Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: hard to get in gears  (Read 4448 times)

Offline reg9482

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
hard to get in gears
« on: August 29, 2018, 08:17:06 PM »
hi all, i would apreciate anyones advice with an issue i have with my bike. i bought it brand new in late 2016. i took it in for its first service at 600 miles and told them i was finding it hard to go up through the gears. there was no gentle click to let me me know it had changed gear. in fact i was having to use considerable pressure and even then it would not always change.
the dealer told me it was probably because it was new and that they are "known for it ".
well i have now done more than 3000 miles and the problem is no better. it generally gets harder the longer i ride it .
i have 2 months left on the warranty but i would a forums member opinion before i take it back in for its next service.
many thanks in advance :148:

Offline jupialto

• SX Member
  • Bike: Z1000sx 2015
  • City / Town: Raamsdonksveer
Re: hard to get in gears
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 08:40:24 PM »
I wonder if this is a common issue,  'cause my gearbox works perfectly while shifting-up without  the clutch. Works smoothly! Gear doesn't even end up in-between, so….no problemo!

Offline reg9482

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:13:48 PM »
ok, thanks for your input. seems it will be a good idea to take it back to the dealer and get them to investigate further, cheers.

Online Scotty001

• SX Master
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 09:33:38 PM »
Have you tried adjusting the position of the gear lever? Every bike I've rode (in standard setup or someone else's setup) 1st and second are easy to shift into, but everything else I can't find the gear easily and I'm needing to lift my foot to get it to change. The issue for me is "me" I need to lower the lever down (by using the asjuster rod) once I've set it up for me, every gear change is sweet. The gear lever is just like every other part (brake / clutch lever, suspension, clutch bite point, mirrors ...... You need to adjust them to you so it works well. It may be the simplest of things to try but it may just be what's needed

Offline Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Bike: XR34 and TZ350
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 07:23:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by reg9482 [+]
hi all, i would apreciate anyones advice with an issue i have with my bike. i bought it brand new in late 2016. i took it in for its first service at 600 miles and told them i was finding it hard to go up through the gears. there was no gentle click to let me me know it had changed gear. in fact i was having to use considerable pressure and even then it would not always change.
the dealer told me it was probably because it was new and that they are "known for it ".
well i have now done more than 3000 miles and the problem is no better. it generally gets harder the longer i ride it .
i have 2 months left on the warranty but i would a forums member opinion before i take it back in for its next service.
many thanks in advance :148:
Your dealer is talking bollox.  The SX has a very smooth and positive gearbox and provided the gear lever is in the correct position it should shift smoothly through the range - there can be a bit of a clunk between 1st and 2nd but that's normal on most boxes.  If its stiff or not positive sounds like something is adrift but if you can ride another as a comparison that would be a good way to double check. However from your description it does not sound right and no the SX is not known for sticky gearboxes - that has not been a trend on this Forum in the 4 years I have used it.

Rgds Steve
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:25:56 AM by Rocky the Dog »
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 07:37:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rocky the Dog [+]
Your dealer is talking bollox.  The SX has a very smooth and positive gearbox and provided the gear lever is in the correct position it should shift smoothly through the range - there can be a bit of a clunk between 1st and 2nd but that's normal on most boxes.  If its stiff or not positive sounds like something is adrift but if you can ride another as a comparison that would be a good way to double check. However from your description it does not sound right and no the SX is not known for sticky gearboxes - that has not been a trend on this Forum in the 4 years I have used it.

Rgds Steve

:461: :460:
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline trivster

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marazion
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 11:14:29 AM »
Yep agree with all that is said about the Kawasaki gearbox, not known for any issues.  They're not as slick as say a Suzuki but still right up there with the best.  I had a similar issue with a Triumph Explorer 1200 and that turned out to be poorly manufactured (like the rest of the bike) selector forks - the symptoms were very hard to engage gears up and down and would jump out of 2nd , presumably because that's the hardest one to engage from 1st to neutral to 2nd.  The new fork and selector entire assembly was replaced under warranty and it was like night and day.

Online cyanide sid

• SX Pro
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »
Yes and agree with that , had mine three yrs now and a slick gear box from the word go
all I get is that clunk going into first from a stand still , never found a false neutral, so I would
think unless the leaver position is a long way out then something is wrong in the box  :027:

Offline georgeo

• SX Junior
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Selby
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 11:54:47 AM »
The only thing I have found with mine, 2018 Bought in July now has 1500 miles, is it sometimes clunks when going up to 4th from 3rd, doesn't always do it so not sure if it's me or the bike.

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
This bike definitely has a nice gear box, but it does require a positive shift and the lever to be setup correctly for your foot and ankle movement!  :028:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008: