Active Topics

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Angel ST's  (Read 756 times)

Offline AndyAy

• SX Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Angel ST's
« on: June 18, 2018, 10:28:59 PM »
The Pirelli Angel ST doesn't feature in the poll, so for anyone who's thinking of using these bargain basement goodies read on.;

I was not happy with the oem S20's. I found them vague/twitchy at the front and not grippy enough at the rear. Don't know about wet grip, not been caught out yet. After 1500 miles they seemed to be improving (or I was getting used to them), but it was really putting me off the bike. So it was new tyres or a new bike. Thankfully, I went for the former.

I couldn't justify the well over £200 for the top drawer rubber (Angel GT's, Roadtec 01's were first on my list) that might not have sorted the problem, i.e. just been more expense added to a bike that was going to have to go.

Anyway, after a lot of researching, and humming and harring, I thought I'd give the Angel ST's a punt for £160/pair plus fitting. And... Yay! Result! Even before scrubbing in they felt more stable, and things got quickly even better. Now I've got several hundred miles on them I'm so pleased I didn't give up on her. The bike feels more planted in the bends, less jittery on the straights, and the frequent spinning of the rear wheel in hard welly first hasn't happened once yet. The only negative I've found is that you do feel bumps more on them ( I guess it's a stiffer sidewall). Oh, and the garage scratched my wheel putting on the rear tyre (grrr...).
So I'm happy and really enjoy the ride outs now. Of course I wonder how much better again the latest whiz bang rubber is, but it can wait, and I might just stick with the ST's anyway.

ps; the neighbours are sick of me banging on about the angel motif on the tyres ("look, can you see it? And it turns into a devil as it wears! See?"  :celebrate:
C100; C90; CB125S; RD200DX; CB125T; CB750FB; VFR750 (x2); NS400R (on loan); CBR1000FL; FIREBLADE 1996; TRANSALP, AFRICA TWIN; BLACKBIRD (x3), 1996, 2000, 2006; HAYABUSA 2006; FJR1300 2004; VARADERO (x3) 1999, 2001, 2008; VFR400R 1989; BMW R1200GS (x2); and now... Z1000SX 2017.

Offline Dartagnan

• SX Pro
  • They be treacle mines out the back..
Re: Angel ST's
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 11:02:30 PM »
I've had the angels, brilliant tyre for a great price which is always nice.

Offline Buster Ray

• SX Pro
  • Buster Ray
  • Bike: z1000sx 2015
  • City / Town: Swinton/S. Yorks
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 06:30:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by AndyAy [+]
The Pirelli Angel ST doesn't feature in the poll, so for anyone who's thinking of using these bargain basement goodies read on.;

I was not happy with the oem S20's. I found them vague/twitchy at the front and not grippy enough at the rear. Don't know about wet grip, not been caught out yet. After 1500 miles they seemed to be improving (or I was getting used to them), but it was really putting me off the bike. So it was new tyres or a new bike. Thankfully, I went for the former.

I couldn't justify the well over £200 for the top drawer rubber (Angel GT's, Roadtec 01's were first on my list) that might not have sorted the problem, i.e. just been more expense added to a bike that was going to have to go.

Anyway, after a lot of researching, and humming and harring, I thought I'd give the Angel ST's a punt for £160/pair plus fitting. And... Yay! Result! Even before scrubbing in they felt more stable, and things got quickly even better. Now I've got several hundred miles on them I'm so pleased I didn't give up on her. The bike feels more planted in the bends, less jittery on the straights, and the frequent spinning of the rear wheel in hard welly first hasn't happened once yet. The only negative I've found is that you do feel bumps more on them ( I guess it's a stiffer sidewall). Oh, and the garage scratched my wheel putting on the rear tyre (grrr...).
So I'm happy and really enjoy the ride outs now. Of course I wonder how much better again the latest whiz bang rubber is, but it can wait, and I might just stick with the ST's anyway.

ps; the neighbours are sick of me banging on about the angel motif on the tyres ("look, can you see it? And it turns into a devil as it wears! See?"  :celebrate:

Put them on my SX and it transformed the bike, so pleased with them that I just fitted them on my wife's ER6N.
Great tyre for the money.
2015 Touring, Red and Black. Custom Seat. Puig DB Black Screen. Evotech Rad Guard. Leo Vince Cans, R&G boot guards, frame caps and crash bungs
Sent from a phone, using my thumbs.

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 06:35:29 AM »
When buying older model tyres just keep an eye on the manufacture year.
They're cheaper for a reason. Everything has a shelf life and advised use by date  :028:

Tyres need to be stored correctly to stop them prematurely aging...
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline Buster Ray

• SX Pro
  • Buster Ray
  • Bike: z1000sx 2015
  • City / Town: Swinton/S. Yorks
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 06:43:44 AM »
Thanks mate, all good, from J & S Doncaster
2015 Touring, Red and Black. Custom Seat. Puig DB Black Screen. Evotech Rad Guard. Leo Vince Cans, R&G boot guards, frame caps and crash bungs
Sent from a phone, using my thumbs.

Offline commander

• SX Junior
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 03:57:55 PM »
Had a set of Metz. 01's fitted last week, £275 inc. fitting. Done 400 miles on them, seem like a decent tyre, although I never had a problem with original tyres apart from the twitchiness of the front which I put down the front tyre being quite worn when I purchased the bike at 3000 miles. Any one managed to scrub the elephant motif off? Only managed to reach its trunk up to now. Must try harder.   

Offline mdr1970

• SX God
  • Life is simply too short for traffic...
  • Bike: 2014 ABS (MEF)
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 04:14:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by commander [+]
Any one managed to scrub the elephant motif off? Only managed to reach its trunk up to now. Must try harder.   

Almost  :008:
2014 Z1000sx Blacknificent Made in JAPAN, Perfected in the UK   :038:   :008:

Offline commander

• SX Junior
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 05:05:12 PM »
Nice one! Dont think ime that brave, although in my defence all my riding up to now has been two up and fully loaded panniers. Dont want to upset the missus! :008:

Offline mick9879

• SX Master
  • Bike: z1000sx
  • City / Town: Hythe,Hampshire
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 12:17:47 AM »
Hi, been using ST's on mine for the last 5 years. I just don't get why people pay top whack for the latest tyre. The ST's have been brilliant on the road. Done 3 track day sessions on them and they are not too good on the track, turn into jelly after a couple of laps but on the road they are brilliant. Off to Spain in a couple of weeks for the 3rd time and they have performed great out there.

Ride safe,

Mick.

Offline Dartagnan

• SX Pro
  • They be treacle mines out the back..
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 05:07:03 AM »
I've used angels before, a good fairly cheap tyres great value for money, I'm on Michelin P5 now not cheap but they have transformed the bike in every way. It's unbelievable how well they work in every way.
Ive never tried the P4s I'd like to know what someone who has compare them to the P5s