Active Topics

Author Topic: Just got screwed by Hastings  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Raginghulk

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000 SX
  • City / Town: Cramlington
Just got screwed by Hastings
on: 09 Jul 18, 01:33:40
 :230:
Just went to transfer my bike insurance to the new Z1000sx for tomorrow, my current insurer (Hastings direct) would not cover me on the new bike!!

They said I needed 3 years riding and won’t cover me.

I’ve had to start a new policy with Bennett’s who will, but as I need to cancel my current policy when I trade my bike in I lose the 9 months no claims I’d earned.

This insurance business is a total racket  :230:
Grrrrrrrr
If your not smiling after a ride, go and do it again till you are!!
😃😃😃

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Re: Just got screwed by Hastings
Reply #1 on: 09 Jul 18, 01:57:52
 :461:, same thing happened to me when I bought my SX, I lost almost 7 months because they wanted at least 2 years on a one litre bike first  :oh_no:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline trivster

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marazion
Reply #2 on: 09 Jul 18, 02:34:01
*Originally Posted by Raginghulk [+]
Just went to transfer my bike insurance to the new Z1000sx for tomorrow, my current insurer (Hastings direct) would not cover me on the new bike!!

I’ve had to start a new policy with Bennett’s who will, but as I need to cancel my current policy when I trade my bike in I lose the 9 months no claims I’d earned.

Grrrrrrrr

Well I'm not in the business of defending insurance companies but it is up to you to research the insurance arrangements BEFORE you trade in your old bike for a more powerful one.  The 3 year rule is there for good reason, so you don't jump on a 140hp motorcycle and kill yourself and possibly, others.  Also, you can't 'earn' 9 months no claims discount, it has to be done in whole years.  You may not like it but it is all in the small print - or you can ring the insurance broker or company and ask them.  Nothing is gained by complaining after the fact.  This is all part of your learning to ride a bike.

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Reply #3 on: 09 Jul 18, 03:16:48
*Originally Posted by trivster [+]
Well I'm not in the business of defending insurance companies but it is up to you to research the insurance arrangements BEFORE you trade in your old bike for a more powerful one.  The 3 year rule is there for good reason, so you don't jump on a 140hp motorcycle and kill yourself and possibly, others.  Also, you can't 'earn' 9 months no claims discount, it has to be done in whole years.  You may not like it but it is all in the small print - or you can ring the insurance broker or company and ask them.  Nothing is gained by complaining after the fact.  This is all part of your learning to ride a bike.

:461: with you also...in part sadly :006: but you lost me at the end...as it has nothing to do with learning to ride a bike  :187:

At the time my then insurance company said they would happily update my existing policy for me, but wanted more to do it for the remaining 5 months and one week (for the year) than it cost me for a brand new policy  :112:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline trivster

• SX Master
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marazion
Reply #4 on: 09 Jul 18, 03:26:31
Well perhaps not learning ride the bike but it's a lesson in bike ownership, is what I should have said, that learning about the insurance and it's limitations is all part of the experience.

Offline Raginghulk

• SX Member
  • Bike: 2018 Z1000 SX
  • City / Town: Cramlington
Reply #5 on: 09 Jul 18, 03:43:45
*Originally Posted by trivster [+]

This would be a fine point if 18 different companies were not happy to insure me!!!!!!!
If your not smiling after a ride, go and do it again till you are!!
😃😃😃

Offline tonytango

• SX Junior
Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 20, 06:56:37
*Originally Posted by Raginghulk [+]

Grrrrrrrr

i changed my insurance over from my tracer 900gt to a z1000sx two days ago, received the documents in the post today only to find that they have got the wrong bike down they have changed the bike from my tracer to a z1000 h2 I phoned them and they said that the dealer got it wrong so I contacted the dealer and he said that it's not the first time he has had this problem and it's the underwriters who have got it wrong, called Hastings again and they said that they could not insure me but I still have to pay the last two month's left on the policy £116 went on go compare and went with Kawasaki insurance no problem.

Offline MattS

• SX Member
Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 20, 07:41:13
Funny, I quoted for another Z1000sx before committing to buy mine and both came up as H2 sx's on the underwriter's database.
And I got reamed out a bit too as a 38 year old with 9 years NCB... The Superduke 1290 was cheaper to insure.

Offline tonyt4

• SX Member
Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 20, 09:37:33
I understand it is almost a standard fault that the SX appears as a H2.  After putting in the reg number you should get an option "this is not my bike" etc and manually change it
Scared the life out of me when I got my SX last year and the cheapest sensible quote was £5,000   :005: :005:
tony

Offline Scotty001

• SX God
  • Bike: 17 Z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 20, 10:02:03
*Originally Posted by tonyt4 [+]
I understand it is almost a standard fault that the SX appears as a H2.  After putting in the reg number you should get an option "this is not my bike" etc and manually change it
Scared the life out of me when I got my SX last year and the cheapest sensible quote was £5,000   :005: :005:
tony

It's an odd one is it, I always het h2 with my reg, last time I called the insurance Co to say it had the wrong bike they asked "if I was sure" they then tlre quoted for an sx and it was more expensive, they said it was probably because my sx was more powerful. I chuckled when I said no the H2 is a hyperbike with a super charger and the sx doesn't have a supercharged engine. They then asked again if I was sure my bike wasn't a H2, I told them I'd know if my engine had a supercharger on it and that doesn't explain why its cheaper to insure a supercharged hyper bike than a touring bike.

expletive