the front  :028:

I will try the 5s after my next set, but these have been and are my current go to tyre....
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline sanda5506

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 08:45:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dutchie [+]
Hello,

Cheers
Rene
Thanks for your opinion but unfortunately as a year round commuter in the UK I need a good all year tyre. The road attack are a good dry weather tyre but not anywhere near good enough in the wet. The 01 and pr5 will kick there ass every day of the week. Cheers anyway

Offline sanda5506

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 09:14:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
Tipping point  :187: what are you talking about  :027:
I'm close to the end of my second set of 01s and have a third ready to roll, this time with a 55 to try. They are very well balanced tyres and perform well in all conditions, including on track. Depending on how you ride you can expect closer to 8K from a rear and 10k on the front  :028:

I will try the 5s after my next set, but these have been and are my current go to tyre....
MDR if you're so happy with the 01 what's making you want to change to the PR5 ? And why the change of profile ? Do you not think changing to a 55 profile may make the bike feel a little skittish on the normal UK roads. I can see the benefit for on the track

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 10:05:28 AM »
My friend has now fitted a second set of the 5's to his Blackbird after getting 11.5K from a pair :087: that's impressive from a big, heavy and powerful bike. I ride all year and the extra possible 3 months from a tyre is enticing! I also think it's good to try something new so you know one way or the other if they work for you!

Having ridden the 3's on my ER, I went for the 4's on my SX (2 pairs) based on the comments from this forum's members; I won't go there again! Great in the cold and wet, so good for our UK Autumn and winter, but (for me) horrible in hot weather and bloody dangerous on track. I would have hated them for the summer we just had!  :004:

Angel GT's are great. Good in all temps & conditions and especially on the track. I also got good longevity from them. 10K from the pair with even wear front/rear  :028:

The 01's just clicked for me and I really like them FOR EVERYTHING! I want to try the 55 on the rear with my new Wilbers shock, as the back end is so good/planted now I'm actually able to push the front in longer radius corners; I'm thinking the 55 will give me a little bit more weight on the front end by raising her ass a few mm and maybe save me having to re-spring the front end  :027:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:07:00 AM by mdr1970 »
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline sanda5506

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 11:29:58 AM »
The angel GT and at have been my last 4 sets of tyres over 2 bikes and have to agree they are amazing. Not heard many people speak about them on the SX though. I must admit I'm leaning towards the 01 myself, so far I have found the stock suspension fine with a little added preload on the rear however once I've had the tyres changed I'm off to have it properly set up

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 09:24:31 PM »
Nothing to add just subscribing as Ive narrowed to the same 2 choices once my OE Bridgestones are done.