Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: hard to get in gears  (Read 4450 times)

Offline unclefester

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Knebworth
Re: hard to get in gears
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 05:13:09 PM »
As a relatively new owner ... and these may or not be relevant ( or even correct! ).

1. Mine shifts noticeably better when i'm using more of the power / revs.
2. Much better if you match revs to gear and you don't have to pull the clutch all the way in.
3. Because the engine revs quite quickly it's easy ( if you've been used to an agricultural twin ) to let the revs fall off too far between gears if you are a slow shifter.
4. Check your adjustment is correct on the gear lever ( mine was way out for me).
5. Check your chain isn't too tight or slack.

Offline Tudor Rebel

• SX Master
  • Tudor Rebel
  • Bike: 2017 NCC-1701
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 05:27:16 PM »
Personally I find the gearbox pretty decent tbh, very little pressure to change gear, and not slipped one yet.

I would worry if it’s getting harder, and it would bother me what the dealer said as it sounds like the typical, fob off reply.
KawaGreenSexy Goddess

Offline reg9482

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 06:11:16 PM »
thanks for all your replies fellas, i've booked it in at my local kawasaki dealer next wednesday afternoon who are going to take it out on the road for a test. will update you with the outcome asap, cheers.

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 06:18:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by unclefester [+]
As a relatively new owner ... and these may or not be relevant ( or even correct! ).

1. Mine shifts noticeably better when i'm using more of the power / revs.
2. Much better if you match revs to gear and you don't have to pull the clutch all the way in.
3. Because the engine revs quite quickly it's easy ( if you've been used to an agricultural twin ) to let the revs fall off too far between gears if you are a slow shifter.
4. Check your adjustment is correct on the gear lever ( mine was way out for me).
5. Check your chain isn't too tight or slack.

I found this too! I find i shift better in full power mode too. I also still struggle rev matchimg compared to my. Parallel twin ninja 650. I could be so much lazier in my shifting and rev matching on the 650 where as on the SX I have do it all quickly and more precisely.
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline goggy

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2017 sx
  • City / Town: carnforth
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 07:42:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by reg9482 [+]
ok, thanks for your input. seems it will be a good idea to take it back to the dealer and get them to investigate further, cheers.
*Originally Posted by Rocky the Dog [+]
Your dealer is talking bollox.  The SX has a very smooth and positive gearbox and provided the gear lever is in the correct position it should shift smoothly through the range - there can be a bit of a clunk between 1st and 2nd but that's normal on most boxes.  If its stiff or not positive sounds like something is adrift but if you can ride another as a comparison that would be a good way to double check. However from your description it does not sound right and no the SX is not known for sticky gearboxes - that has not been a trend on this Forum in the 4 years I have used it.

Rgds Steve
hi ive just bought my 2017 2600 miles and ive done 600miles struggling to get 4th...5th and 6th not quite as bad gear box made a horrific sound then stopped ...anyone any ideas ...thanks goggy

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 07:53:10 PM »
Sounds like you missed a gear by not shifting positively enough. Adjust the lever so you get your foot and ankle correctly aligned for good changes  :028:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline goggy

• SX Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 07:59:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by mdr1970 [+]
Sounds like you missed a gear by not shifting positively enough. Adjust the lever so you get your foot and ankle correctly aligned for good changes  :028:
stupid question but ive just got new boots could that be related to the lever ??

Online Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 08:06:21 PM »
Goggy, yes it could be the reason, if they are fatter or thinner than your previous boots, there will be a difference in tollerence and further movement would be needed in thw foot. Muscle memory plays a factor  in this (same reason you need to get use to a different biting point on the clutch between different bikes and cars

Offline goggy

• SX Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 08:10:06 PM »
Thanks for your help go back to the old boots for a trial 

Offline keithzx

• SX Master
  • Bike: z 1000 sx tourer
  • City / Town: south shields
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 08:32:20 PM »
 it is a simple fix to adjust the position of your gear lever so it is comfortable and easy to shift up and  , down try adjusting it so it is in  best position  for you... any one having gear  changing issues  and the bike is under warranty get it back into the dealers before your warranty runs out , if you get no joy take it to another dealer for a second opinion. 

expletive