Active Topics

Author Topic: ABS light staying on all the time  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Stekeleyman

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000 SX
ABS light staying on all the time
on: 07 Aug 18, 03:44:51
I bought this bike knowing the ABS light was staying on, I can start working my way through every part to find the fault but if anyone has had the same problem it would save me a lot of time if you could point me in the right direction. It's 2013 done 18T, it had been kept outside.

Offline Rocky the Dog

• SX God
  • Bike: XR34 and TZ350
  • City / Town: Newent & Marlow
Re: ABS light staying on all the time
Reply #1 on: 07 Aug 18, 06:50:21
It could be a wide variety of problems from a failure in the wiring, the abs modulator unit to one of the front or rear abs sensors (they are easily damaged removing a wheel or even a central computer failure but if everything else is fine that should be OK. One of the easiest ways to check is to get a dealer to plug her in and see what fault codes come up.  It's probably the best way as you could spend ages replacing the parts and murphys law says it will be last bit you replace that is causing the fault.  Sadly, I think there are no shortcuts here. Also if the light remains on under the new MOT rules it's an automatic failure.  Sorry if this is not what you want to hear.
Rgds Steve
Last Edit: 07 Aug 18, 06:53:47 by Rocky the Dog
Only a Biker understands why a dog puts its head out of car windows

Offline maccmike

• SX God
  • Bike: Z1000SX Black
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Reply #2 on: 07 Aug 18, 07:21:23
This may be of interest to you, worth a punt.

https://www.z1000sx.co.uk/index.php?topic=3176.0

Offline Stekeleyman

• SX Junior
  • Bike: Z1000 SX
Reply #3 on: 07 Aug 18, 10:02:41
The ABS is working so I thought I would live the light staying on if I could not solve the problem, I didn't know about the new mot reg re failure if the light stays on, that makes more of a priority. Thanks for your help.

Offline burty

• SX God
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
Reply #4 on: 08 Aug 18, 06:27:21
*Originally Posted by Stekeleyman [+]
The ABS is working so I thought I would live the light staying on if I could not solve the problem, I didn't know about the new mot reg re failure if the light stays on, that makes more of a priority. Thanks for your help.

Aside from the fact that it's an mot failure, technically you are breaking the law riding with a defective braking system, and the light being on indicates a defect.

Check out the abs diagnostic section in the workshop manual, there is a fair bit of diagnostics that you can do at home without special equipment.
Last Edit: 08 Aug 18, 06:30:34 by burty
2017 Z1000SX, in black.  Roughly 70000 miles and 8 years on SXs.

expletive