Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New member from Sheffield  (Read 413 times)

Offline Snelly

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Nothing yet...
  • City / Town: Sheffield
New member from Sheffield
« on: August 10, 2018, 05:26:12 PM »
Hi All,

I don't have a Z1000SX but am considering buying one in the next two weeks.  I have just passed my Mod2.

Am I being over-ambitious?  Should I start smaller?  The 650 I have been riding with the bike school seems fine but I feel a little cramped on it as I am over 6 foot. Also worth noting that I am 47 and have had a few fast cars so am well past my driving too fast phase.  More importantly, we want to get a bike that my wife and I can tour Europe on, that I can also use as my year-round transport and can still offer excitement during a fast ride through the Peak District.

The Z1000SX seems like a good option as it ticks all these boxes according to everything I have read. I also need something with relatively narrow bars so that it can be stored at the back of our house and it is a narrow passage to get it there which prevents us from going for our original choice - a Multistrada. 

I need to test ride obviously but would appreciate any constructive comments. 

Apologies if this should be in a different section.

Thanks.

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Re: New member from Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 05:51:27 PM »
 :401: to the forum and your pending SX.  :031:

At your age and height, anything less you would literally grow out of in months!  :008:

You'll find it easier to ride than the bikes you've trained on, but you will get HAMMERED on insurance!  :164:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline Snelly

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 06:13:51 PM »
Thanks - appreciate the response.

Insurance - I have been quoted around £650 which sounds fine to me as my current car costs more than that and the car is going to be sold and replaced by the new bike.

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 11:32:32 PM »
I did the ninja.650 route for 1 year, for me.personally I would say the experience in that 1 year was invaluable to helping me ride the z1000sx.im not preaching though, you get what's best for you and your lifestyle. My route is what suited me best.

Have considered a tracer 700 or a versys 650?

Offline Foxy

• SX Master
  • Bike: Black 2011 SX AB
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 06:25:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum Snelly.

If you're going to be touring two up through Europe then you definitely need to consider a top box with back rest and an improved rear pillion seat. 

My wife and I went to Bavaria earlier this year and whilst it was doable it certainly isn't the most comfortable passenger experience. Other than that it's a great all rounder  :028:

Offline Raginghulk

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000 SX
  • City / Town: Cramlington
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 07:25:07 AM »
 :401: :820:

Go for it, great bike
If your not smiling after a ride, go and do it again till you are!!
😃😃😃

Offline sooty66

• SX Pro
  • Bike: z1000sx 2018
  • City / Town: knaresborough
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 08:24:59 AM »
 :401:  :031: on the sporty side of sports tourer,but go steady and settle into it and you'll be fine,test ride is always good,but make sure its for a decent amount of time and mixed roads,town,country and dual carriage ways or motorways,give yourself the best cross section,but remember if some bad points do pop up they can usually be worked out by mods,great place on here for solutions and advice
Once you've had black,you'll never look back

Offline Popinman

• SX Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 03:38:00 PM »
Welcome.

100% recommend the SX, even as a first bike for someone the same age as myself.  We’re all sensible 40 something’s aren't we.....?  :038:

I carry my daughter as pillion from time to time and would definitely want a top box with back rest and do something to the seat. If you’re going to carry a pillion regularly though, you might want to consider something less Sporty and more Touring (dare I say it....
GS maybe?)  :005:

Offline Snelly

• SX Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 10:26:50 AM »
Thanks for all the replies - most helpful.

As to the suggestions; GS, Versys, Tracer etc - they all have bars that are too wide for the passage  next to our house unfortunately.

It is for this reason I can't go for my original preference which was a Multistrada 1260S.

I have been thinking about the BMW S1000XR though and plan to test ride this too.

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX Master
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2017 Ninja 650
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Snelly [+]
Thanks for all the replies - most helpful.

As to the suggestions; GS, Versys, Tracer etc - they all have bars that are too wide for the passage  next to our house unfortunately.

It is for this reason I can't go for my original preference which was a Multistrada 1260S.

I have been thinking about the BMW S1000XR though and plan to test ride this too.

Well you can't go too far wrong with the sx, the feeling is good and the power delivery smooth (smoother than my 650 twin) scouts actually easier to control. The electronic nannies are a help too. There's some good deals on at the moment to boot

expletive