Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Disappointed 😢  (Read 7524 times)

Offline John chamney

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Cosby Leicester
Disappointed 😢
« on: July 14, 2018, 12:02:51 AM »
 So , bought my sx in May 2017 brand new having covered only 260 miles that year . Managed to put another 20 miles on it in May of this year . On Tuesday this week I managed to get out on it again , after ten miles I noticed the red warning light come on the dash and noticed the temperature gauge at the top , I pulled over as soon as a lay-by was to hand , to which the bike spewed out radiator coolant and had also covered the rear wheel and a snail trail behind me , typically breakdown cover had finished a few weeks before  :230:. Having it recovered and delivered to my local dealership it’s not quite clear as to the problem , having gone through the most obvious reasons it’s now down to a cylinder or cylinders leaking hot gasses into the water side of things ! After 280 miles whilst being treated with kid gloves at no more than 4000 rpm ! Don’t know if anyone else has come across this problem ? . If am honest I don’t really want the bike back would rather they swap for a new one , but can’t see that happening, I bought it new because I wanted one that hadn’t been messed with , anyone come across this  :023:

Offline whyhaveone

• SX God
  • Bike: 2016 Z1000SX ABS
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Re: Disappointed 😢
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 12:07:30 AM »
It's still under warranty, so I'd be waiting on the dealer to advise what the problem is
Kawasaki: 1975 250-S1C; 1977 Z650-B1; 1980 Z1000 MKII A3; 2010 ER6n; 2013 Z1000SX ABS; 2016 Z1000SX ABS Tourer

Offline John chamney

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 12:33:52 AM »
Paid £10500 for something I no longer have faith in and isn’t fit for purpose .

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 12:54:02 AM »
John your bound to be upset and having to pay for towing it back doesn't help either.

It's better to wait for dealer to give thier assessment and review things in the cool light of day. it could be something as simple as a coolant hose popping off. Thankfully you are still under warranty and given your mileage will have a good negotiating point. But you don't want to burn any bridges before you know what the problem is.

Good luck and do keep us updated!
2017 ninja 650 SOLD

Offline Shandy

• SX Master
  • A Motorbike's For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!
  • Bike: ‘16 Z1000SX Blue
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 08:10:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ninjamaster [+]
John your bound to be upset and having to pay for towing it back doesn't help either.

It's better to wait for dealer to give thier assessment and review things in the cool light of day. it could be something as simple as a coolant hose popping off. Thankfully you are still under warranty and given your mileage will have a good negotiating point. But you don't want to burn any bridges before you know what the problem is.

Good luck and do keep us updated!

:461: :460:

Good Luck John, fingers crossed it's something simple and your faith is restored!   :028:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:15:52 AM by Shandy »
Support Your NHS @ 70yrs old

Offline Teaboy

• SX Pro
  • Bike: 18 Fusion Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 08:29:12 AM »
Hmmm  having  a coolant leak doesn't quite constitute not fit for purpose let dealer sort problem if it is a more major issue such as a head gasket blown  try the how about giving me the 2 year extended warranty as a goodwill gesture  approach. Oh and 280 miles in over 12 months !!! did you check there wasn't a bird nesting or a mass of spiders webs blocking the radiator before you went out for the fateful ride ?  :008:

Offline John chamney

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 12:51:42 AM »
It’s obviously not fit for purpose if it overheats , unless of course you think it’s acceptable to wait half an hour for it to cool down before you can do another couple of miles ! . Unfortunately have not been able to put many miles on the bike due to unforeseen circumstances But there were certainly no critters hiding anywhere . The lack of miles to me doesn’t seem to warrant a reason for the bike to go wrong quite the opposite, maybe so if it had stood for a few years . The radiator isn’t the problem, there are no leaks or issues with the hoses , it just gets hotter and hotter till water is forced out the expansion tank at pressure, leading them to think that one of the cylinders is pushing hot gas into the water system . Given the fact the bike is being run in at 4000rpm , the mileage and it’s age I personally don’t think this is acceptable. :827:

Offline cyanide sid

• SX Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 09:17:06 AM »
That's got to be disappointing in a new bike , your confidence in it will be zilch even when fixed.
My money is on a blown head gasket .

Offline Manic636

• SX Pro
  • Gadget Loving Bike Riding Idiot - Dont Judge Me
  • Bike: 2014 MEF
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 09:23:35 AM »
John obviously it is frustrating when something goes wrong but of course that is what a warranty is for, given such low miles I'm assuming you had the first service done based on time?
Did the temp gauge not give you a clue the engine temp was climbing?

Offline Ninjamaster

• SX God
  • What's a corner?
  • Bike: 2018 z1000sx
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 10:00:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by John chamney [+]
It’s obviously not fit for purpose if it overheats , unless of course you think it’s acceptable to wait half an hour for it to cool down before you can do another couple of miles ! . Unfortunately have not been able to put many miles on the bike due to unforeseen circumstances But there were certainly no critters hiding anywhere . The lack of miles to me doesn’t seem to warrant a reason for the bike to go wrong quite the opposite, maybe so if it had stood for a few years . The radiator isn’t the problem, there are no leaks or issues with the hoses , it just gets hotter and hotter till water is forced out the expansion tank at pressure, leading them to think that one of the cylinders is pushing hot gas into the water system . Given the fact the bike is being run in at 4000rpm , the mileage and it’s age I personally don’t think this is acceptable. :827:

I understand John and you might be right! I think my real point was mostly about trying not to go 'all gunz blazing' to the dealer/kawasaki in the first instance. Your post and tone suggest your irate also (which is completely understandable given the circumstances).  But your approach will either complicate things or make them easier for you!

Let them have look, will give you an idea of where you are with the bike and then negotiate a way forward amicably. Of course over time if your not getting anywhere then you start to dial things up according to the situation.

In any case it would good to hear follow up  about what happens and good luck!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:03:22 AM by Ninjamaster »
2017 ninja 650 SOLD