Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Wheel Eccentric Adjusters  (Read 652 times)

Offline Looey

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
Rear Wheel Eccentric Adjusters
« on: September 08, 2018, 04:57:31 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the chain can be adjusted with the eccentric adjusters in the lower position instead of the usual upper position to alter the ride height ?. And if so, has anyone done it ?.

I have another bike with eccentric adjusters that I can do just that.

Cheers

Online mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Re: Rear Wheel Eccentric Adjusters
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 07:45:47 PM »
My friend keeps talking about that all the time to put more weight on the front end. I can't see why not once you open it up, it's not welded in there!
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline TedtheZed

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Alton
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 07:57:34 PM »
Always the first thing to do on the old monoshocked GPz’s. Can’t see why the SX’s should be any different

Offline Looey

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 09:11:00 PM »
On mine you just loosen the clamps like you would when adjusting the chain and simply spin the adjusters around to the lower position (obviously in the direction that slackens the chain).

I haven't picked my Z1000SX up yet, so can't try it.

Guess it depends if the brake and torque arm setup allows it ?

Offline rc250yz

• SX Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 11:12:46 PM »
The old GPZ's had an advantage in this area. Their eccentrics were smaller diameter.

What I found, on my bike, is when you tried to do this, the top of the chain drags on the top of the swingarm.  Its not something I would want to do, long term.  It looks like it will tear that upper guard up, in no time, and its a dramatic change.

Especially when you can get an adjustable , rear dogbone and have a very easy, and accurate way to adjust rear ride height.

Offline Looey

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 08:47:53 AM »
Nice one,

Good to know someone has actually tried it and knows for sure.

My 2015 model I think is slightly higher at the rear than the 2017 model onwards (and in my opinion looks too low, almost Pan European like) ?.

Cheers

Offline TedtheZed

• SX Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 10:09:04 AM »
I believe you are correct, there was a revised linkage on the 2017 model which made it sit a bit lower. But saying it looks Pan European is just unnecessarily unpleasant, now where are my duelling pistols ?

Offline Looey

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 02:04:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by TedtheZed [+]
I believe you are correct, there was a revised linkage on the 2017 model which made it sit a bit lower. But saying it looks Pan European is just unnecessarily unpleasant, now where are my duelling pistols ?

Ha ha, yes put your pistols down, I just meant as a reference to the stance at the rear of the later model bikes lol.

I went to the Manx TT a few weeks ago and there were SX's everywhere. I kept seeing them and thinking, blimey, the rear of that one looks low !!. Now I have done a bit of research, it makes sense now, they were all 17/18 bikes that looked low at the rear.

Offline TedtheZed

• SX Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 03:30:10 PM »
I know what you mean, my 2012 model had a better look than my 2018. It is on my list of things to improve, may go with new shock with ride height adjustment.

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 10:00:23 PM »
Even if the chain/swingarm geometry allowed this, the difference is going to be about 3 inches which must be excessive.

I currently have both a 2011 and 2017 bike and (without measuring) I would swear that the ride height is the same.  The seat on the 2017 is lower though.   But I think that is due to the seat being different, and not due to any change in ride height.
2011 Z1000SX, in GREEN, owned since September 2011.  50,000 miles, MCT tweaked front suspension, Maxton Rear shock, heated grips, MRA dark sport screen, PDoiler, Scorpion Serket Exhausts.

expletive