Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stiff chain link  (Read 606 times)

Offline madmic

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2016
Stiff chain link
« on: August 31, 2018, 12:58:23 PM »
Noticed a clicking feel through my pegs when moving, mainly when the clutch was pulled in or bike in neutral. Guessed it was a link on the chain - my fault, been a bit lax in the cleaning over the hot weather. Found one link was starting to cease. Managed to loosen it up nicely with a truck load of WD40 and allowing it to bathe in there for a bit, a lot of wiggling and some considerable swearing!

Cleaned the chain with chain cleaner, dried and went to town with the lube spray.. Question is, is the chain toast now? With O/X rings, once they start to cease the grease inside the link is shot and it's only a matter of time?

Options, new chain or remove and replace just this link? (Both seem like a good excuse to invest in a chain link tool :001:   mmmm tools)

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
Re: Stiff chain link
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 02:11:17 PM »
Had the same problem on my 2017 ninja 650 but multiple links despite meticulous weekly clean and bi weekly lube.

Freed but eventual had to change chain and sprockets. The that clicky and crunchy feeling is so irritating. This time round invested in a scottoiler which had taken allot of the hassle out of chain maintenence.
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline Konrad

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2015, Green
  • City / Town: SW London
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 02:34:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ninjamaster [+]
weekly clean and bi weekly lube
swap it round next time and it will extend life of your drive-train significantly  :745:

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 02:43:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Konrad [+]
swap it round next time and it will extend life of your drive-train significantly  :745:

:745: can never have enough lube my friend
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline madmic

• SX Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX 2016
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »
Anyone remember a terrible film "Evolution"

... there's always time for lubrication!

As it's (currently) just one, if it starts to cease again is there anything wrong with replacing this one link out?

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 08:03:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by madmic [+]
Anyone remember a terrible film "Evolution"

... there's always time for lubrication!

As it's (currently) just one, if it starts to cease again is there anything wrong with replacing this one link out?

If Im being honest I don't really know. My intuition says no. If the link has become stiff the grease has likely gone and oring failed. Just be a matter of time before it sizes again. When mine sized I was told there is a risk of a snapped chain.

Maybe run it and see and then treat your self to a nice gold chain and scottoiler? Plus or minus sprockets.

2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline trivster

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marazion
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 08:16:15 PM »
You are right in your assumption that once the seal starts to leak and let in moisture it will quickly start to wear.  It's not worth the risk of a snapped chain.  I had a chain snap on a XZR750 back in 1992 (when chains weren't as good as they are now) and the lash from the chain tore most of the left hand side of the engine casings off to include the sprocket casing, the magneto and it's cover and tore a hole in the fairing.  This was still the preferred option of tangling itself around the rear wheel and swing arm.  Get a new chain and sprocket set ASAP.

expletive